+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anime Clothing (Not cosplay-related)

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime Clothing (Not cosplay-related)

Who thinks the companies that produces the anime tshirts need a new designer?

Anyone that own anime t-shirts would know what I am talking about. While I don't wear anime-theme clothing to work, I don't mind wearing a tshirt or something occasionally to show my pride. But it's not helping my case when the designs are lame and geeky. All they do is take a pic from an artbook and ironing it onto the tshirt basically.

I mean, don't they already own rights to print the shirts?? Why not get creative to reach a bigger consumer group. I don't buy any shirts anymore, and of the few I own the only one I can wear outside is my P-Chan Ranma 1/2 shirt.

Perhaps if someone can enlighten me as to why this is so, it would be great.
    [/rant]

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anime Clothing (Not cosplay-related)

Simple...

The secondary products of the anime industry comes in the form of toys and collectibles, games, et cetera. Fashion and clothing isn't really prioritized that much in the industry so don't expect too much quantity and quality from this side of the market. (Unless it's Sanrio)
    Last edited by Hantei16; Jun 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM.

The Joker Reincarnate Curveball Champion Jokerman may be famous one day Jokerman's Avatar
    Thanks

But it really would be great if the clothes would be more good looking. I have a Death Note shirt that i wear and it does look plastered on and thats why i don't wear it as much as i would like to, just to show my anime pride.

I believe…whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you…stranger.
    Jokerman's Twitter Page: www.twitter.com/JokermanUno
    Thanx Shin Ryuga!!!!

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerman View Post
    But it really would be great if the clothes would be more good looking. I have a Death Note shirt that i wear and it does look plastered on and thats why i don't wear it as much as i would like to, just to show my anime pride.
    Right, case in point: Message - Anime Online Gallery

Great wall by aceman by the way. THing is take this wall for example, this made into a tshirt, even I would wear it even though I'm not a fan of the show. It has the anime theme with an unique design along with a side reference that some would get.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually, it's not really a designer issue...

*looks back on my years as an art school freshman in graphics and design class*

Shirt printing is quite easy and affordable depending on what method you're using, the quality of the prints will always depend on the method, the talent of the one making it, and the quality of the fabric and other materials. A lot of companies that sell anime-related fashion stuff are either low-budgeted or bootleggers, even if they have the grandest of ideas, if they aren't well equipped those ideas will end up in the rejection row. Let's face it, companies with lesser budgets at their disposal usually prefers the cheaper, faster, dubious, and the "safer" ways to earn. In the field of advertising and design, it's rare to find a company that lets their designers dictate the outcome and design of the products, it all boils down to the approval of the "Man".

To tell you the truth there's no well-established company in the field of anime-related fashion except for Sanrio, the company responsible for characters like Hello Kitty and My Melody. Yes it would be nice to have cool and fashionable anime clothing but hey, who's making it? Does the majority of fans even care? I don't think so, fans who gets less anime will tend to buy DVDs instead, young professionals and adults who "can afford" will tend to buy toys and collectibles, Sanrio will always be there for the females and the high-end fashionistas, kids and teens will prefer to spend money renting and buying games, some fans would spend for cosplay related clothing instead of the casual ones, yadda yadda.

I'm not saying that there are no big companies other than Sanrio that produces anime-related clothing with good quality, even big shots like Toei and Bandai are doing it but the majority of such stuff are targeted at a younger audience of 8 and below.

As a hobbyist i am also aware that some anime related clothing are released only for commemorative and special purposes. Most of these items aren't sold, instead, they are included as freebies included in major gatherings and limited edition collectibles so if you're willing to shell out big amounts just for the sake of otaku swag then you could always try this route.

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Well just wear those expensive Anime Hawiian shirts. Those look really cool.

Shibuya Crosser Onizuka may be famous one day Onizuka may be famous one day Onizuka's Avatar
    Thanks

what if i made a line of t-shirts? with what the people want ......whats the guarantee they would be popular and sell......? what would you like to see on an anime t-shirt?

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

well sometimes i feel thwey should tone things down. instead of having the whole cast of characters from Death Note, let's just say, why not just have a black shiort with the Old English L?

i think the companies shell out mediocrity because of the money they know they'll make.
    Why hello there!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast