+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Violent American Cartoons

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Violent American Cartoons

I love Tom and Jerry. I miss Looney Toons too. Anime isn't so much about its violence, its some animes' suggestive themes. Comic violence is totally cool with America so long as you don't get too philosphical with it. It's gotta be a lot more subtle so lil' kids don't get it. Plus blood is a big no no.

Otaku Kairu is off to a good start Kairu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    I just recently was watching Tom & Jerry on Cartoon Network and it hit me that there was lots of violent scenes such as Tom getting beat up by the big dog. In one scene Tom was carrying a shotgun shooting at Jerry. I mean when i was a little kid i wouldn't question the violent content because i thought it was funny to see Tom getting beat up in every episode. I find it really weird that most people would put anime into question regarding its violence content when American cartoons have violence content as well. What's your input on this?

ps; I don't know if this belongs here so, mea culpa.
    Recently I watched a marathon of Tom and Jerry and noticed the same thing. In fact the one thing that got me noticing was when Tom's owner took a burning red hot metal grate and smashed his face in it O_o. Then I realized how violent they were. Seeing as how I did not notice this a child and caught on to it now....I do not think it will corrupt kids for life.
    I am not against American cartoons, I am against the fact that people say Anime is corrupting kids. (Pulling from a thread made a week or so ago)

Otaku TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't forget older cartoons were suggestive too. Just look at Betty Boop. Also they always smoked cigerettes and cigars. It was very different from the kids shows today on Disney that have no violence. One thing that gets me is that Bugs Bunney was a cross-dresser, yet every one blames Spongbob for doing gay stuff.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima9 View Post
    One thing that gets me is that Bugs Bunney was a cross-dresser, yet every one blames Spongbob for doing gay stuff.
    Not everyone who cross-dresses is gay.

The reason everyone points to sponge bob and not things from the past is because Bugs bunny and other characters like betty boop, are not readily in the spot light. Spongebob is (Which ironicly was originally considered to be an adult show like Bevis and Butthead). And because of that, more people pay attention to it.

Also, when you think about it, Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, and the other classic cartoons from Disney and Warner Bros. are considered to be cultural Icons in North America, and generally get ignored when things like this are brought to the spot light.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Who cares?

The only message here is that violence in a clearly fantasy environment has very little affect on the process of turning normal kids into mass murderers. Rather than turning around and pointing the finger at violence in traditional cartoons and saying it's been overlooked, we should be pointing at it and saying: we watched this and we turned out okay.

That said, there's a big difference between rubber-hammer acme anvil violence in anthropomorphic cartoon animals and the portrayal of identifiable human characters committing violent acts that may be glorified or imitated. There has been evidence that media CAN inspire violence in the right storm of circumstances. And from all the wignuts around here who "live by bushido" and are reincarnated samurai warriors, I think it's obvious that media can have a powerful effect on some who have trouble seperating reality from fantasy.

It's harder (and less romantic) to imitate a cartoon rabbit who flattens rebounding rubber "enemies" who are impossible to actually kill than it is a somewhat realistic, tragic, and generally positively-portrayed human character you genuinely wish you could be more like. The number of awkward Japanophiles taking up martial arts and harboring the dream to move to Japan and marry a hot, submissive Japanese girl would seem to confirm that there's definately a strong influence of anime on reality.

Some people take it too far. Most don't.

There's also the trouble inherent in the fact that ALREADY violent people tend to enjoy violent media. Then, when they snap and do something terrible, we can look at their game collections and say "they played Grand Theft Auto... that must be it!"

I would argue that the trouble isn't with the violence itself... but with people raising their children without a clear understanding of the line between reality and fantasy... not to mention the politicians and parents looking for things to blame for all the failings of society and humanity in general.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsurara For This Useful Post:

abby724 (Dec 24, 2007), Familyguyfan2 (Dec 24, 2007)

Horror movies rule Graveyard Champion Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't care if the cartoons are violent. I used to watch Looney tunes all the time when I was little. Bugs Bunny is my fav character on there. And he's not gay lol. Japanese cartoons are violent too. Alot of animes have violent and sexual things. But I like anime too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2