+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Naruto the next DBZ?

Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Naruto the next DBZ?

everyone says that Naruto is like DBZ, i get it. i see the influence. but it is so NOT DBZ.
    the storylines, character atitudes, designs, the overall feel, and writing is very different.
    honestly, everyone can complain as much as they want about DBZs' length, the story, the 'whos strongest' race. but you know what? thats DBZ. Naruto was influenced by it, but it will never be as good in my eyes, because DBZ is the most EPIC,AWESOME, and ORIGINAL stories out there. and if you disagree, think about all animes afterword that had energy attacks, transformations, etc. it almost always roots to Tezuka, Robotech(and earlier stuff), and DBZ.
    so no. Naruto is not the next DBZ.

Newbie MissOtaku is off to a good start MissOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks

The next Dragon Ball Z?
    Naruto is way batter, and is more entertaining =P

Otaku Redsquire is off to a good start
    Bonnie Scotland, under a bridge. Och aye. ~<3
    Thanks

.... I uh, I actually don't see much similarity between Naruto and DBZ at all, to be quite honest. I dont pull any similarities between them in the least, at least on first glance.

And I don't recall many instances of weapons being used on DBZ, as compared to Naruto, either.

My name ish Steph! -Poses as cape flaps in wind- DX
    -=::/ Tanshin Art Studio \::=-

Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree. but everyone knows that if the protaganist is:
    male
    Stupid(but has a good moral sense, and has spirit)
    incredibly strong
    and if the character shoot energy attacks from their hands, have any other supernatural powers such as flight (walking on water, etc) , is in the fighting genre, and has some sort of energy (Chakra, Chi, mana). it will be compared to DBZ.

Otaku Redsquire is off to a good start
    Bonnie Scotland, under a bridge. Och aye. ~<3
    Thanks

Generally the "Inexperienced, but with a good sense of morals" tends to be the bread-and-butter of the japanese protagonist. Especially in the RPG-type games, that much is certain. I personally don't like dimwit protagonists, the only reason I liked Son Goku from the original Dragonball was because he was funny. And he didn't WIN *every* battle. I don't know, just being dense a lot of the time and being incredibly optimistic all the time MIGHT have some deep-seated sense of like, nirvana or something, but I just dont think it adds to the character all that much. It's been overdone.

Perhaps Toriyama realised this when he made Goku the *weakest* of his race when Radditz first showed up.

Was Naruto even really *dumb*, to be honest? I just thought he like, couldn't DO a lot of things to begin with. As in, he sucked at being a ninja. Generally. All round.
    And yeah, I've seen a few catchphrases and quotes being thrown around saying any manga that uses chi or ki or any other "energy form" used in healing/religion/whatever, takes its roots from Akira Toriyama - no, sorry. I don't agree with that.

Chi/ki LONG had been a topic before Akira Toriyama ever came along. To say that the manga has a monopoly on chi and everything else stems from it is, frankly, retarded.

Generally though, over the GRAND scheme of comics in general, I don't think those characteristics fit with most protagonists. I think... maaybbeee... a feeling, or want, to DO the right thing, might be a better idea of an overall protagonist. And an anti-hero being perhaps, someone that might do the right thing, for themselves. Say, Riddick. (Okay, not technically a manga character, but what the hell.)

Main difference I see between the two is one used a HELLUVA lot of weapons. One was much more physical, hand-to-fist conflict. And sexually, I think Naruto was a bit more "balanced" instead of DBZ too. If a girl ever turned up in DBZ, they just kindof "sat" at a certain level of power, and that was that. The only real purpose of most of the females on Dragonball, especially later into the series, was simply for the characters to produce offspring. (Lets be honest, plot-wise, they didn't do much else.)

Naruto, I think the girls were more developed. And they improved more too.

Nah, there's quite a few differences in the two series, in my opinion.

My name ish Steph! -Poses as cape flaps in wind- DX
    -=::/ Tanshin Art Studio \::=-

Thanks

i am agreeing with you. =]
    yes, frankly i am not stating that Toriyama made these similarities i am just saying the untrained otaku tends to lead it back to DB/DBZ. and this is exactly my point. this is why naruto isnt DBZ, because they seem at first to have small similarities,but if you look in the big picture those are common similarities, and they are different.
    and also in manga/anime general theyre are many characters that fit the 'goku' attitude:
    Naruto, Luffy from One Piece, Yoh from Shaman King, Ueki from Law of Ueki, Gene from Outlaw Star, and my favorite, Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena.
    they are not carbon copies, but they may be compared to DBZ from time to time because of the attitude they have.
    the main differences to me are:
    DBZ story was very long too, but honestly i was entertained the entire time. and for all of those who complain, i dont really care. i had fun watching it.
    Naruto had more complexity in the storyline, however,
    and the characters general attitudes were different.
    and as previously stated the gender balance and the weapons factor.

Newbie Kanna Ashba is off to a good start Kanna Ashba's Avatar
    Thanks

No Naruto wont b the next DBZ. Naruto is much cooler then DBZ, i could never get into DBZ, but i could get into Naruto. i dont know why, but Naruto is so cool.

Banned radeclew is off to a good start radeclew's Avatar
    Thanks

No ... Naruto will never be like DBZ,... why well is the difference of time, I mean DBZ was way better because it was the first and different than any anime out there at the time... now we see anime similar to naruto, and copying DBZ....but there's one thing that DBZ has that naruto doesn't.... and it is that anime of this time has no meaning, they are way too corky repetitive, gay, the female character sucks, and the lead character always has a gay encounter with the bad guy...... what am trying to say is,.... anime of this time will never be like the old ones that we care about it and remember.......... anime of this time is doom ...............

9. The Following User Says Thank You to radeclew For This Useful Post:

EmoNightmareRose (Mar 21, 2009)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast