+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bleach (Death God or Soul Reaper?)

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Bleach

It's all the same thing. You'll also hear some fansubs say "shinigami," while others translate it to death god. And although shinigami is translated to death god, the dubbed version must have simply coined it as a soul reaper.

Maybe I'm not the smartest guy on this topic, but I think it's because shinigami is, for the most part, a Japanese term and is part of their ideology. In America, or other "Western" culture, we have what are called soul reapers as part of our ideology. So that is why they switch, from what I believe. Anyone is welcome to add to, or correct what I said.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Bleach

Grumble Grumble Grumble

At least one of the Bleach fansub groups translated the term as 'Soul Reaper', so it depends on which fansub your comparing it to... Or you can wait until December when the first official 'Bleach' DVD is released, and see what they subtitle the Japanese sound track with...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

AO's Demon Slayer Hexxagon Champion, Match Stick Soccer Champion Blade X may be famous one day Blade X may be famous one day Blade X's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Bleach (Death God or Soul Reaper?)

mmm Skater you aint wrong that. Coz with the "Western" culture, Grim reapers or Soul Reapers are more associated with coz the pre dominant religion is Christanity and there is only one God. All other beings are servants of God or in some cases servant of the Devil. Thus the "West" use the term soul reaper as to not offend those are senstive about their religion.

Shinigami is indeed translated to Death God. Coz in mythology, there are several divine beings who also follow the rule of an Emperor of Gods. I might be wrong on this but it should be right. Thus in the japanese culture, Death God is more of a lesser divine being you could say. So the correct term you should use is Death God, one is the correct translation and two it sound so much cooler than saying Soul Reaper.

Thanks for the siggy Ky-lyrra

Newbie heavery may be famous one day heavery may be famous one day
    Thanks

I think Death God is a more proper term to use for Bleach because they collect souls and send them to their right destination and besides that’s what the author calls the character in the series.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

I've picked up the Bleach DVD Vol 1 this evening, and I've confirmed that...
    1. The subtitles ARE NOT dub-titles
    2. VIZ/Shoupro is using the term 'Soul Reaper' for the English Dub, AND the Japanese soundtrack subtitles...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

issn't this like a po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe thing? one means the same thing from different cultures and neither seems to indicate more than the other.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Newbie Cyberboy may be famous one day Cyberboy may be famous one day
    Thanks

i think lunar subbed it as death god while dattebayo subbed it as shinigami.. but i think its completely the same with soul reaper

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast