+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Excel's Love

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Excel's Love

In the last few episodes of the series, Excel has lost her memory after being shot by Ilpalazzo. Torture at Ilpalazzo's hands isn't unusual for Excel; he shoots her with a gun and a rocket launcher in the first episode and flushes her down the hole nearly every subsequent episode. But at the point where she begs his forgiveness for her abscence (due to inadvertently wrecking an alien ship which inadvertently results in the realization of Across's goals), and he deliberately shoots her, the series turns semi-serious, focusing on Excel's inability to accept that Ilpalazzo will never love her the way she loves him, hence her amnesia. Yet Excel's love for Ilpalazzo never fades, and in the end, she can't bring herself to kill him for how badly he treated her.

My thought here is on a quote from Excel at that moment, when she stands before Ilpalazzo as he holds a gun on her. Her exact words were, "Love and loyalty are the same to me...". I thought this was the the most poignant thought I'd ever heard, and as stupid as Excel comes across, this is probably the most important moment in the series. Any misgivings I had about Excel were dispelled at that moment, and it got me thinking: Are love and loyalty really the same? Are there any other moments in Excel Saga where loyalty proves love or vice versa? Hmmm...this could be a good thread for the cyber lounge...(sans Excel Saga).
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Newbie Baron may be famous one day Baron may be famous one day Baron's Avatar
    In the minds and souls of all evil beings.
    Thanks

Re: Excel's Love

It is a great line and actually has its roots at the word-play jokes Excel constantly makes and the title song.

You see one of the Japanese words for love can also mean loyalty as it so happens, and yes the two can be the same.

Personally I've always thought Ilpalazzo secretly cares for Excel, even as he is annoyed by her.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    Personally I've always thought Ilpalazzo secretly cares for Excel, even as he is annoyed by her.
    I agree; it becomes noticeable near the end when Ilpalazzo has memories of meeting Excel, and even more so when he can't kill her. But while Excel's love allowed her to be loyal through anything, Ilpalazzo initially has no problem betraying Excel, i.e. when he shoots her.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku JOJO AC may be famous one day JOJO AC may be famous one day JOJO AC's Avatar
    Thanks

I liked that episode since it's one of the few episodes of the series where it wasnt all just jokes, but Excel getting shot and almost dying because of it was more of a plot element from the animators for their "no gags" episode, since Excel was also shot in the first episode and "got revived" seconds later. Now that i think about it, Excel also lost her memory in the manga(but because she got hit by a truck), this let to an unexpected meeting between Excel and Kabapu and gave small hints that the 2 of them have met before.

Newbie animequeen101 is off to a good start animequeen101's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree b/c it always seems that way 2 me
    There is never happiness in a place of paon thats why i picked pain

+ Reply to Thread