+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anime Publications

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime Publications

With Newtype USA kicking the bucket Newtype USA to Cease Publication - Anime News Network (soon to be replaced...most likely with an equally financially draining monstrosity) I started thinking about the countless mags I’ve wasted my hard earned coin on throughout my life. Granted Newtype has been a treasure trove of pretty scan material for the walling community over its 5+ yr stint, I even subscribed in its early days, but substance and direction wise its been lacking for awhile and I’m not surprised its deceased. Although I’ve been out of the loop for a couple years not buying them so someone correct me if I’m wrong.

So whats out there? Anime Insider, Protoculture Addicts, Otaku USA, Megami, Hobby Japan, Asuka, Shojo Beat, Shonen Jump…..

What’s been your experience with anime magazines? Do you subscribe? Are you devoted to a particular magazine/editor? I’d like to know about some more obscure and interesting publications.

Does the new breed of anime fan even care about print magazines anymore?

I tend to need a break from the online variety. Nothing like stretching out and flipping through pages once in awhile.

Insightful comments please….with sugar on top.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Anime Publications

I too prefer magazines when available but since we've never had an anime/manga magazine out here I won't miss it either. For an anime/manga mag I wouldn't actually need much anyway. Just a list of the new stuff being released with an image or two and a short description would be enough for me.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

It sucks to hear Newtype is discontinuing. I've been a fan of that mag for ages now! But, there are replacements. I have TONS of magazines from Japan--IN Japanese writing, so I can't read most of it--like, Young Weekly (or was it the other way around), and Shonen Weekly. I've also been reading a lot of Shonen Jump and bits and pieces of Shoujo Beat--which saves me some money considering a Newtype subscription costs an arm and a leg--so, I'm not too worried about finding new reading sources, BUT Newtype has been around about as long as I've had otaku friends other than myself, LOL.

About the new breed of anime fan: We're talkin' about kids (I'm guessing you're my age approximately) who are about ten years our junior. Half those kids don't even read the 'Yu-Gi-Oh!' manual before they play! They just play how they see fit, going by the rules of the anime (which change like the wind). If I ask a kid around here about Shonen Jump, they automatically think I'm getting ready to ask about an anime series, screw the mag; pretty much.

I personally like the magazines and think they're important to the otaku community. Because, I don't like hearnig about new anime series or seasons by word of mouth; unless it comes from a VERY relaible source (IE: Miyata-san). And if I had a scanner, mags come in handy for that as well. All in all, Newtype's discontinuation/transfer--whatever you wanna call it--will probably put a big dent in the informational cycle. Shonen Jump and Shoujo Beat don't provide as much info and I haven't even come across any other mags around here, besides those two and Newtype.

Newbie squidie72 is off to a good start squidie72's Avatar
    Thanks

We read Shojo Beat and Shonen Jump in this house. We thought about Otaku USA the other day, but at $10.00 for something pretty small, we passed.

We were getting them at Walmart, and never had a problem finding them. We have noticed that they are getting hard to find. Seems they are selling out right away, and we end up going to another store to find them. My sib has been talking about subscribing to them.

We do enjoy reading them. I wish they had better "stories" running in Shonen Jump. We only read it for Bleach and Naruto. The rest we can live without.

I stick to S.B. and S.J. I don't really buy the manga in book form. I leave that to my ubergeek sib.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Man this had brought back a lot of memories. My first magazine was Animerica. For those of you who don't know, Animerica was made by VIZ and their editing offices were based in my hometown of San Francisco. Back then they were the best thing around for me, at only $5 first at black and white and later on went to color for still $5.

After a year or two, I got more money so I moved on up to NewType for their posters and free dvds. Honestly NewType was not the same, it was not really a magazine but more like a book of scans.

At this point of my life, I don't really need to buy magazines anymore. I got the internet and you folks for opinion.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

Nnnnooooooo!!!! NewTypeUSA was my #1 source of anime that wasnt on the internet!! I've been loyal to the magazine since Feb '03. Its quite a shame to see it go. *sigh* Now I'll have to stick to the few NewType (the original JP issues) that comes in at my local shop...2,3 months after the JP publication. Aaagggh, its quite a shame to see it go. I have no intentions of purchasing the US Shonen JUMP and the only other anime related publication out here is Otaku USA and I honestly dislike it. The first issue I've read of it had numerous spelling errors and information on anime that was fairly far off of the truth. (I dont know if it was just that one unfortunate issue or if all of them are like that but I havent picked any of it up since) There arent any other anime publications in stores out here so...*sigh* a real shame that NewTypeUSA is going.

~Thank you for the good years NewTypeUSA
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

That's to bad on the NewType. It was really the only one that I bought. But I will atleast give the new one that they come out with a shot. But I have to say that if it dosen't atleast equal NewType with the info on new stuff coming out, that that will probably be the end of my magazine buying. I'll just count on the net and here for the rest of my anime info that I need. Though if I'm really lost on things I might get Otaku USA again. But I have to agree with Shinku on the quality of the magazine. It was really lacking along side of Newtype. I am sorry to see NewType go, it was a great magazine.

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Man this had brought back a lot of memories. My first magazine was Animerica. For those of you who don't know, Animerica was made by VIZ and their editing offices were based in my hometown of San Francisco. Back then they were the best thing around for me, at only $5 first at black and white and later on went to color for still $5.

After a year or two, I got more money so I moved on up to NewType for their posters and free dvds. Honestly NewType was not the same, it was not really a magazine but more like a book of scans.

At this point of my life, I don't really need to buy magazines anymore. I got the internet and you folks for opinion.
    Whoa flashback. Forgot about Animerica. They still produce a crappy handout for Best Buy customers. But yeah one of the pioneer mags here in the US.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast