+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Year of the DS SPRGs!

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

Year of the DS SRPGs!

This year is looking pretty sweet for DS, but one aspect of it that I couldn't be more thrilled about is the coming onslaught of SRPGs hitting shelves this year. Here are the current big hitters, hopefully I haven't missed any.

Drone Tactics
    Release Date: May 13th
    Overview(From IGN)
    Transported to an alien world, you find yourself in the middle of a great conflict. An army of evil Drones is on the march, threatening to obliterate the land of Cimexus. Its inhabitants now turn to you to lead them in battle against the Black Swarm. Each level offers new challenges, and taking full advantage of each Drone’s unique specialties will be the difference between success and defeat!
    Rondo of Swords
    Release Date: April 15th
    Overview(Also from IGN)
    Rondo of Swords combines an epic narrative, complete with a branching story and multiple endings, with an innovative combat mechanic that takes advantage of the DS touch screen and forces you to add even more strategy and planning to your attacks. Route Maneuvers allow you to hit all enemies in your path and enhance your attack or defense, while managing your Momentum Counter to gain stat bonuses and control who your enemies target becomes critical to success! Challenging gameplay, a lengthy campaign, deep party management, and customizable skills all come together to make Rondo of Swords a compelling fantasy strategy RPG package. Cleanse the sacred blade, protect the princess, and vanquish the oppressing armies of your enemy on your quest to deliver the Kingdom of Bretwalde from tyranny!
    Disgaea DS
    Release Date: Summer 2008
    Overview: This is a port of the PS2 game Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, here's the plot for that game...(From IGN again)
    Telling the tale of the self-absorbed Prince Laharl, Disgaea moves away from the typical "heroes of light" setting, and replaces it with a demon-infested netherworld. Awoken after a two-year slumber, Laharl is stunned to learn of his father King Krichevskoy's death and the massive civil war for the throne that has followed. The rightful heir and all-around egocentric bastard that he is, Laharl isn't about to lose his birthright without a fight, and it's from there the story really takes off. Borrowing the same isometric approach that the Ogre Battle and Final Fantasy Tactics games have enjoyed over the years, Disgaea isn't aimed at the novice RPG crowd.
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
    Release Date: June 24th
    Overview: (Yup...from IGN)
    School is out for the summer, but mischievous Luso Clemens must first face detention to make up for his misbehavior. Alone in the library, he stumbles upon an ancient book with magical powers that summons him to the mystical land of Ivalice. Warped into the middle of a battlefield, Luso joins Cid and his clan to set off on an adventurous journey looking for a way home.
    To my knowledge, these are the only ones currently announced to be hitting NA at the moment, but all of them sound like high quality SPRGS. Also worth noting is Luminous Arc 2 which is releasing in Japan this year. Atlus brought over the first one, so here's hoping that they'll release the second. No word on that yet though, I think.

Anyways, with there being a good amount of tactical RPG fans round these parts(I think...), I figured I'd get everyone's thoughts on any one or all of these upcoming SPRGs coming to the DS this year.

Personally, I know I'm picking up Rondo of Swords when it releases soon. I like the idea of the route maneuvres that the combat is based on. From the hands-on its been getting, it soudns like this somewhat basic change in combat has really made something fresh and interesting to try out.

Is anyone else massively hyped for these lovely DS games?
    Last edited by Evol; Apr 08, 2008 at 05:55 AM.

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Year of the DS SPRGs!

I like the rundown, kudos.

I'll skip Drone Tactics. Entomology doesn't get me off.

Rondo might be worth checking out. The whole pass through system seems kind of fresh but I don't think I'll be able to get past the Fire Emblem aethetics.

As huge a fan of Nippon Ichi titles as I am, I'm a little over remakes of the first Disgaea. I'll be keeping an eye out for what new features they'll be adding to liven up the aging system. The thought of another 100+ hours grinding in the item world makes me want to vomit. I'm being a total hypocrite btw...I'll be pre-ordering in a sec.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 will be better than sex. Luminous Arc's bland characters, static maps and uninspiring plot not so much.

Newbie coeli is off to a good start coeli's Avatar
    Thanks

Playing Rondo of Swords now. Is it just me or is the game pretty hard?

coeliandjeff.blogspot.com

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

Playing Rondo of Swords now. Is it just me or is the game pretty hard?
    I've heard that from quite a few people, but for me, I'm simply finding it hard to find. I'm not sure if it's delayed in Canada or what's the deal. EB Games said they weren't getting it for some reason, Walmart rarely gets those niche games(..and I checked!), and Amazon.ca doesn't think it exists. And I want the game even more since learning that Izuna is in it, but I really don't want to go through the hassle of buying it from the States.

In the meantime, methinks I'll just be counting down days until Disgaea DS comes out. I've never played any of those games yet, so I don't mind that its a port. It looks very awesome...

However, I just cannot find the will to get hyped for FFTA2.

+ Reply to Thread