+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anime History: Dragon Ball

Admin Cowboy Bebop is off to a good start Cowboy Bebop's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime History: Dragon Ball

In light of the passing of the AO torch, I thought a little anime history to celebrate the name of our beloved admin Dragon Ball would be an appropriate fit.

Did you know that Dragon Ball (the anime) premiered in February of 1986?

Dragon Ball was and is the first part of the anime based on the Dragon Ball manga written by Akira Toriyama. Dragon Ball magna used to be published in Japan in the Weekly Shonen Jump manga anthology comic. The first issue of the magna was published by Akira Toriyama at the end of 1984 and was thereafter published weekly for 11 straight years. Dragon Ball was such a huge success that the second (and bigger) part of the 2-part manga series was created (Dragon Ball Z).

Feel free to post your own little tidbits about the anime or magna Dragon Ball. I find it fitting that our former owner shares the name of such a successful anime and magna.

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anime History: Dragon Ball

Dragon ball z the series is one of the best anime ever, with more then 10 movies and a wide of successfull game on most/all consloe (not sure if on all) we gonna miss dragon ball (Administrator)
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cantsenditback For This Useful Post:

Jokerman (Mar 30, 2008), kurapika (Apr 03, 2008)

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice idea man but this really isnt a announcement

--Moving

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

I hear Dragon Ball is going to have a live-action film. Will be released on April 8, 2009, for now.

Notice how the movie title is Dragonball instead of Dragon Ball.

I'm a little afraid of how the movie will turn out, but at least the guy playing Lord Piccolo is a fan of the series.
    Last edited by abby724; Mar 29, 2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Little Italics problem fixed.
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Admin Cowboy Bebop is off to a good start Cowboy Bebop's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea, I had heard a bit about there being a movie in the works. I must admit that I am a bit skeptical since it is a Fox production, but we shall see. At the very least it will give me something to spend a few hours doing.

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Dragon Ball... It's a series also that sticks in my mind, partially because of the jokes played by the names. Vegeta comes from "vegetable", doesn't it? And then there's Bibidi, Babidi, and Majin-Buu... A reference to that song in Disney's Cinderella movie.
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by abby724 View Post
    Dragon Ball... It's a series also that sticks in my mind, partially because of the jokes played by the names. Vegeta comes from "vegetable", doesn't it? And then there's Bibidi, Babidi, and Majin-Buu... A reference to that song in Disney's Cinderella movie.
    And thats not all, there's

Freezia (Japanese pronunciation of Freezer)
    Nappa (The name of the vegetable known in the US as Chinese Cabbage)
    Gohan (Japanese word for 'rice' or 'food')
    Commander Ginyu of the Ginyu Force (Ginyu is the Japanese word for 'Milk')
    Emperor Pilaf (named after Turkish meat and rice dish...)
    Piccolo (as the small flute musical instrument...)

Though some names didn't survive the English dub translations...

Bulma (original Japanese is Bluma, which is the Japanese pronunciation for 'Bloomers', and as the rest of the pun goes, is the daughter of Dr Briefs and has boy named Trunks, and in the original Japanese, a daughter name Bra...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LenMiyata For This Useful Post:

Jokerman (Mar 30, 2008)

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Though some names didn't survive the English dub translations...

Bulma (original Japanese is Bluma, which is the Japanese pronunciation for 'Bloomers', and as the rest of the pun goes, is the daughter of Dr Briefs and has boy named Trunks, and in the original Japanese, a daughter name Bra...)
    And if I remember correctly, Hercule was Mr. Satan prior to translation into English. Wonder why that didn't survive the dub?

From List of Earthlings in Dragon Ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    His name in the original Japanese version media is Mister Satan. It was changed to Hercule in the TV version of FUNimation's English dub and Viz Media English version of the manga, however he retains his name "Mister Satan" in the uncut English Dub on the DVDs. In the U.S. edition of Shonen Jump it is explained that Hercule is the real name of the character while Mr. Satan was his stage name though no such explanation was present in the original. This change is due to Judeo-Christian references being removed for the sensitivities of Western audiences when anime is edited for American television.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast