+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bleach (Death God or Soul Reaper?)

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Bleach (Death God or Soul Reaper?)

What’s a Shinigami, eh? Let's examine the written text, Kanji [including hiragana], excluding all the minor details, here it is:

~ 死に神 [or just 死神]. To begin with, the character 死 [し -shi] means death. As an example, the verb “to die” is shinu [死ぬ]. Next, に represents the sound ''ni'' in hiragana, Lastly, the character, 神, means God [kami]. So, shinigami literally means: Death God or God of death. However, correctly speaking, "kami" aren't necessarily Gods. They can be just mere spirits or forces of nature. And as is considered, death is a force of nature. If you ask a Shinto priest, that's what they will tell you. In Shinto tradition, as in other such religions like Buddhism and Hinduism, there are figures known as the death-deities or -gods.. But, in actual shinto scriptures, there isn't much [..] if not at all references to as shinigami being the term chosen to represent the principal Gods of death such as Goddess [Megami] Izanami.

~!! Shinigami are basically those figures which represent death that collect and transport/conduct souls of the dead into the other world, whatever that maybe is where the actual Death God make judgements [..] A term that is an exact equivalent to shinigami, which is used in Hinduism and also in Buddhism is Kinkara. They essentially gather up all the dead souls in the physical world and bring them to Jigoku [Japanese for hell] or Naraka [Sanskrit for hell]. It is here, where the Death God(s) dwell such as Enma Dai-O; he is Lord Yama, whose sister is Yami [in Sanskrit]. I am pretty sure that my description is a bit confusing, but you know what, Jigoku Shoujo is a great anime to watch to get a better idea of all this. It depicts many of these concepts. [--'''''] But yes, indeed, learning about all this in an actual temple would give you a much better and an actual idea.

!! To conclude, shinigami aren’t real Gods themselves, but are quasi-corporeal representations of death. Take my little sister for example, if asked who shinigami were, she would replay saying that they are evil/bad things that wear dark clothes, which take you away through death or some thing like that. So I guess, they are thought of as grim reapers. Keep in mind though, many of the traditional beliefs do get altered through the filter of pop culture. So through that, all the underlying core details do get lost.

Devoted Otaku hiei9957 may be famous one day hiei9957 may be famous one day hiei9957's Avatar
    Thanks

in the american vertions i think that is its soul reaper.. why are u asking any way.

Tanks zyta

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hiei9957 View Post
    in the american vertions i think that is its soul reaper.. why are u asking any way.
    If one has a question to which they were unable to obtain a clear answer, it's better to ask than remain as an ignoramus. So, that's why he/she asked that question.

EDIT:

~!! A kind reminder: If you have nothing useful to than add than what's already said, please don't just post reiterating the same thing. --"

Newbie worldpeace2529 is off to a good start worldpeace2529's Avatar
    Thanks

death god is also known as shinigami, but a soul reaper is the sword that the shinigami use

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Me use big letters for this.

Kubotite intended Shinigami to mean "Soul Reaper".

His definition of Shinigami is "Soul Reaper".

Quote Originally Posted by worldpeace2529 View Post
    death god is also known as shinigami, but a soul reaper is the sword that the shinigami use
    Shinigami = Soul Reaper.
    Zanpakuto = Soul Slayer.
    I love my girlfriend.

Newbie marz_loveless is off to a good start marz_loveless's Avatar
    Thanks

well i guess it can be either one....it all goes with the translations. there are alot of things that the japanese versions say...but when translated into english they change it...but i guess if the origianal version says death god...we can go with that^^

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marz_loveless View Post
    well i guess it can be either one....it all goes with the translations. there are alot of things that the japanese versions say...but when translated into english they change it...but i guess if the origianal version says death god...we can go with that^^
    ~!! I do not think a bunch of sword-carrying, hair-colored, animated characters can be regarded as Death Gods. To the international audience, they are to be pictured as soul reapers, same for the Japanese audience ~!!!!!!! Them characters may so be thought of as representatives of the actual Death Gods, not Gods themselves ~ They simply perform their duty by transmigrating dead and/or lost souls to the actual Death God(s). That's how it is in Shintoism, Hinduism, and Buddhism~ Even those hollows, as they are called, are creatures that can be found in myths of Hinduism and Buddhism ~ Some of the things depicted in the anime, Bleach, in fact relate to the actual concepts in those aforementioned religions.

Btw, nice to have you back, InnerHell! ^_^

Newbie Pyramus may be famous one day Pyramus may be famous one day Pyramus's Avatar
    Thanks

A death god is known as both a Shinigami and a soul reaper, the sword is a Zanpactou!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast