+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Goku--Deadbeat Dad?

Banned Big Bird Hunting Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Buzzer Champion, Book Worm Champion, Dragonfly Champion, Add It Up Champion, Trivial Blitz 2 Champion KimiFemi is off to a good start KimiFemi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Goku--Deadbeat Dad?

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    A friend and I were casually chatting about Dragon Ball Z and GT one day, and he brought up the point that Goku could actually qualify as a deadbeat dad. Of course this had us in hysterics for quite some time, but the more I thought about, the truer it seemed. Let's look at the facts:

1. Other than repeatedly saving the world, Goku has no real job (at least not one that he gets paid for); his wife often must borrow money from her father to pay the bills and buy groceries.
    2. He's more than willing to run off with complete strangers to "train", often being away from his wife and children for years at a time.
    3. He constantly gets into fights, and has more than once gotten himself killed (this is possibly a scam to avoid child support payments).
    4. He ran out on a very important interview to get his son into a good school because one of his buddies called.

The list could go on, but I haven't watched DBZ in while, so this is all I can come up with for now. So what do you think? Should Chi Chi be serving Goku with divorce papers, or allow him to continue his deadbeat ways just because he's saved her life (and everyone else on the planet's) a few times?
    omg! what started this convo???? lol

Lol I kinda feel bad for Goku ... sure it must have been a real riot dying for your family and friends and then getting labeld a dead beat!
    give the guy a break he's doing it for love and as long as he shows up once in a while to show his kids what a man is then he's doing his part lol
    it might feel unfair when you look at those couples with the man at home all the time but hey .... what has he done for this planet? beside with any other guy he might skip planet and leave your ass to fry

Newbie DarknessInZero is off to a good start DarknessInZero's Avatar
    Thanks

Goku IS a bad dad now that I think about it after reading previous posts. I mean he tought his son Gohan how to fight and in more than one occasion actually encouraged him to kill!!!
    ASSASSINATE THE MAINSTREAM!!!

Otaku Gods_Dragon may be famous one day Gods_Dragon may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessInZero View Post
    Goku IS a bad dad now that I think about it after reading previous posts. I mean he tought his son Gohan how to fight and in more than one occasion actually encouraged him to kill!!!
    There are endless "ups & downs" to Goku's parental history, but I think DarknessInZero only focused on the negative. Don't get me wrong what he said is true to a point, but you have to keep in mind the reason and circumstances they were in when he encouraged Gohan to fight and/or kill. 99.9% of the time their lives (as well as the lives of innocents) were in jeopardy.

Thanks for the avatar & sig Rave_Grip you rock!
    There is but one judge...
    ~Stay blessed

Newbie DarknessInZero is off to a good start DarknessInZero's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah but if Goku were a good father he himself would have fought and destroyed the enemies and not leave it up to his son.
    ASSASSINATE THE MAINSTREAM!!!

Otaku Gods_Dragon may be famous one day Gods_Dragon may be famous one day
    Thanks

I get the strange feeling that you may be referring to a specific incident (like the cell games) when Goku intentionally lost to cell because he wanted Gohan to defeat him. Point taken, I don't agree to that strategy at all, but as you know (by watching endless episodes) there was always a reason for that action.

Thanks for the avatar & sig Rave_Grip you rock!
    There is but one judge...
    ~Stay blessed

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gods_Dragon View Post
    I get the strange feeling that you may be referring to a specific incident (like the cell games) when Goku intentionally lost to cell because he wanted Gohan to defeat him. Point taken, I don't agree to that strategy at all, but as you know (by watching endless episodes) there was always a reason for that action.
    Plus it was like one time. Jeez, parents make mistakes guys, does that mean they're bad parents, no. Also, he always came back didn't he, if he were a deadbeat dad, he would have abandoned chi chi and never came back to see his kids.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deodaclan18 View Post
    Plus it was like one time. Jeez, parents make mistakes guys, does that mean they're bad parents, no. Also, he always came back didn't he, if he were a deadbeat dad, he would have abandoned chi chi and never came back to see his kids.
    But it's not like he left for a few days on a business trip; there were several instances where he left Chi-Chi and Gohan for several years at a time, with no word of whether or not he was even still alive. That's no way for a wife and child to live. Plus (as I mentioned before), he knocked Chi-Chi up sometime between the Cell games and Buu saga, and didn't even see his youngest son until he was seven years old. Isn't that pretty much the definition of a deadbeat dad?

Otaku DEMON SPAWN may be famous one day DEMON SPAWN may be famous one day DEMON SPAWN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    A friend and I were casually chatting about Dragon Ball Z and GT one day, and he brought up the point that Goku could actually qualify as a deadbeat dad. Of course this had us in hysterics for quite some time, but the more I thought about, the truer it seemed. Let's look at the facts:

1. Other than repeatedly saving the world, Goku has no real job (at least not one that he gets paid for); his wife often must borrow money from her father to pay the bills and buy groceries.
    2. He's more than willing to run off with complete strangers to "train", often being away from his wife and children for years at a time.
    3. He constantly gets into fights, and has more than once gotten himself killed (this is possibly a scam to avoid child support payments).
    4. He ran out on a very important interview to get his son into a good school because one of his buddies called.

The list could go on, but I haven't watched DBZ in while, so this is all I can come up with for now. So what do you think? Should Chi Chi be serving Goku with divorce papers, or allow him to continue his deadbeat ways just because he's saved her life (and everyone else on the planet's) a few times?
    I dont know how to judge this issue because goku is a sayin and to a sayin being a good father might just mean teaching your son how to fight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast