+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anime Destroying American Society . . .

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime Destroying American Society . . .

You don’t know how hard it was for me to type that title into the thread title box. This thread is about an article I found while I was cruising the internet and my usual things when I stumbled upon this little “gem”. It’s an article about the evils of Japanese anime and how it is destroying American society. . . yeah, I wanted to cry in misery from the stupidity of this article.

Japanese Anime Destroying American Society

It wasn't until around the fifth grade that I began to think something was wrong. That year, a strange new cartoon worked its way into the social lexicon of coolness. It was called "Dragon Ball Z" and, for reasons my 10-year-old mind could not articulate, it was making me nervous. Ten years later, I can't help thinking that I could have done something, anything, to stop the tsunami of anime that was to come.

In a society dominated by excess and two-second attention spans, cartoons play a significant role in preparing us for the world. Each can be thought of as a 30-minute babysitter, instilling the kids who watch them with certain values and life lessons. But the landscape has changed.

Before I go any further, I should state the following: No matter who you are - whether you're black, white, Asian, Latino, even Canadian - I don't judge you by the color of your skin. I say this because I direct my comments to the media elites, in Japan and elsewhere, who have taken it upon themselves to flood the airwaves with shows like "Pokemon," "Digimon," and "Yugio" - sorry, "Yu-Gi-Oh!" They all started as card trading games, and should have ended there as well. Instead they've jumped to the mass media, where they're slowly chipping away at our collective moral fiber.

It's not a conspiracy. A conspiracy, by definition, requires that multiple parties are working together to achieve some sort of goal. None of the shows I've seen make nearly enough sense to be working toward anything other than a lackluster battle between Bulbasaur and Charmander and the next commercial break.

Don't believe the threat's real? A report from CNN's Tokyo affiliate in December 1997 documented an incident in which "More than 700 people, mainly school children, were rushed to hospitals Tuesday after suffering convulsions, vomiting, irritated eyes and other symptoms." Was it a gas leak at the local school? No. Were the kids breathing glue out of brown paper bags? No. Were they watching "Pokemon"? You bet your authentic Squirtle trading card they were.

Remember the cartoons you watched as a child, like "Rugrats"? Everyone watched "Rugrats." With his toothless grin and indomitable spirit, Tommy Pickles represented the very best in all of us. He was like a Che Guevara for the MTV generation. Sure, when he and the rest of the Rugrats "grew up" I died a little inside. But still, not a day goes by where I don't take a moment and thank Tommy for the life lessons he taught me. So what is Pokemon teaching the next generation of kids? The virtues of capturing exotic animals and making them fight for your amusement? I already learned that from Michael Vick.

Some of you may be thinking, "That's all well and good, but what about all of the mindless American television?" After all, this country invented mindless television. And networks like VH1 are keeping that proud tradition alive. But the difference here lies in the target audience: Shows like "Flavor of Love" and "Hogan Knows Best" are watched by people who have already been stupid for years, even decades. There's nothing we can do but make them as comfortable as possible.

The next generations of kids aren't even getting a chance. Unless something is done to reverse this trend, we're going to be looking at millions of high school dropouts who don't see the point in going to college unless it teaches them to capture magic crystals. No one wants to see that day. This issue transcends politics, even religion. It's the ethical dilemma of our day and age, one that makes me want to throw my hands in the air, and yell, "Will someone think of the children?"

By: Elon Glucklich

I have to say this takes the cake. I have never read anything so ridiculous in my life. This sounds just like the arguments of how Harry Potter or video games are destroying the minds of children when really you need to point the finger at the parents.

Saying that anime gives no moral values is like saying the sun doesn’t shine. I have seen many anime where they have plenty of moral lessons. Generalizing anime like this and saying it is poisoning our minds is ridiculous. I admit there are anime out there that are not suited for children but there are others that are and they are chock full of them. I shouldn’t even have to mention all the sort of moral speeches I heard on DBZ when I was a kid.

The reference to the show on CNN Tokyo is crazy, too. You don’t “suffer convulsions, vomiting, irritated eyes and other symptoms” by watching too much anime and even if in some alternate universe that was true where are the parents in all this??

And going back to about how he is basically saying that anime seems to be empty of any moral lessons. Well, I see a lot more moral lessons than a lot of the other crap that is showing on TV, now. I have not seen the slightest sign of a moral lesson on Billy and Mandy.

Also, saying that anime is one of the main reasons that there are going to be millions of dropouts out of high school is the biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard.

(Takes a deep calming breath) I’m sorry. This article has just made me want to pull out my hair in frustration. But I want to hear your opinions on this article. I know I can’t be the only person who thinks this article should be burned.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Anime Destroying American Society . . .

Elon Glucklich eh?
    I'll remember the name.

Oh and before I forget: YouTube - Pokemon Electric Soldier Porygon (Banned)

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Elon Glucklich eh?
    I'll remember the name.

Oh and before I forget: YouTube - Pokemon Electric Soldier Porygon (Banned)
    Well, you learn something everyday.

Even so, blaming anime as something that is destroying American society is so crazy to me. I have watched anime since I was in second grade and I haven’t had a single thought of dropping school. I will admit I have gotten headaches from watching too much anime via computer but I’m not going to be so immature and blame it on anime. It was my fault for staying on the computer too long.

Otaku katsoyori33 is off to a good start katsoyori33's Avatar
    Thanks

It reminds me of how politicians are saying that games r evil.yeah right.they are just like movies,there are good games and there are bad games.there is a difference between rated G and rated R.there is difference between rated E for everybody and rated M for mature audiences.

Meow. :3

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

If our "collective moral fiber" can be so easily eroded by a few animated shows, there wasn't much hope for America to begin with.

This seems to be nothing more than another thinly veiled racist rant (although the author would like us to believe he is not) disguised as concern about children and society. Clearly Mr. or Ms. Glucklich doesn't realize that anime in America didn't begin with "Dragonball Z"; that it's been around for quite some time and those of us who have been watching it religiously since childhood are not high school dropouts, derelicts, or otherwise a drain on society. And he also forgets that many American cartoons, now and in the past, are modeled from Japanese animation and storytelling.

The author also states that "cartoons play a significant role in preparing us for the world...instilling the kids who watch them with certain values and life lessons." A lovely thought, but not true. Even the innocuous, sugar coated "Rugrats" that he/she is so fond of is merely a tool for profit, through advertising and merchandising. Without parents guiding their children's thoughts on life and morality in the right direction, that "30 minute babysitter" is doing nothing more than grooming a new group of consumers. Let's go back further than the early 90's for examples of American cartoons...what "values and life lessons" did Looney Toons teach us? None that I recall, except that rabbits are tricky. "Tom and Jerry" was incredibly violent (even with a cat and mouse) and provided nothing but mindless entertainment, but a generation of serial killers didn't arise because of it.

Here's a simple suggestion, that will ensure that those horrible Japanese cartoons don't ruin the lives of our precious American children: If you don't like what your children are watching, don't let them watch it. Don't let the television be the babysitter, and when you do let them watch a program, discuss what they've seen and make sure they understand the difference between television and reality. This should be happening regardless of what the kids are watching or what country it came from.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku Tetsanosuke Kirikami is off to a good start Tetsanosuke Kirikami's Avatar
    Thanks

I read that and started to wonder...

Are selflessness and the difference between right and wrong, 'supposed goods and evils' and taking the right action from your mind and heart not good lessons?

Is the lesson of sympathetic listening not good?

This guy is nuts, I found more moral lessons in DBZ then in Looney Toons, not saying they are bad but still.

FruitsBasket, displaying the importance and realities of caring for others.

That article is just.. BLASPHEMY!!!

Lol

"Walk in with Reason, and leave with Passion."

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Before I go any further, I should state the following: No matter who you are - whether you're black, white, Asian, Latino, even Canadian - I don't judge you by the color of your skin.
    When the hell did Canadians become a race? I'm Canadian, my skin must be pure white with red maple leafs all over.

Good bloody lord this guy's an idiot.
    Last edited by aceman67; Dec 01, 2007 at 03:25 PM.

Otaku Kairu is off to a good start Kairu's Avatar
    Thanks

I have tried to see this article from the author's perspective, but I fail to view past its stupidity.

You would have to be a fool to think that Pokemon encouraged the capturing or wild animals to fight them in battles. I saw it as a show that showed a caring compassion for your friends and pets. The opening of the show featured Ash hugging his Pokemon and caring for their safety. In no way did I see that as him maliciously battling them to see their bloodshed and carnage O_o.

In fact what did American cartoons teach? Rugrats for example showed how irresponsible parents were. How the babies simply ran about on their own intuition getting in all sorts of trouble. If Tom and Jerry taught me anything it was beat the snot of the poor house cat who was doing his "job" of keeping mouses out. (Which was something I did not retain as a life moral) That poor cat got abused every episode, it is ridiculous.

Do not mistake me for someone who does not see past Anime. But there is something you must realize. Anime does not ruin lives, or demoralize a culture. It is a 30 min window in life to view something else besides the crap going on in reality.

*sigh* Time to calm myself down again. XD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast