+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Goku--Deadbeat Dad?

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Goku--Deadbeat Dad?

A friend and I were casually chatting about Dragon Ball Z and GT one day, and he brought up the point that Goku could actually qualify as a deadbeat dad. Of course this had us in hysterics for quite some time, but the more I thought about, the truer it seemed. Let's look at the facts:

1. Other than repeatedly saving the world, Goku has no real job (at least not one that he gets paid for); his wife often must borrow money from her father to pay the bills and buy groceries.
    2. He's more than willing to run off with complete strangers to "train", often being away from his wife and children for years at a time.
    3. He constantly gets into fights, and has more than once gotten himself killed (this is possibly a scam to avoid child support payments).
    4. He ran out on a very important interview to get his son into a good school because one of his buddies called.

The list could go on, but I haven't watched DBZ in while, so this is all I can come up with for now. So what do you think? Should Chi Chi be serving Goku with divorce papers, or allow him to continue his deadbeat ways just because he's saved her life (and everyone else on the planet's) a few times?
    sig by Pyro Psycho

THUMBSUCKING ADDICTION Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K is making a name for themselves Mr. K's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Goku--Deadbeat Dad?

XD Chi Chi a Princess. They have enough money, and they own that land they live on~

XD lol. He's a bad papa, and they made that clear in the Buu saga, when buu Sallowed Gohan. He was talking about how Gohan feels about his father.

But thats Goku. >.<; He taught Gohan how to fight.

The only good father out of all of them is Krillin, and maybe Vegeta. XD

Chi chi is Rich by the way.
    ≥°≤ [?] █▓▒░░▒▓█ [?] ≥°≤
    You know how you drown a blonde, Rosalie? Glue a mirror to the bottom of a pool.
    Jacob Black, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 14, p.271
    Lamie Hynamen "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

Chi chi is Rich by the way.
    Okay then, money aside, doesn't it seem like at some point Chi-Chi should have put her foot down and said, "Look Goku, you can't just run off every time the world needs saving and leave me here with one kid to look after and another on the way. I need your support; little Gohan is already starting to have daddy issues."

Oh, I thought of another one:

5. Because Goku never takes his wife out for a nice evening, or even to meet people, her only friend is a girl he used to hang out with in his younger, wilder days.
    Last edited by gren; Oct 23, 2006 at 05:32 PM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Goku isn't even human, you can't judge aliens by our standards you know...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Goku isn't even human, you can't judge aliens by our standards you know...
    Very true, and I guess when a guy comes from a planet overrun with testosterone, you can't really blame him for not having even the most basic parenting skills, or any idea how to treat a lady. Still, seeing the type of ill-tempered and pushy woman Chi Chi is, I really think she shouldn't have put up with that kind of crap.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Newbie skyezero may be famous one day skyezero may be famous one day skyezero's Avatar
    Thanks

and uhmmm... why are we so worried about a toon's personal life? are we ever curious about how often goku has constipation? no. are we curious to find own how often speed racer ever gets a speeding ticket? no. then why are we so worried and worked up about goku being a bad dad? besides, he's only gohan, Chi-chi's and Goten's problem. Plus he is a drawing on a piece of paper and a bunch of pixels on our t.v. screen. i think we figured out that anime can be very unreal since we were like 7 years old. Give that some thought, maybe it will help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyezero View Post
    and uhmmm... why are we so worried about a toons personal life? are we ever curious about how often goku has constipation? no. are we curious to find own how often speed racer ever gets a speeding ticket? no. then why are we so curious if goku is a bad dad? besides, he's only gohan, Chi-chi's and Goten's problem.
    A similar thought was voiced by a co-worker when my friend and I were discussing the social ramifications of superheroes wearing their underwear outside of their pants (or tights, in most cases). The co-worker said, quite snobbishly, "They're not real, you know."

Yes, I do know that. However, I and many other people find it amusing to discuss anime in the context of real life, mainly because it doesn't match up too well. To think of Goku as he would be regarded in the real world is just funny.

Hey, it got you to respond, and what harm does it do?
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Newbie medsed may be famous one day medsed may be famous one day
    Thanks

Seriously, by todays standards he is a bad dad, he does not really support his son in so many ways. he is a hero in his world, but sometimes hero's lead the loneliest lives and have the least number of friends, family, and even loves. The hero must be single-minded in fighting eveils, even if his son, I guess, goes without a good papa.
    It is interesting that you thought this, I realize that we think of hero's real or fictional as someone to look up to, but real or fictional we must remember perfection in a person or character would be boring and could not exist.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast