+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thats not Goth! lol

Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats not Goth! lol

Most of you are familar with the music genre 'Goth', well being into the The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Nosferatu and Bauhaus, so am I.
    oh wait, we're you expecting me to say, Marilyn Manson, HIM, Evanescence, and Cradle of Filth?

I can imagine you might want to find out what Goth is exactly about (unless you allready know offcourse). Simply put its a Postpunk based musical genre with its own music subculture that grew arround it. No there isn't any connection to Metal or Industrial at all. To put it simple:
    What is Goth? (Gothic FAQ)
    Unfortunately the previous What Is Goth topic was way to long and messy. Things have been added by ten different people and nobody was able to make sense of it all anymore. So I've decided to unstick the previous topic and replace it with the following:

What is Gothic?
    Its a genre of music a kind of dark Postpunk that developed in the late 70s and early 80s.
    Its also a subculture, a group of people united by their love for this music called Goths.

What is Gothic music?
    As allready mentioned its a kind of dark Postpunk. Which means it developed from Punk. And indeed many Goth bands do still resemble Punk a lot in sound.
    Bauhaus, The Sisters Of Mercy, Christian Death, The Cure, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Alien Sex Fiend,... are some of the prominent Goth classics. But Goth didn't die after the 80s, it just went underground. There are plenty of popular newer Goth bands to like Cinema Strange, Bloody Dead And Sexy, Elusive, Frank The Baptist, All Gone Dead, Eat Your Make-Up,... There is a much longer list of Goth bands below.

Are there different kinds of Goth music?
    Yes, there are a handfull of Goth subgenres in existence. Goth comes in two big categories, bands with a first generation sound and bands with a second generation sound.

The first generation is the first Goth music and later bands with the same sound. This is all still fairly close to Punk. Under it fall three Goth subgenres; Deathrock, Batcave and 80s Popgoth.
    Deathrock was the first generation of Goth that developed in America. Of all the subgenres its closest to Goth. Famous Deathrock bands are Christian Death, Kommunity FK and 45 Grave.
    Batcave was the first generation of Goth that developed in Europe. It usually had a more gloomy and experimental sound to it, like Alien Sex Fiend, Specimen and Virgin Prunes.
    80s Popgoth isn't really a subgenre. But some early Goth bands defied classification into a subgenre, like The Cure and Siouxsie And The Banshees.

The second generation of Goth broke through in the mid 80s. A new kind of Goth had evolved away from the Punk roots. It still sounded Goth but different. Two subgenres used to fall under it; Gothic Rock and Dark Wave.
    Gothic Rock is Goth with some Hard Rock influences, usually with deep male vocals. The most famous bands are The Sisters Of Mercy, Fields Of The Nephilim and The Mission.
    Dark Wave is Goth with some ethereal and electronic influences added. It doesn't exist anymore as a Goth subgenre. Dark Wave has for the most part moved away from its Goth roots and is now a seperate genre. Only a minority stay true to the Goth sound today. Examples of "Gothic Dark Wave" are Xymox, Frozen Autumn and Sopor Aeternus.

Isn't Metal and Rock like Nightwish, Cradle Of Filth, Evanescence, Marilyn Manson, Within Temptation,... Goth?
    No, I'm afraid not. Completly different kinds of music. Even Gothic Metal is in fact not Goth, its just a name. This music gets confused a lot cause its also very dark themed. And because a lot of its fans (usually Metalheads) wear black clothing to. Which makes them similar in look to Goths for the casual observer.

Isn't electronic music like Combichrist, VNV Nation, Grendel, Covenant, Front 242,... Goth?
    Again no, completly different kind of music. This music or its fans (Cybers usually) don't really resemble Goth anyway. With the exception of a minority of Cybers that sometimes dresses a bit Goth. This music gets confused with Goth cause it gets played side by side with Goth on a number of clubnights and festivals. Allthough this is getting more and more rare.
    What other musical genres and prominent bands are wrongly confused with Goth?
     click to show spoiler

The Gothic List
    I finally leave you with a big list with almost every Goth band worth mentioning included. If you want to check a band out just click on its name. You should be taken to site where you can listen to them.
     click to show spoiler

this is not a list thread, its just i feel like pointing out that the term 'goth' is a little overused. i wore all black to school, and a couple girls started teasing me for it.
    "look! he's gone all goth on us",
    listen, like 'emo' its a music statement, not a state of mind.
    any confusions? VampireFreaks.com - Gothic Industrial Culture ( also look at the pics, please.)

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Thats not Goth! lol

If you'd like a funny song about the Goth subculture, might I suggest "If I Only Were a Goth" by Thou Shalt Not
    Why hello there!

Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Thanks

lol, relating to another thread, the South Park portrayal actually makes a hell of a lot of sense and i love it.

Otaku Click The Colour Champion darkangel1240 is off to a good start darkangel1240's Avatar
    Thanks

I heard of some of those bands. But, they seem unknown to me. I never knew Marilyn Manson and HIM weren't gothic music. They seem like it. But, i think they fit into the more of a punk-metal kind of music. and, i don't even know that there is such thing as Punk Metal. Could like idk just a bunch of random bands that come to mind could be some what goth?

Atreyu
    The Birthday Massacure
    Dir en Grey
    I Am Ghost
    The Misfits
    Skillet
    The Used
    30 Seconds To Mars?

I know for sure that The Cure is goth. lol

Vampire Freaks☠I am not going 2 be on for awhile... ☠

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

What Goth really is in fact a name from a mid evil clan of Barbarians from Western Europe called The Visa Goths. The Goths are they were simply called were actually relatively peaceful people, but were subjugated by the Roman Empire and were looked down upon even more so by the Romans then any other faction in the Empire. Many young men were taken from the Goths and thrown in as soldiers for the empire where they were used as cannon fauder. Still the Goths did their best to negotiate with the Romans but to no avail, the Romans simply enacted even harsher laws upon the Goths and the mistreatment got even worse as well as the fact they were given very poor land for agriculture.
    Eventually the Goths had enough and ransack Rome and other cities, demanding to be treated better. The empire eventually bent to their demands momentarily and waited for the Goths to call down before in acting even harsher laws and punished thousands for what they did. Again, the Goths rose up and ransack the Roman Empire until they were eventually defeated and driven out.

"Goths" of today took the name of the Visa Goths do to their mistreatment they were subjugated to and there for found a commonality with the Visa Goths, believing that they to are mistreated and misunderstood. Other then that there is really no similarity between the Goths of today and the real Goths of old.

So in truth, what most people think is "Goth" is in fact not Goth it self.

Brought to you by... A breaf history lesten do to bordome.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Thanks

I agree with Scourge, however i am talking more about music than actual history of real visa goths. because then i'd bring in Gothc art and architectures too.

lol, sorry.dark angel, i don't think any of those are goth..lol.
    its complicated, but i mean people made it complicated.
    those are more into alternative and metal/punk than goth. Goth music has a very unique sound.

Otaku nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz's Avatar
    Thanks

Its hard for me to post here after Scourge's history lesson and Nightmare's music input.
    The best I can do is agree with them both....
    I guess the only thing I can say is one of my frases...

I see the world is bright, but I find peace in the darkness...
    Kamen Rider....DECADE!!!

Otaku Robo Soccer Champion, Gorillaz Groove Session Champion blackrose92 is off to a good start blackrose92's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EmoNightmareRose View Post
    I agree with Scourge, however i am talking more about music than actual history of real visa goths. because then i'd bring in Gothc art and architectures too.

lol, sorry.dark angel, i don't think any of those are goth..lol.
    its complicated, but i mean people made it complicated.
    those are more into alternative and metal/punk than goth. Goth music has a very unique sound.
    really i didnt know it had a unique sound to it at all i just thought it was a bunch of screamo music? yes? no? o.0
    I'm the best you'll ever have because i am that f*ing AMA-zing chic who can stand on her own d*n feet and becasue of you I am the Greatest Thank you so much SasuraiHell and Gwen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast