+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Excel Saga too funny?

I Hate Junk Posting AiB Champion, Typo Champion Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball's Avatar
    Thanks

Is Excel Saga too funny?

Now this is an Anime that you need to watch if you want a good laugh. But is it too ridiculous? Has the director pushed the comedy a bit too far?

We see gags left right and centre in Excel Saga. Excel Saga parodies western culture as well as Japanese culture. It's probably one of the funniest Anime Series out.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is Excel Saga too funny?

The over-the-top quality of Excel Saga is exactly what makes it so good. Spoofing alone would have been funny, but the show adds its own touch to make the targeted anime or genre recognizable, but the episode/scene still original, i.e. the episode near the end of series based on "Fist of the North Star". Excel Saga already straddles the line between funny and annoying; I think if Watanabe had held anything back, for me, it would have fallen flat onto the side of the latter.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

One of the problems with a good parody series is that you have to understand what is being parodied to get the inside joke... So how many people REALLY understood the 'white comet' reference in the second episode? (as you have had to seen the 'Space Battleship Yamato' movie or the second TV series to understand it's true meaning...) Another example is the episode with the puchu's who are dressed up as, and have spaceships that parody 'Space Pirate Queen Esmeralda' and 'Space Pirate Captain Harlock'. Again, without knowledge of the works of Leji Matsumoto, these jokes would go right over your head... Because of this, I would not recommend 'Excel Saga' to a beginner Anime fan...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree, Excel Saga is definitely not for those new to anime. But in my case, it was recommended to me by a sales person, and even though I didn't know all of the anime that were being parodied, I really enjoyed it and count it among my top three favorite anime.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Newbie AishaStar may be famous one day AishaStar may be famous one day
    Thanks

Having seen lots of "old school" anime as well as recent, it was easy to laugh at all the parodies. So I agree as far as the parodies go, it's not for people new to anime. Now as far as just a crazy, insane, hilarious, warped sence of humor anime, I'd say it's for anyone. Anyone who can stomach it that is.

No. I don't think they pushed the comedy too far. It's perfectly ridiculous in a morbid kind of funny way. I wouldn't change any of it. I've never laughed so evilly (if that's a word) in my life until I saw Excel Saga.

Otaku JOJO AC may be famous one day JOJO AC may be famous one day JOJO AC's Avatar
    Thanks

Indeed, you have to know quite a few classic anime to undertand most of the jokes and parodies, but the Excel Saga DVDs. But the Excel Saga DVDs have the extra option to put "ADV NOTES" all over the episodes that tell you what's being parodied or about the language jokes, that's pretty helpfull for those that arent so knowledgeable in anime.

Otaku animemeg may be famous one day animemeg may be famous one day animemeg's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly I would say it was not funny enough....I mean I got the jokes, and they were amusing...But honestly I don't get why people are so into Excel Saga. It's good no doubt but hardly the great wonderful, awesome comedy people call it....Eh....That's just me though. I have never been able to really like anything that's all parody.

Newbie Ryuji Askikaga is off to a good start
    Thanks

I'm watching this anime with my friend I found out this anime is alittle over the edge. Everyone in this get crude up or something not normal happens to someone. Excel Saga for some reason doesn't make sense to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast