+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Goku--Deadbeat Dad?

Newbie DarknessInZero is off to a good start DarknessInZero's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Goku--Deadbeat Dad?

Quote Originally Posted by Gods_Dragon View Post
    I get the strange feeling that you may be referring to a specific incident (like the cell games) when Goku intentionally lost to cell because he wanted Gohan to defeat him. Point taken, I don't agree to that strategy at all, but as you know (by watching endless episodes) there was always a reason for that action.
    As a matter of fact I am referring to the Cell games but only because there aren't other times that I recall at the moment. Anyway Goku could have taken Cell himself but left Gohan to do it for him. Goku is a really bad and lazy father.
    And as for Goku being a sayin remeber he bumped his head and lost his memories meaning his heritage is sayin but his way of thinking is human.
    Last edited by DarknessInZero; Feb 14, 2007 at 09:33 PM.
    ASSASSINATE THE MAINSTREAM!!!

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    But it's not like he left for a few days on a business trip; there were several instances where he left Chi-Chi and Gohan for several years at a time, with no word of whether or not he was even still alive. That's no way for a wife and child to live. Plus (as I mentioned before), he knocked Chi-Chi up sometime between the Cell games and Buu saga, and didn't even see his youngest son until he was seven years old. Isn't that pretty much the definition of a deadbeat dad?
    Wasn't he frickin dead. Read this quote from wikipedia:

"After the battle ends, the heroes made their way to Kami's lookout, renamed Dende's lookout because Dende became the Earth's guardian. Cell was gone but so was Goku, and after the Z Warriors attempted to wish him back after wishing all of Cell's victims back (this included Trunks), but failed because of Goku's decision to stay in Other World. Goku explained that he seems to attract evil people, so it would be better for the Earth to live in peace without him. He also said that Gohan surpassed him greatly now, so there would be no worries if another threat came."

He didn't want anymore evil to come to the earth, which is always attracted to him. He was looking out for the well being of the others.

And as for the time he didn't come after namek, he was training to get that instant transmission techinque ( or something along those lines), which comes in handy later on in the series.

Goku did fight cell first, but stopped because:

"Goku knew that if he continued the Earth would be destroyed, or Cell and himself would die fighting each other. Goku suddenly stopped fighting Cell and surrendered. He reasoned that only one person could defeat Cell. When Goku revealed his son Gohan as his pick to fight, the Z Fighters were furious (noticeably Vegeta and Piccolo) and Cell was amused."

And as for letting gohan battle cell, that's completely gohans fault goku died. Gohan was arrogant and was fooling around with cell instead of finishing him off right away, his power got to his head. If gohan had taken the fight seriously to begin with, goku would have never had to fight and therefor wouldn't have died. And maybe goku wanted gohan to fight first because he wanted to make him learn to be able to take care of himself. The kid can't always be saved by his father after all, he has to grow up himself.
    Last edited by deodaclan18; Feb 14, 2007 at 10:28 PM.

Otaku Gods_Dragon may be famous one day Gods_Dragon may be famous one day
    Thanks

Very good point deodaclan18, but even so no one can judge Goku on the cell games incident alone. If you look over the entire series, he is a good father. I do need to make a point though, DarknessInZero does have a point in regards to the memory loss and having a saiyan heritage w/human thinking. This also means that even though Goku is not a dead beat dad he isn't perfect either. Since he does have a "human mindset" this also means that he will make mistakes. No one is perfect (Goku included), we all judge him as a perfect person when he has a human mindset, and that's not fair to him. You have to look at his intentions as well as where his heart was concerning the matter. Sure he has made wrong choices, who hasn't? We also have to remember how Goku & Chi Chi met each other in the first place. She was well aware of who & what Goku is as well as what he does. She knows that if he doesn't go train for 5, 6, 7 years that the next "threat to the planet" will not only kill him (Goku) but it will kill her, her children, and the rest of mankind as well. So she was and is well aware of the situation. We see some of these as flaws, when most of them are actually sacrifices. He sacrificed his "family life" to protect them.

Thanks for the avatar & sig Rave_Grip you rock!
    There is but one judge...
    ~Stay blessed

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

Well put, he sacrificed his whole life pratically to protect the earth. In essence, it was like the whole earth was his family, at least he felt that way I think. He wanted to protect everything and everyone he loved on the planet.

Otaku Gods_Dragon may be famous one day Gods_Dragon may be famous one day
    Thanks

Exactly, you basically explained it to perfection in a nutshell. This is why my eyes bugged out when it say the thread title "Goku deadbeat dad" I almost flipped! It's interesting what people think about Goku, a character that few people actually gather accurate information to understand in the first place. Although everyone likes him because he's the main character. I think if someone really wants to get a full understanding they need to start watching "Dragonball"... Literally, to understand him as an adult in Dragonball Z you need to know what he went through as a child in Dragonball.

Thanks for the avatar & sig Rave_Grip you rock!
    There is but one judge...
    ~Stay blessed

Newbie dbzkid is off to a good start
    Thanks

He's not a deadbeat dad.

He's a
    martial artist
    father
    husband
    hunter
    fisherman
    dinosaur hunter
    firewood getter and chopper
    camper
    galactic superheroic alien angel
    galactic handyman
    telekinetic teleporter
    energy manipulator and
    animal lover.
    ( okay , I like to list his attributes even some of them are irrelevant, hehe)

He did once camp with Gohan and he also trained him to fight.

He's self-employed (as he says to Lord Slug) and can sustain himself because he is a hunter that can hunt his own big fishes and dinosaurs just like Gohan and Goten after training with him, Piccolo and each other. The Z fighters, Chichi and Bulma are all self-sustaining except in saving the world and I think that's why they like each other. After all Gohan did become a superhero and an orthopedist also. After he died because of Cell, his appearance are less frequent because he's already an angel or something like that and he's bound to heaven's rules.

Banned narutard bugboy is off to a good start
    Thanks

haha i never thought about it but ur right goku is a deadbeat dad. however if chi chi served divorce. i dont think goku would mind

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

In the real world yes he would be considered a dead beat dad but it is not the real world. It is DBZ and there in that world he is a hero.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast