+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anime Characters Characteristics

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anime Characters Characteristics

Quote Originally Posted by AstralMage01 View Post
    You came to a part which I'd like to talk about, which is the eyes
    Eyes are the gate to the anime character's soul; the first thing most people do when looking to an anime(mostly the pictures) is to make eye contact w\the character
    Agreed.

The eye is arguably the most defining physical feature/characteristic in anime. There's no real need for heavy analyzation, all we need is one look and, "bam, that's anime!".

In my opinion the eye style in anime is second to none when it comes to character delivery. There's just enough room for expression in anime eyes, realistic eyes isn't capable of doing that, so does the western comic eye designs, etc.. Anime eyes are impossible enough and that impossibility opens up a lot of possibilities. In anime, the artist could easily twitch an eye design and get away with it, there's not too much science about it...If y'know what i mean.

60s- yeah eye designs are okay but it will soon get better
    70s- the eyes are starting to give identity to the characters but will still get better
    80s- they have become good enough, definitely gives identity to the characters!
    90s- eye designs at their heyday, 90s anime are the best in the eye department when it comes to characterization, gave identity not only to the characters but to anime as well
    00s- same as the 90s but the variation is becoming much more evident

Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Thanks

Yup, I wouldn't have a problem with unrealistic colors... Except for the realistic variety, anime's appeal lies at least partly in its being "cute and colorful", generally speaking.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Otaku animemeg may be famous one day animemeg may be famous one day animemeg's Avatar
    Thanks

It depends on the series... If it's going for a more realistic feel of course I would like the characters to be believable as far as hair color and such

However if it's either very unrealistic or totally light hearted some wacky colors seem to make more sense...

I am cool either way...

Newbie deathangelvhei is off to a good start
    Thanks

i really don't care about their characteristics although these are plus points...

but what i care about is the sense of the story...

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I don't really care as long as it's still more or less realistic. I didn't even notice that Nyu had pink hair in Elfen Lied most of the time... It just mustn't be too striking, appart from whene there is a reason why the character looks like that. As long as it doesn't bother my watching, pink, purple and green hair is ok with me.

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

Otaku Haruko Haruhara is off to a good start Haruko Haruhara's Avatar
    Thanks

I think anime characters look good with the different types of hair color and the
    strange eye color. To a newbie in anime if the characters look to much alike they
    will get confused on who's who, or so my mom thinks so. She watchs anime
    occassionally and when she sees one of my anime magazines or mangas and flips
    through it she says that the characters look to much alike. One day she asked me
    why anime characters have such strange hair colors? I said,because they look cool.
    She looks at the book again and says how can you tell them apart? There you go,
    you know have your answer about the hair. And its also know that a persons hair
    color defines who they are like blondes are goofy(Naruto), pink is playful, red heads
    are temper mental, and silver hair is Sephiroth, Rei, and Inuyasha, which I think
    explains what I'm trying to say about silver if you just look at the characters I picked.

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haruko Haruhara View Post
    And its also know that a persons hair
    color defines who they are like blondes are goofy(Naruto), pink is playful, red heads
    are temper mental, and silver hair is Sephiroth, Rei, and Inuyasha, which I think
    explains what I'm trying to say about silver if you just look at the characters I picked.
    Your color scheme rule might prove true to some characters or just pure coincidence. I do agree that hair colors symbolizes and defines personalities but i still have to respectfully disagree on a couple of things you've said. Goofy, playful, hothead, and broodingly cold aren't always the case.

Blonde hair color doesn't necessarily symbolizes goofiness, back in the day blonde was a color of power and race. Think about the Super Saiyans, Char Aznable of MSG, Fushigi Yugi's Nakago, Yugioh's Yugi(both of them) aren't really goofy dudes, and if you'll look back at a lot of old shows blondes are members of nobility.

There are temper mental redheads but take these 3 for example: there's Kenshin(rurounikenshin), Aya(Weiss Kreuz), Kurama(YuYu Hakusho)...all three are far from being hot tempered.

Yeah silverheads are mostly cold and brooding but if we're going to base it on your color scheme rule Inuyasha should be a blonde.

Playful applies to some pinkheads but pink represents the pretty and the "kawaii" more than playfulness as far as i see it.

Otaku Haruko Haruhara is off to a good start Haruko Haruhara's Avatar
    Thanks

I stand corrected on some things, but still saying that some characters are defined by
    the way they look, ofcourse I did consider alot of characters that did not hold up to
    my theory which basicly I think the writers and artists wanted to mix it up a bit, so
    that everything wouldn't be the same as everyone elses.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast