+ Reply to Thread

Thread: W.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

W.

I recently saw the movie W. It was directed by the Cinematic Siren of controversial discourse himself, Oliver Stone. Now Oliver Stone has been known to embellish things but hey if I wanted complete accuracy I wold watch a documentary or read a book. Most Stone movies are hit or miss, they either rub you good or raw.

This film pulls a lot of punches given Stone's prior record for not avoiding confrontation. The film centers around the things we all know and generally accept about the former president. The things that are hot spots such as his drug use and National Guard record were briefly mentioned but never actually developed.

Clearly Stone thinks that the first Bush was good, Colin Powell was a good man caught up in a corrupt system, and Bush was not justified by going into Iraq. While a majority of americans probably agree with these statements it makes for a predictable movie. As a movie it was good, but as far as Stone goes it is little more than a bio pic. I would say get a documentary or read the dynasty book about the whole family, which the film also gets into.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: W.

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    This film pulls a lot of punches given Stone's prior record for not avoiding confrontation.
    You'll have to elaborate on that one
    Oliver Stone isn't known for his lack of confrontation at all. Examples: Natural Born Killers, JFK, Platoon and Any Given Sunday. He also wrote the script for Scarface and Midnight Express.

Thanks

"Pulling Punches" is a phrase used to describe holding back. It goes back to the not so honest days of boxing. If asked to throw a match one may pull punches back before actually hitting someone to make it seem like they are fighting. I may change that since the phrase is not so popular.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I know what pulling punches means, I was talking about him being confrontational.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    I know what pulling punches means, I was talking about him being confrontational.
    Well usually Oliver Stone is confrontational and in this instance where other would go he doesn't go. It is weird, you would think given his beliefs and prior work that he would get into the dark areas of the administration more but he doesn't. It was very strange for me that he leaves out vietnam and drug use when all things prior would lead you to believe he would go there. It was a little strange but you know oliver stone is a little older now and that may make sense.

+ Reply to Thread