Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: anime in the military

Otaku mechataku may be famous one day mechataku may be famous one day mechataku's Avatar
    Thanks

anime in the military

i don't know if this would go here or in debate/discuss, so i'll put it here.

ok, so me and a "friend" got into an argument over the fact that i am down to the core otaku, and i am going into the military. she believes that i will have a VERY hard time in the military because of it. so, here comes my question: is anyone in the military, or know someone who is in the military, that is very otaku?

P.S. a little about me, as the name implies, i love mecha. since im gonna be a mechanic when i go in, it doesn't seem that bad, since i DO love the veritechs from macross

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: anime in the military

Quote Originally Posted by mechataku View Post
    i don't know if this would go here or in debate/discuss, so i'll put it here.

ok, so me and a "friend" got into an argument over the fact that i am down to the core otaku, and i am going into the military. she believes that i will have a VERY hard time in the military because of it. so, here comes my question: is anyone in the military, or know someone who is in the military, that is very otaku?

P.S. a little about me, as the name implies, i love mecha. since im gonna be a mechanic when i go in, it doesn't seem that bad, since i DO love the veritechs from macross
    It won't be a problem. Certainly if you're a mechanic.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

How does loving anime have a negative effect on your career?

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

What does BEING an otaku have to do with going into the military? Your hobby/interest doesnt play a major role into your entry into a military branch.

...although being IN the military might effect your otaku life for better or worse, depending on what you're in for. Who knows though? If you're lucky you'll get stationed in Japan. ^^ Also some shops located in the bases carry anime (atleast the ones I've been to)

Anyways, good luck!! (^^)d
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Newbie MagiPink is off to a good start MagiPink's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: anime in the military

Quote Originally Posted by Shinku no kage View Post
    What does BEING an otaku have to do with going into the military? Your hobby/interest doesnt play a major role into your entry into a military branch.

...although being IN the military might effect your otaku life for better or worse, depending on what you're in for. Who knows though? If you're lucky you'll get stationed in Japan. ^^ Also some shops located in the bases carry anime (atleast the ones I've been to)

Anyways, good luck!! (^^)d
    I have 1st hand experience in this. I am a hard-core otaku, and am a member of the US Navy, currently stationed in Kuwait. I didn't even start liking anime until AFTER I joined, and that was back in 1999.

Even out here, there IS an Anime Club. Anime is indeed sold in the Exchanges(Stores) here and in the States. In fact, that is where alot of my Anime collection came from. And when I was on the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71), they sold anime in the ship's store as well. Of course, the selection isn't that of a normal store, but they DO have it!

I have had no problem being an Otaku in the Military. I enjoy it when other co-workers ask me what I'm watching/listening to, and explaining to them about anime and sentai. And I drive them nuts when I start singing in Japanese as well. Practically drives them out of the room. Although I did have one guy say this morning(my time) that when we get back to the states, I should sing in Japanese for them since I have 'a voice like an angel'. His words, not mine.

I love being a Navy Otaku!!!
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy EVERY second of it!!!

Otaku mechataku may be famous one day mechataku may be famous one day mechataku's Avatar
    Thanks

that's what i thought was the case. i have heard about a lot of otaku in the military, but i didn't want to argue to my friend if i didn't have anything to back it up. my friend likes anime, but she seems to be the type who would be worried it would affect her life. well, i guess she was also concerned about the fact that i am HARDCORE otaku. pretty much everything she thinks i talk about somehow ties into an anime somehow. i will admit, i do find it hard to talk about things other than anime, but i can go a conversation without bringing the subject up.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

When My dad was stationed in CFB Shilo (Home of the 1RCHA and 2PPCLI, google them if you want to know more), the anime club there was pretty active, and quite a number of them were adults (Most from my dad's unit, 731 Signal Sqn.).

Your personal hobbies and interests cannot have an effect on your career, to do so is discrimination. The only time the military can say anything is when your hobbies start interfering with your job.

Otaku animemeg may be famous one day animemeg may be famous one day animemeg's Avatar
    Thanks

I work at a video game store in a big military town. I would say more then half of my customers are from some branch of the armed forces...and not only that but a lot of them are just plain nerds. It's not just games, it's games, anime, tech, sci-fi, every sterotype you can think of abou the geeks in high school they are into it.
    Then there are those that you are CONVINCED just play a few games, that walk in to get something like .hack because they love the series.
    There are all types of people in every situation, you can't say that all of the military is one way...It just doesn't work like that.
    I think the fact that you are in the military during such a hard conflict will bind you better then common intrests ever could.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast