Re: Anime Recommendations
Why you should watch it:
From Getbackers (TV) - Anime News Network
Ban Mido and Ginji Amano are a recovery duo infamously known as "GetBackers." Ban possesses two special powers: the "Snake Bite" (his hands have a gripping power of 200kg) and the "Evil Eye" (anyone who looks into his eyes will be locked into a powerful and nightmarish hallucination). Ginji, on the other hand, has the ability to generate thousands of volts of electricity from his body. Together, they run a freelance business of recovering anything lost or stolen from a client - and they claim a 100% success rate at their job.
GetBackers is one of those anime that start off somewhat mundane and formulaic; the first few episodes are pretty much the same--someone loses something, the guys bumble their way through getting it back, and after paying for collateral damage, towing bills, and the restaurant tab, end up making no money at all. It fully redeems itself further in, though, by having such dynamic characters and a dramatic backstory that unfolds behind the comedy of Ban and Ginji's interactions with each other, their cohorts, and clients. I found the personalities of and relationship between Ban and Ginji to be very reminiscent of Vash and Wolfwood of Trigun; Ban has a somewhat pessimistic and sarcastic nature similar to Wolfwood, and Ginji, like Vash, is good-natured and sweet but trying his best to suppress a darker side while avoiding the ghosts of his pasts. There's a pretty strong supporting cast as well, and even seemingly minor characters play important roles as the story unravels.
And let's not forget the action...Ban and Ginji may seem like a couple of simpletons when things are calm, but when backed into a corner, both are not only powerful, but also quite good at outsmarting their enemies, resulting in some quality fight scenes and more than a few laughs. 49 episodes gives the anime the bonus of taking its time and letting things develop, but without too much unnecessary filler. If you're into the buddy comedy/action packed type anime, this is definitely a must-see.
Re: Anime Recommendations
I'm going to open this thread to members, but only by way of PM. If you have a recommendation, you can PM it to me in the same format as the posts in this thread, and I will post it here (giving you due credit, of course).
A Few Things to Note:
- Give your message the subject of "Rec: (Title of anime)"
- No more than three recommendations in a single PM, and no more than 3 PMs per member per day.
- Your recommendations should address the requests in the Anime Request thread, but if you have one you really enjoyed and feel the need to mention, I'll allow it.
- If necessary, I'll edit your post for grammar and spelling, but if it's completely incoherent I won't bother with it and it won't be posted.
- Check this thread before you PM me to make sure you aren't giving a recommendation that's already been given. Repeats will not be posted, no matter how well-written they are.
- If your recommendations do not follow the format EXACTLY as it appears in this thread, they won't be posted.