+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anime OSTs

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime OSTs

Haven't seen much on the topic of anime OSTs; pretty surprising considering that music plays a large role in almost all anime.

I started watching Cowboy Bebop after the opening theme caught my interest, but it was "Canta per Me" from Noir that really drew me into anime music. I tracked down a few songs from the series and eventually purchased the first OST, and since then I've tirelessly added new and wonderful music to my OST collection.

The works of Yoko Kanno (CB, Wolf's Rain, GITS, Macross) and Yuki Kajiura (Noir, Mai-HIME, .hack//sign) are among the very best. Kanno has a perfect ear for sweeping orchestrals and more contemporary pieces; Kajiura has a funky style that frequently mixes synthesizers, percussion, and strings.

So...who else loves anime OSTs? Describe your favorite anime composers' style and best works, or why some OSTs tend to work better than others, either with their respective series or just as standalone albums...anything meaningful that relates to the subject. I won't know what else to add to my collection if you don't give me details!!
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anime OSTs

Heheh, what really got me into OSTs was the opening song from DBZ, you know the one with teh catchy 'duh duh deh duh duuuh duh, duh duh duuh duh.'.., (well the guitar riff).
    maturing now..

Yuko Kano's OS' from GITS were really what got me into them. like "Inner Universe' and 'rise. Here singing on this series was superb. loveed the opera accents in her voice.

A classic one would have to be more like the imfamous 'Shell' from Witch Hunter Robin. simply good musically wise, with nice vocal rythms :P

And finally 'Aozora no namida' from Blood+

All these ost's now provide me with nostalgic feelings, which always make me remind myself of the good ol' days just years back. XD

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

The GITS soundtracks are my absolute favorites, definitely on par with the CB soundtracks (although they're almost incomparable; the style and overall feel is completely different from one to the other). Only Kanno could find such a great balance of rock, classical, and jazz all on the same album, not to mention all her quirky, undefinable pieces (lots of these on the Earth Girl Arjuna OSTs).
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

ha,don't get me wrong the OSTs for Shinichiro Watanabe's classic series like CowboyBebop and SamuraiChamploo are what they are, classic. even legendary.
    In CB, i loved all the jazz. Never again will you see an anime with such a variety of excellent music genre's. even through the anime, the bg music was by far the best work also. In SC, its was all about oldschool, that right there says it all.

Thanks

I'm not too big into hip-hop, but Samurai Champloo definitely holds its own in the music arena, as the music worked perfectly with the series. I think a big part of this is just originality...how many samurai-based series pick rap and hip-hop over classical or orchestrals or even rock?
    CB will always have a set of the greatest OSTs of all time, and once again, the music flowed well with the series. Even when genre-jumping, Kanno managed an amazing OST with Cowboy Bebop. But the difference between CB and GITS, in my opinion, is that Kanno never strays far from her jazz/blues base in CB, whereas the songs on the GITS soundtracks are all over the map.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku Shermanator may be famous one day Shermanator may be famous one day
    Thanks

there are lots of great music in anime...cowboy bebop is good...samurai champloo is good too but not what im used to in anime....GITS is great too...but the music i really like for now it the music from Prince of Tennis i mean i love almost every song..and the only reason i say almost is i havent heard all of em yet! = P

In every world, the God’s always make the rules. You will fall before my fake rules, and for the sin of going against the new world’s God, die.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Any anime OST is good as long as Kanno Yoko is behind it. I swear. All of you who've listened to the soundtracks of Cowboy Bebop, Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna, Escaflowne, Macross... you can't deny her greatness. It's great to know that other people find her music as breathtaking as I do. *waves to gren* She is the best there is. Kajiura Yuki is not bad, but less versatile than Kanno. You can just listen to a song and go, "Ah, Kajiura Yuki!" straightaway, because all her songs have the same sound to them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    Any anime OST is good as long as Kanno Yoko is behind it. I swear. All of you who've listened to the soundtracks of Cowboy Bebop, Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna, Escaflowne, Macross... you can't deny her greatness. It's great to know that other people find her music as breathtaking as I do. *waves to gren* She is the best there is.
    *waves back*
    I suspect there are more than a few Yoko Kanno fans here. I notice her name come up every now and then in someone's post. It would be impossible to have a conversation about OSTs without mentioning her, even if it's just a reference to the large number of them she's had a hand in. And she is incredibly versatile--her rock and jazz pieces are as memorable and lovely as her orchestrals. In fact, I used a track from "Wolf's Rain" in my wedding; initially I got a lot of looks when I said it was from an anime, but afterwards, nearly everyone mentioned what a beautiful and fitting song it was.

Kajiura Yuki is not bad, but less versatile than Kanno. You can just listen to a song and go, "Ah, Kajiura Yuki!" straightaway, because all her songs have the same sound to them.
    Sad but true, and I say that as someone who does enjoy Kajiura's work. Her style is definitely her own, and worked well for her on OSTs for Noir, Le Portrait de Petite Cossette and Mai-Hime, but it's hard to get through an entire album of hers without feeling like you've heard most of the songs on a completely unrelated OST. For instance, I know some people rave about the Tsubasa Chronicles and .hack//SIGN OSTs, but to me they sound exactly the same, and only differ from the Mai-Hime OSTs by not having even one really notable track.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast