+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Differences between the anime and manga?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Differences between the anime and manga?

Quote Originally Posted by Ochi Gate View Post
    well, in the manga kowru was packing an EVA-sized chainsaw... thats kinda cool...

i agree with aceman, which what he describes should have happened anyway.
    but i altogether like the anime more, personally...
    The manga's definately more interesting/tightly plotted... but it's a bit disappointing for anyone who found anything light or hopeful in the animated original.

The original version showed Shinji as a passive victim of circumstance and neglect who eventually escaped from his nightmarish experience by coming to terms with himself and those around him. It allows for a nihilistic interpretation (that it's all just escapism on his part) while still being upbeat.

I honestly can't see the manga ending that way. EVA gets darker and uglier with every interpretation ~_~; I'm not sure that's a good thing... darkness for darkness' sake is kind of lame. I thought the first set of films were nihilistic to the point of being offensive, I still trim them from my memory of canon. It's just as immature to assume there's nothing good in the world as it is to assume it's all flowers and puppies. I keep hoping for SOMETHING beautiful to happen (just to put things in perspective) or to find ONE thing about manga-Shinji that's worth giving a crap about... I no longer hate him for being a passive, moping dipshit: but for intentionally, actively closing himself off to the outside world and being a naeive prick about it in the process.

click to show spoiler

And yes, the double chainsaw was cool... though I wonder how he got over that hacked off leg so quickly (and with 100% synch too... OUCH) ^^;;;
    Last edited by aceman67; Sep 18, 2007 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Some of us can't read Volume 11 yet...

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    And yes, the double chainsaw was cool... though I wonder how he got over that hacked off leg so quickly (and with 100% synch too... OUCH) ^^;;;
    oh yeahvery painful. lets not forget
     click to show spoiler

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

Newbie BlackSwordsman1 is off to a good start
    Thanks

From one of the very first things that i noticed was the difference of shinji ikari in the manga and shinji ikari in the anime. Shinji in the manga, seemed more tempermental, more irritable, violent, and pessimistic as in the anime Shinji is represented as being shy timid. In the manga shinji is also alot more outspoken and assertive as such when Misato announces her plans to take him home to live with her, Shinji loudly argues and protests, which is very different from his reaction in the anime.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks
    Rei ayanami has a more expressed interest in Shinji. Shinji's friend trapped in the eva unit is killed by shinji, whereas he was just injured in the anime. Another difference is that in the manga shinji soul gets absorbed into the eva unit which leads to an ultimate synch of 400%. The fail to get his soul back but Rei Ayanami is somehow able to conjur Shinji's soul back. Also upon meeting the gang Asuka doesn't care that they saw her panties. But request an extra 100 yen so she can play an arcade game. That is the price for viewing her. Also she beats the hell out of some thugs that pick a fight with Shinji and his crew.

Another difference that was pointed out to me is that in the anime you never see Kawuro fighting an angel. But he does fight an angel in the manga. He goes up against armisael. That is the only reference in the manga that there are different types of angels. And that one was refered to as an encroachment type.
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Jul 07, 2009 at 01:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2