+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Violent American Cartoons

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Violent American Cartoons

I just recently was watching Tom & Jerry on Cartoon Network and it hit me that there was lots of violent scenes such as Tom getting beat up by the big dog. In one scene Tom was carrying a shotgun shooting at Jerry. I mean when i was a little kid i wouldn't question the violent content because i thought it was funny to see Tom getting beat up in every episode. I find it really weird that most people would put anime into question regarding its violence content when American cartoons have violence content as well. What's your input on this?

ps; I don't know if this belongs here so, mea culpa.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Re: Violent American Cartoons

Tom and Jerry is banned in England because of the amount of Violence within the cartoons. Yet they still show the Simpson's. I mean even Noddy and little Red and Yellow Car was banned because of stereotypes.

I think with American Cartoons, its more aimed for a younger age mostly. With Anime, its a general age so anyone can watch it. But with Cartoons, its aimed straight at children and it doesn't help with the amount of violence that is involved. However, although there is violence in Anime's it isn't just slap stick violence, its about the battle between right and wrong so it has an extra point to story line.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

well, you have to consider the era Tom and Jerry was made, it was during and after the second world war. Kids were different back then, heck, i saw a Popeye cartoon were he had a friend who kept trying to kill himself cuz he had no friends/family! now that was sad!

personally, i don't think it's too much for kids to handle if they have good parents. i don't have to explain that, i think you all know what i mean... but i digress...

it really depends on when you grow up that determines what is appropriate or not... i think it's the same as people not having safety labels on toys or coffee...

p.s.: thanks Wikipedia for teling me when Tom and Jerry was made!

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea, they were violent. But that didn't make a bunch of killers. I mean, it was just for kids to laugh at. If you think about it as an adult, it would make you ask the question. If the coyote had enough money to buy all that stuff to go after the road runner, wouldn't you think that he could buy a meal instead? It was just a different generation. We liked the shows that we watched and we turned out just fine in the end.

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

I find them really funny and actually, to tell you the truth, even though I am eighteen, when i feel down and depressed..........the cartoons cheer me up and my favorite is Tom and Jerry. I think they portray the violence in a funny way so that the kids get the laugh out of it......but not take it seriously......
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well i think that violence in cartoons can be bad and good like the bad part is they could think its cool and do it the good part if it can be funny and injoyable and make people laugh i think that it should be allowed to kids .

Otaku LEtters Champion, PopWord Champion, Alphabet Soup Champion, Baby Destruction Champion bellocanlver is off to a good start
    Thanks

lol its been a while since i havnt seen tom and jerry i <3 those guys. Anyways yeah they were violent and mayb thats the reason y i turn out so violent. W.out violence cartoons will b very boring!
    Temari is so Cool

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    I just recently was watching Tom & Jerry on Cartoon Network and it hit me that there was lots of violent scenes such as Tom getting beat up by the big dog. In one scene Tom was carrying a shotgun shooting at Jerry. I mean when i was a little kid i wouldn't question the violent content because i thought it was funny to see Tom getting beat up in every episode. I find it really weird that most people would put anime into question regarding its violence content when American cartoons have violence content as well. What's your input on this?

ps; I don't know if this belongs here so, mea culpa.
    It's been that way for a while now. But, people DO rag on American cartoons too. Just not as much as anime. I personally think it's because they'd rather put the blame on another country, rather than own up to the fact that the've been letting kids watch violence for ages now.

Just like the people who try to say video games are ruining society. "They all just need someone to point their finger at and say--to quote Al Pachino in Scarface--That's da bad guy!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast