+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terry Pratchett

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Terry Pratchett

Sad news for any fans of the Discworld series:

(from Author Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's - USATODAY.com)

Author Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's

LONDON — Best-selling fantasy author Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with a rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, he said in a message posted to his illustrator's website.

In a brief note to fans entitled An Embuggerance, Pratchett, 59, said he was taking the news "fairly philosophically" and "possibly with a mild optimism."

"I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news," he wrote on the website of Paul Kidby, who has illustrated many of his books.

Pratchett is best known for his Discworld series, which explores the residents of very flat, very weird and almost invariably hilarious planet dominated by the sprawling, chaotic city of Ankh-Morpork. Pratchett wrote his first Discworld novel, The Color of Magic, in 1983, and 35 more books followed, many of which topped the best seller charts.

Pratchett's website said his novels have sold more than 45 million copies and have been translated into 33 languages worldwide.

His latest work, Making Money, was published in September and Harper Children's was due publish a non-Discworld novel, Nation, in 2008.

Pratchett said he would continue completing Nation and that he had already begun working on Unseen Academicals— another writing project.

"Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet )" he wrote in his message. "I know it's a very human thing to say 'Is there anything I can do,' but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry."
    I stumbled across the Discworld series last year; while looking up the latest by Christopher Moore, I saw Pratchett listed as recommended author of humor novels. After reading "The Color of Magic", I was totally hooked. One of the great things about this series is that it isn't necessary to read the books in the order written; although they all take place in Discworld (a flat planet held up by four elephants riding on the back of a giant space turtle) and the characters cross paths frequently, each book tells its own story without relying much (if at all) on previous volumes. I recommend the series to anyone who likes the fantasy/magic angle written with style, vivid descriptions and sparkling wit.

The saddest and most ironic part about this is that someone who relies so heavily on and makes his livelihood with his wit, imagination, and coherence will soon lose them, and far too young at only 59 years old. Though he's written a great many works so far, it's a terrible shame that we'll be denied his talent and possible future writings as the disease progresses.
    Last edited by gren; Dec 27, 2007 at 01:48 AM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gren For This Useful Post:

Evol (Dec 27, 2007)

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Terry Pratchett

wow Discworld, your comment about being able to read the series out of sequence is spot on. I got into Discworld when I was younger but from what I remember my favorite aspect of his novels are his random footnotes where he often comments on his own narrative.

Shame about his disease. Witty bugger.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Terry Pratchett

I refuse to believe that he is sick. Absolutely refuse . . . I love Terry Pratchett like a second father . . . He's my favourite author in the world (and I read like a maniac . . . silly English major that I am).

His satires are amazing; I actually read "Where's My Cow?" to my younger cousins as a bedtime story.

+ Reply to Thread