+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anime Conventions Advice

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime Conventions Advice

Anime conventions. The mecca of otaku and swag collectors alike. I've yet to experience one first hand and am planning to in the summer. I would like to know where good anime conventions are around southern New York or somewhere withing a couple hours of driving.

Also i would like to know who a good character to cosplay as would be. Seeing as i have a beard and glasses and am goofy, Maes Hughes comes to mind.

Would anyone like to give me some advice? And to make things interesting, what was something you have experience at a convention that you would not advise some one else to do? Or perhaps there is a story of a funny/disturbing/random occurance at a convention you went to that you'd like to share.

Either way, we'd all like to hear the hilarity!
    Why hello there!

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anime Conventions Advice

I couldn't give you any advice about where to cosplay coz our place in Illinois(well, im in the Philippines right now) w/c is less than an hour away from St. Louis is light years away from where you are...I think St. Louis houses a bunch of cons but i'm still not sure, it's a busy metropolis so the probability of a con being held there is quite high... There was this book con that i managed to attend by luck during a trip to San Antonio. It look liked a con/flea market tho, i hauled mangas, a couple of D&D books and other miscellaneous stuff.

I'm currently in the Philippines, and i've been attending lots of cons here for the past couple of months. As far as con experiences go, i'm like what you said, a swag collector. That's my only purpose why i attend cons. I don't mean to bash our local cons here...but based on what i've seen, it's not really excellent...But still pretty okay, even though it has boring tendencies...

Disturbing occurance? Good cosplaying events due to the really bad cosplayers....heh. Although not all cosplayers here are THAT bad, some are. That takes us to the advising part:

Who to cosplay? Beard and glasses, there are lots of characters like that but i dunno if your exact look matches theirs. Just pick a character that you can portray visually and make sure you act like it. I've seen cosplayers here that cosplayed characters that doesn't even match their overall look...think of a small and chubby Nicholas Wolfwood, or a pot bellied Joe Higashi..i've seen both. I've also seen people that looked the part but was too shy to act like it. I've seen a constipated Haruhi and a bunch of Rock Lees that moves no better than my 90 year old grandma. Y'know what i mean right?

However, there are cosplayers that deliberately makes goofy versions of the character. Like a 6-foot male cosplaying Sailor MOon, that was positively funny and and exception to the ones i've mentioned above...

Good luck on your future cosplays. Do your thing and steal the show, on a positive note, that is.

Newbie amatsubu is off to a good start amatsubu's Avatar
    In the most corrupt, and scheming boarding school ever...cause my parents hate me v.v
    Thanks

you'll love conventions they are absolutely amazing...and as a cosplayer it will make it even better...advice though do not...DO NOT glomp the artists or voice actors...the security guards have tazers *shudder8

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Watch this and remember well: DrunkenSquirrel Entertainment

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amatsubu View Post
    you'll love conventions they are absolutely amazing...and as a cosplayer it will make it even better...advice though do not...DO NOT glomp the artists or voice actors...the security guards have tazers *shudder8
    hahaha, ive seen something like that. a bunch of Ed Elric fangirls jumped the voice actor. twas a truely funny video.

and in response to good old Aceman: lol, thanks for the advice, but i've seen that video so many times i can recite it by heart XD
    Why hello there!

~Counting Down the Days~ NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm try to go with something your interested in when you cosplay. Choose your favorite show and then find a charecter who's body type you kinda already fit into. Thats what I have to do and it always comes out well.

Our love will go on until the end of time. I will always be yours and you will be mine.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeoDeath90 View Post
    and in response to good old Aceman: lol, thanks for the advice, but i've seen that video so many times i can recite it by heart XD
    That means that its worth remembering. I'm the type of person who actually tells someone that they stink. I didn't pay for a con to be in a "funk sandwich"

And what do you mean "old". I'm 22, which is only 5 years older then you are buddy.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

My advice is have fun!!
    If you get the time, money, and opportunity, go for it.
    I am a regular to Sakura-Con in Seattle, WA... And at first I was a bit turned off, to be honest. Waaaayyyyyy too many annoying fan girls. ((I'm one of those quiet, closet fan girls lol))
    BUT... I went back the second time and had a blast!

As far as cosplay goes, just as everyone else has said - Go for what you feel you can accomplish. I've cosplayed... A lot... Mostly as male characters lol. I went as Spike~The second time I cosplayed I went for Kyo of Dir en Grey... lol I have one HUGE project I'm building right now.. literally. CLAYMORE... metal... armor... 'nuff said. lol!
    So go for what you want - As long as you are having fun, the rest will fall into place. ^_^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast