+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TVants/Japanese TV channel recommendations

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

TVants/Japanese TV channel recommendations

Hi, I have a question for those of you familiar with TVants. And for those of you who watch Japanese TV.

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, TVants is a P2P streaming software where you can view Live TV from anywhere in the world. I downloaded it just now so I can watch the Korean MKMF Music Awards live (at 4 AM).

Anyways, my questions are:
    - What are the names of the Japanese music channels, so I can input it nto the search bar for TVants? It'd be nice to watch non-stop Japanese Music Videos. And I love Japanese commercials XD!
    - What are some other interesting Japanese channels? Or what are some interesting Japanese shows or variety shows that you woud recommend, and what channels are those on?

(to mods: I wasn't sure of whether to put this is the Sensory Pleasures thread or the Japanese Culture one. If you think it should be the other, I apologize for the trouble it takes to move it. Thank you =)!)

I'd ask for a channel with tons of anime, but my Japanese isn't good enough to enjoy a sub-less anime show.

I'm excited, it feel like I have satelite TV for free lol XD
    関西は最高やねん

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: TVants/Japanese TV channel recommendations

There are only 4-12 "networks" in Japan... the rest of the channels are pay-to-view sattelite channels: which I doubt you're going to be able to stream for free (at least legally). There are, however, music shows on each of the channels: "Music Station" (TV Tokyo) and "Hey Hey Hey Music Champ" (I don't remember the channel) are the most popular. I don't watch either any more but did when I was into music. Pop Jam may also still be on NHK... and NHK also has "Kohaku Uta-gassen" every New Year's Eve... which is four hours solid of performances by everyone who's been remotely popular in the last year.

I'm afraid I don't have times for any of this... but if you go to the channel's websites, you can search for air times through the programs' pages.

NHK has an excellent children's block daily - Nihongo de Asobo, Inai Inai Baa, Okaasan to Isshou, Karada de Asobo, Quintet, etc... Think along the lines of Japanese Sesame Street. I owe most of my early Japanese exposure to NHK's kyouiku terebi

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: TVants/Japanese TV channel recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    There are only 4-12 "networks" in Japan... the rest of the channels are pay-to-view sattelite channels: which I doubt you're going to be able to stream for free (at least legally). There are, however, music shows on each of the channels: "Music Station" (TV Tokyo) and "Hey Hey Hey Music Champ" (I don't remember the channel) are the most popular. I don't watch either any more but did when I was into music. Pop Jam may also still be on NHK... and NHK also has "Kohaku Uta-gassen" every New Year's Eve... which is four hours solid of performances by everyone who's been remotely popular in the last year.

I'm afraid I don't have times for any of this... but if you go to the channel's websites, you can search for air times through the programs' pages.

NHK has an excellent children's block daily - Nihongo de Asobo, Inai Inai Baa, Okaasan to Isshou, Karada de Asobo, Quintet, etc... Think along the lines of Japanese Sesame Street. I owe most of my early Japanese exposure to NHK's kyouiku terebi
    CHILDREN'S SHOWS!! What an excellent idea! It beats renting children's Japanese books fromthe library. I'm so going to learn alot from these shows.

I know Hey3, but thank you for telling me which channel it's on. I only know shows from my JE days: Utawara, Music Fighter and Shonen Club. And zoomin and mezamashi for entertainent news.

Do you know of any good variety shows? (I only know of Smap x Smap from waaaaaaaaaaay back when *shoots self*). Japanese variety shows are famous around the world, aren't they XD?
    関西は最高やねん

+ Reply to Thread