+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American made anime?

Otaku Drkduality may be famous one day Drkduality may be famous one day Drkduality's Avatar
    Thanks

Question American made anime?

I have a few questions that has been bugging me for a while.

Are there any American anime or do they have to be Japanese to be considered an anime? If anime doesn't have to be japanese what shows would you consider to be anime and why?

My first self-made sig.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: American made anime?

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Outside of Japan, the generally accepted definition of 'Anime' is animation produced and targeted for a Japanese audience. But there are some 'exceptions' that test this definition. Back in the 1980s, the Anime movie called 'Project A-ko' had its english background music soundtrack recorded in a San Diego studio. The movie 'Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust' had its English dubbed (with mostly US actors) international release a full 6 months before work started on the Japanese dubbed soundtrack. And in the past few years, things have gotten even stranger, with US companies and properties entering the Japanese market. Cartoon Network has had a anime version of the 'Powerpuff Girls' made and shown in Japan, (with rumors indicating a eventual US showing of this series) Disney has a localized production produced by Studio Toei of 'Lilo & Stitch' that is currently showing in Japan. And this summer, there's the upcoming CGI movie of 'Astro Boy' produced in Hong Kong under funding provided by the WB.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie Light Mario is off to a good start
    Thanks

And...I know there are a couple cartoons like Teen Titans and Avatar last airbender that share some (or several) features with anime...though with "americanized art"

I'm not sure those could be actually considered "american manga" though....Though that brings up a good question...

...what "defines" anime? This is the wikipedia entry on anime: Anime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

according to this, the cartoons mentioned above are not anime in any way...nor would the ones mentioned by Len. However, I wonder if there is another source...a more official one...

Otaku Robo Soccer Champion, Gorillaz Groove Session Champion blackrose92 is off to a good start blackrose92's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont think there is such a thing as american "anime" i mean sure we have similar cartoons to the Japanese arts but i wouldnt call them anime i just call them cartoons lol
    I'm the best you'll ever have because i am that f*ing AMA-zing chic who can stand on her own d*n feet and becasue of you I am the Greatest Thank you so much SasuraiHell and Gwen

The Joker Reincarnate Curveball Champion Jokerman may be famous one day Jokerman's Avatar
    Thanks

I mean I hope that what our fair Otaku has said is true. Because what I wanna do would most likely be labeled as American just cuz I'm american and its Japanese Targeted (Anime)

I believe…whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you…stranger.
    Jokerman's Twitter Page: www.twitter.com/JokermanUno
    Thanx Shin Ryuga!!!!

Newbie NinjaRyu is off to a good start NinjaRyu's Avatar
    Thanks

Well the closest one would be Teen Titans. If you ever watched it you can tell it just screams american/anime that is what the animators were going for.
    The second Avatar the Last Airbender targeted at american audiences so its not even dubbed into english since that's its original language.
    The third and final one I could think of would be Afro samurai which is completely japanese animation but uses american voice actors/music.
    Hope this helps.
    "I've come to deliver some bad luck" Train Hartnett

+ Reply to Thread