+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A True 'World' Championship?

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

A True 'World' Championship?

Just read an intersting article on espn.com today where the author calls for a series between the winner of the MLB 'World Series' and the Nippon Professional Baseball League 'Japan Series' to more or less crown a true 'world champion' of baseball.

Here's the link:
    ESPN.com - MLB - Rojas: Why not a champion of champions?

What do you folks think? Is it about time for the World Series and Japan Series champs to meet (this year would be the St. Louis Cardinals vs. the Nippon Ham Fighters) to determine who is truly the 'world champion?'
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: A True 'World' Championship?

Well basically what youre asking right now would be sorta like the same format as the Little League world series. I think it is hard to do because are we going t play on US soil, or in Japan?? The second thing is, the Players Union is not about to let that happen I think. And finally, I rather not see the US team get humiliated, because Americans are just not very fundamental in terms of any sport.

I mean, Bruce Bochy just took a team over to Japan, and nearly loss if it wasn't a 2 run hr in the 9th.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

If there was enough money involved, the Players Union would agree to players getting 5th inning enemas. :|
    Clan? What Clan?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

So they alternate where it is heald each year. Sure it could be done. The question is whether there would be enough money in it to motivate them to do it?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

They already have a world championship for countries do they not?
    And Japan already won that one...

So this would be more like what the Champions League is for soccer?

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    They already have a world championship for countries do they not?
    And Japan already won that one...

So this would be more like what the Champions League is for soccer?
    The problem with most "world" championships are that you rarely get the BEST teams. Most of the time you get the BEST players that want to play (see: US basketball team).

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Thanks

Kind of like Champions League, yes. We get the MLB champ and the Japan League champ to play a five or seven-game series.

Of course, the MLB should then shorten up its season to accomodate the extra series. They could go back the original 154 game schedule or even better, shorten to the 144 games like the played in '95 because of the strike.

Champions League, like World Series, is a misnomer. The Champions League games don't include the best teams South America so it only gives you the best team in Europe. But Europe's 400 million rabid soccer fans could care less that South America is excluded.
    Clan? What Clan?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan View Post
    Kind of like Champions League, yes. We get the MLB champ and the Japan League champ to play a five or seven-game series.

Of course, the MLB should then shorten up its season to accomodate the extra series. They could go back the original 154 game schedule or even better, shorten to the 144 games like the played in '95 because of the strike.

Champions League, like World Series, is a misnomer. The Champions League games don't include the best teams South America so it only gives you the best team in Europe. But Europe's 400 million rabid soccer fans could care less that South America is excluded.
    All the best players from the rest of the world play in European teams anyway.

So what we're talking about here is a worldwide version of the champions League but for Baseball?

+ Reply to Thread