+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About the animation of the anime "Gungrave"

Newbie Taikaw is off to a good start
    Thanks

About the animation of the anime "Gungrave"

Can somebody tell me why Gungrave's animation seems to be kind of not-so-good and old?!
    I recently started watching Gungrave, and the story seems interesting and everything, but I felt that the animation of the anime seems inferior to most of Madhouse's works during the time Gungrave was on TV.

For example, on the same year was a anime movie called "Tokyo Godfathers". Spectacular animation with great movements. The year before that was Gunslinger Girl, with great animation, and Chobits, that lacked the "quality" that I like and see in Madhouse, but still had exceptional animation.

If I could compare it to any other anime animation wise, it could be Madhouse's anime that aired in 1998, TRIGUN. It's about the same, if not superior to the animation of Gungrave which aired in 2003~4.

The animation seems to be old and not so good, considering the time it aired and that it was made by MADHOUSE.
    Does anybody have any opinion(s)? Thanks!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: About the animation of the anime "Gungrave"...

Grumble Grumble Grumble

It's mostly a matter of budget. You can't compare a console game to anime TV series (who's character artwork was pre-determined in the console game) to a main stream award winning theatrical movie release. And neither of the other two TV anime series you mention, (e.g. 'Chobits' and 'Gunslinger Girl') were console game adaptations, which no doubt gave them larger production budgets...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie Taikaw is off to a good start
    Thanks

Yeah, I was foolish to compare an award winning anime movie to a TV series, but are you saying that console game adaptation usually are given lower budgets? I remember the anime "Devil May Cry" had exceptional animation and is a video game adaptation...

The thing is, I just felt the animation was old-looking as if it was mad in the early 90s...

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

As a general rule, Console Games to Anime adaptations are usually created as a promotion for the Console Game... This all contributes to the reputation of poor writing of Console Game adaptations, because the Anime series would be hard pressed to show the multiple and exclusive paths of the Console Game story, as well as the most significant scenes being limited to game itself...

The quality of 'Devil May Cry', (as well as most recent Anime TV series in general), is really more due to the improvement in the recently reduced labor reducing CGI animation workstation technology. Recent long running TV series (e.g. 'Eureka Seven', 'Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood') are easily surpassing the quality of the best of the high budget OVA Anime features of the 1990s
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LenMiyata For This Useful Post:

Taikaw (Mar 23, 2010)

+ Reply to Thread