+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: true gamers

Otaku mechataku may be famous one day mechataku may be famous one day mechataku's Avatar
    Thanks

true gamers

ok, i got into an arguement with a guy earlier today that demands deeper discussion, even though the guy is a bit of an idiot.....anyways, here it goes:

what defines a true gamer? how involved in video games do you have to be to be a true gamer? i've never been to a lan party, i've been to 2, maybe 3 halo parties my entire life, i never play games online, and i play mostly console games. my friend says im no gamer. he knows his IP by heart, goes to lan parties on a frequent basis, and has played almost every PC game online endlessly. he doesn't even count console games as true games(like i said, he's a bit of an idiot). i consider myself a gamer. a serious gamer even, even though i don't like playing online, and even when i do play online games i solo whenever possible.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mechataku For This Useful Post:

HolderOfTheDarkChalice (Jan 25, 2008), shatterednight (Jan 24, 2008)

Newbie shatterednight is off to a good start shatterednight's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: true gamers

I personaly want to thank you for posting this. lol cause now i get to let out all my frustration with all those "elitist" SOBs that think just cause they go to a "lan party" and play all these MMO that think are gamers.
    well i personaly play 2 MMOs, Final Fantasy XI and World of Warcraft. BUT befor that i played normal console games. and i AM a gamer girl. i can tell u the history of every Zelda character. how many times princess peach has been kidnaped and tell u that ive played over half my life on my console. playing in a "lan party" or MMOs DOES NOT MAKE YOU A GAMER! lol, heck i met my husband on a game, and he was also a GM for a online game.
    a real gamer is some1 that knows about the game he/she plays, knows tricks and tips about the game, that gets into the story, and the characters. a casual player is some1 just picks up the controller and plays it to get rid of boredom and then puts it down and doesnt even think about the story.
    lol well thats my rant ^^;; and thats my oppinion of what a gamer is. ^^ and im sure ur a gamer too~ (btw when i play a mmo i also solo alot too XD lol)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shatterednight For This Useful Post:

mechataku (Jan 24, 2008)

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you for this thread!!!

I believe there is a strong difference between being a gamer and being a straight up nerd! A gamer appreciates the video game; embracing various forms of gaming format. Experimenting, if you will. A gamer can give you a rundown on the history of the console and the rise and downfall of arcades nationwide (except for California). Gamers play consoles, gamers play PC games and a certain amount of gamers will get down on the MMO games as well. And there are a plethora of online games on consoles, so you can't really say that no gamer plays online; hence the Halo parties. I've been to quite a few of those. (Not so many MMOs online for consoles really)

A nerd will be able to tell you his IP without looking at it... Probably in Klingon too. A nerd will hold a LAN party to play WoW for two days straight. A nerd cares more about the online experience than the game itself (horray for lack of social lives).

There are people who are both though. It's really a matter of personal opinion in the long run. But I know a lot of people who would probably agree with me.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomik_sprout For This Useful Post:

mechataku (Jan 24, 2008), shatterednight (Jan 24, 2008)

Newbie shatterednight is off to a good start shatterednight's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree! lol woo~ from my husband: its the same as any pen and paper RPGs, u have to know where to draw the line between reality and going too far. (IE: the nerds that sit there in the same clothes for like a week and smell of the basement cause they just played D&D with 5 other sweaty people for the past 48hrs straight) lol

Otaku kurapika is off to a good start kurapika's Avatar
    Thanks

mmmh
    I reckon someone who pwns MMO's
    Kills Rpgs
    has to have beaten all the ff's
    and pokemons
    Someone whos a true strategy gamer

Otaku Mana may be famous one day Mana may be famous one day Mana's Avatar
    Thanks

Your friend is just another one of many elitist pc gamers, simple as that.

Solo'ing online is also fun, I enjoy a challenge sometimes (since I mostly roll support classes lulz).
    "so i herd u liek mudkips"

Otaku Kairu is off to a good start Kairu's Avatar
    Thanks

This thread is practically a Godsend. Everytime I am in my PC Repair class everyone is talking about how awesome WOW is and you are not a real gamer if you do not play it. I do not disagree that WOW is a great game. But you cannot tell me that before it came out there was no such thing as true gamers O_o

Personally I am a console gamer. For the sole reason that I do not have enough cash to keep upgrading my machine once a new game comes out. I prefer console games since it is an investment that will last me 5 years or so. I am not a big MMO player due to my internet connection. (Which I cannot help) I have been to...3 LAN parties I think. They were pretty awesome, I just do not think a LAN defines me as a true gamer.

Otaku Aleister Sithis is off to a good start Aleister Sithis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Thank you for this thread!!!

I believe there is a strong difference between being a gamer and being a straight up nerd! A gamer appreciates the video game; embracing various forms of gaming format. Experimenting, if you will. A gamer can give you a rundown on the history of the console and the rise and downfall of arcades nationwide (except for California). Gamers play consoles, gamers play PC games and a certain amount of gamers will get down on the MMO games as well. And there are a plethora of online games on consoles, so you can't really say that no gamer plays online; hence the Halo parties. I've been to quite a few of those. (Not so many MMOs online for consoles really).
    TOTALLY agree all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post

A nerd will be able to tell you his IP without looking at it... Probably in Klingon too. A nerd will hold a LAN party to play WoW for two days straight. A nerd cares more about the online experience than the game itself (horray for lack of social lives).
    Come now, you're forgetting the crazy DnD parties, where everyone gets together for an amazing game of DnD, and 3 day tournament of Warhmmar (Fantasy AND 40K). But nothing wrong with being a nerd. If I came close to ANY sterotypical label of Society, it would be nerd. Why have a life with society, when you can have a life in your world?

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted — nevermore!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast