+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3 Japanese Men Arrested, Charged with Uploading Anime

Newbie 4n0th1n9 is off to a good start 4n0th1n9's Avatar
    Thanks

3 Japanese Men Arrested, Charged with Uploading Anime

Was on MT today, saw a nice Clannad scan, and then read the link that came with it.;
    Topic; 3 Japanese Men Arrested, Charged with Uploading Anime
    Link; http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...uploading-anime

It's definitely worth a read through, and opinions on this well if you want, but just make sure not to make similar mistakes, and check the upload sites, along with the websites you visit for the downloads.
    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5449/navicopyjpg1hj6.jpg

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 3 Japanese Men Arrested, Charged with Uploading Anime

This isn't actually all that new of a phenomenon. People have been busted for scanning manga images for net cafes and numerous Japanese were arrested off WinMX and winny for distributing software.

Though it should definately give some ex-pat youtubers and raw-providers pause. The LAST thing most fans living abroad want is to be deported permanantly.

The focus is on domestic piracy... but one look at youtube gives you about 600 links to raw anime epsiodes uploaded by foreigners either living in Japan or the US which are available to Japanese youtube viewers (and companies likely to sue your pants off for distributing them).

It's actually one of the reasons I dislike this site's gallery being open to the public and spiders. If someone wants to go after me for uploading all those scans after a simple web-search for their property: I'll probably be sent packing for good. And as unlikely as that is at this point in the game, it would really suck to be "the example".

Devoted Otaku Power Play Champion gaarasandkiller1 is off to a good start gaarasandkiller1's Avatar
    Thanks

Well and i am just spitballing this but its a massively growing occurance of scanning and stealing raw material of others sites for ilegal profit or for everyone to see and ubtain for free. Whats crazzy is that your not all that likely to get hit for it as long as you slightly alter it so its not the same. Once it's not dirrectly th same they cant sue you because its as they quote different and there for"not copied" and i seen this being put into practice. As much as i hate this and the fact anime show's have been shut down or cancled for this its a ongoing problem that we can't realy stop because no one realy whants too when they can save money if they pay for it at all so naturaly people will come stubling at the chance.

What most of those who do that dont realize is they can get in deep trouble for up loading the materials depending on if the stuff wasn't alterd anough to hide it being stolen. As far as i know the scanning thing or downloading free anime is too popular to stop and not anough proof or evidedance to stop it making it so all we can do is stall it. My opion is if this keeps up us true anime fan's might loose more anime shows to this and make it harder to obtain and if cancled more costly to get the anime episodes or monga we whant(which i am sure we dont whant this hassle.) As for the two men its realy old new that this is happening because its 2 out of millions so the numbers are stacked.
    Last edited by gaarasandkiller1; Feb 08, 2008 at 08:09 AM.
    *All the same i will kill you all,Gaara* (yes i made my own siggy

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gaarasandkiller1 View Post
    Well and i am just spitballing this but its a massively growing occurance of scanning and stealing raw material of others sites for ilegal profit or for everyone to see and ubtain for free. Whats crazzy is that your not all that likely to get hit for it as long as you slightly alter it so its not the same. Once it's not dirrectly th same they cant sue you because its as they quote different and there for"not copied" and i seen this being put into practice.
    Unfortunately you are wrong. There is far more to fair use than adding subtitles or a watermark. The ONLY difference is in perception and enforcement. Uploading fansubs, scanlation, etc is just as illegal as uploading raws, and if the company wants to go after you: they can (and they'll win).

Japanese fans have been sued for DOUJINSHI and have lost.

Fair use doesn't even cover most derivative works. If you can't use a copyright character in your own completely original artwork: why the heck would it be legal to edit an image someone else has drawn, copyrighted and hasn't given you express permission to use?

It isn't :P

Fair use generally falls in the realm of parody, commentary, art, satire and private home use. Fansubbing isn't commentary... and for the most part, doujinshi isn't artistic (it's commercial).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tsurara For This Useful Post:

gaarasandkiller1 (Feb 08, 2008)

Thanks

This isn't new, you're right @tsurara, but this is recent, and the new Clannad series which I'm a fan of now is being affected, and that's why else I brought it up.
    How while we enjoy endless anime, and images, they may very well be infected with a virus.
    While at the same time the free anime we are being provided with, others to whom we are thankful for it, go to jail.
    Not to say it's the right judgment, and what we do is right, but still it's sad to what this world is coming to, over a popular phenomenon (anime).

On another note, @gaarasandkiller1 - mentioning to change it one bit, it's still not yours, especially the licensed series, and thus the minor changes don't give you the right to the product. As tsurara already explained.

Last but not least, this is common news, and easily accepted, and brushed off by the public. That in which case is what we come to in this day, and age, and seemingly unaware of it due to influence of external sources.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

What would be far more intrusive is the proposal banning the DOWNLOADING of licensed video files (both streaming and downloads)

Final Blow to File Sharing? Japan's Gov't to Revise Copyright Law -- Tech-On!

Japanese Panel Pushes Ban on Illegal Downloads Forward (Updated) - Anime News Network
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

That's within itself is old news, and in fact as seen in the article;
    After issuing a request for public comments, the subcommittee received 7,500 responses. Makoto Kawase, the head of the agency's Copyrighted Work Circulation Promotion Department, said that it has never received this many comments for a proposed piece of legislation before. Even though Kawase noted that the vast majority of the public comments called for no change in the copyright law...etc..
    It's something that won't happen, at least not for a while, and in the interest of the public here, whom would vote for this to be passed?
    Just for the morale, and look right, and just in front of others there may be some to stand up, and say this is wrong.
    But then when no one is around, they will be committing such actions which they (or us) oppose in the society's presence.

You can argue both points here, but in fact link was interesting.

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well i think its dumb that we cant upload the mangas/animes its all because people want money the reason they are busting and going to jail .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast