View Poll Results: Should one American show get counted as anime when the other is not?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

6 15.38%
  • No.

18 46.15%
  • Who the *&$% cares?!

15 38.46%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Totally unfair... (Avatar vs. The Boondocks)

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Totally unfair... (Avatar vs. The Boondocks)

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it's strange and unfair to classify Avatar: The Last Air Bender as an anime series (something that was created here in America), but The Boondocks gets the shaft? I'm not starting a complaint thread, I just want opinions.

Why does Avatar get to be considered anime when it was created by Americans just like The Boondocks. Were my brother here, he'd say something like, "That's racism in a cup!" LOL. What's your opinion? Should Avatar be counted as anime? Why shouldn't The Boondocks?

Anime = anything animated. Of course, it has come to identify a certain style (often indicated by chibis, big eyes, etc.). Avatar fits that style; Boondocks . . . doesn't exactly. I count both of them as American anime, though.

(Ugh . . . I misread the poll. My vote is for No, not Yes. Sorry.)

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Boondocks also doesn't have the following that Avatar does for one simple reason: Boondocks is a Cartoon aimed at adults. There's a reason why its shown on Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network.

Avatar is aimed at a younger audience, and there fore has more exposure and has a bigger audience. It also got its slot in the Series Discussion sub forums because (like deodaclan18 said), the community showed a significant interest, and there was enough discussion on the boards to warrant it getting its own section.

The fact that the section its in being named "Anime Series" does not mean that AO considers it an Anime (In fact, the majority (if not all) of the staff including myself either don't consider it one, or just don't care).

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Boondocks also doesn't have the following that Avatar does for one simple reason: Boondocks is a Cartoon aimed at adults. There's a reason why its shown on Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network.

Avatar is aimed at a younger audience, and there fore has more exposure and has a bigger audience. It also got its slot in the Series Discussion sub forums because (like deodaclan18 said), the community showed a significant interest, and there was enough discussion on the boards to warrant it getting its own section.

The fact that the section its in being named "Anime Series" does not mean that AO considers it an Anime (In fact, the majority (if not all) of the staff including myself either don't consider it one, or just don't care).
    The fact that one is aimed toward adults and the other toward children shouldn't matter--Japanese anime does that all the friggin' time! My neighbor Totoro is for kids, but Ghost in the Shell is for adults--both are considered anime, regardless of the age gap.

I can understand that Avatar gets a lot of talk here and I said earlier that I don't hate that fact--I love Avatar! But you can't call one show anime and the other chicken soup. If both of them aren't anime then one shouldn't be counted as anime when the other doesn't get the same opinion. That's what I think.

Otaku ILikeApples5520 is off to a good start ILikeApples5520's Avatar
    Thanks

Definition of Anime-Wiktionary

Anime is animation produced in Japan.

The argument on that should end there. But Avatar and The Boondocks have definite anime styles in them.

They are not anime, but anime-style animation.

Thanks to _gwenibe_ for this awesome sig!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    The fact that one is aimed toward adults and the other toward children shouldn't matter--Japanese anime does that all the friggin' time! My neighbor Totoro is for kids, but Ghost in the Shell is for adults--both are considered anime, regardless of the age gap.

I can understand that Avatar gets a lot of talk here and I said earlier that I don't hate that fact--I love Avatar! But you can't call one show anime and the other chicken soup. If both of them aren't anime then one shouldn't be counted as anime when the other doesn't get the same opinion. That's what I think.

Actually, it matters a great deal. I only mentioned that it was aimed at adults to show that it doesn't have the audience that the other show aimed at a younger audience has, I can assure you that factor didn't play into Avatar getting its own section.

This forum is for quality discussions. We will not have sections on the forum for things that won't be discussed about very much, or not at all, there fore a show that is more popular with the community will get its own section. I first heard of Boondocks when the threads started popping up on the board a couple days ago.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    This forum is for quality discussions. We will not have sections on the forum for things that won't be discussed about very much, or not at all, there fore a show that is more popular with the community will get its own section. I first heard of Boondocks when the threads started popping up on the board a couple days ago.
    First let me make it known that I love BOTH series.

But, I dont quite see how Avatar is more of a conversation piece. I think its quite the opposite actually. I've seen some of threads in the Avatar section. Questions about which nation would you join... ect. Where as the Boondocks touches on much more debatable issuses. Topics that require much MORE discussion. Such as racism and politics.

I understand the popularity factor. But theres a reason Boondocks is not as popular, and I think its because its so controversial. However, because of that fact I think it makes for a better quality of conversation than Avatar is capable of.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Thanks

Then Debate issues belong in the Debate and Discuss section.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    First let me make it known that I love BOTH series.

But, I dont quite see how Avatar is more of a conversation piece. I think its quite the opposite actually. I've seen some of threads in the Avatar section. Questions about which nation would you join... ect. Where as the Boondocks touches on much more debatable issuses. Topics that require much MORE discussion. Such as racism and politics.

I understand the popularity factor. But theres a reason Boondocks is not as popular, and I think its because its so controversial. However, because of that fact I think it makes for a better quality of conversation than Avatar is capable of.
    Thank you! I totally agree with you. The Boondocks touches real topics and can have people talkin' for hours. Avatar, yeah, it's got a story, but you can't really bring up too many quality conversations about a kids show, can you?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast