+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anime Soundtracks

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Anime Soundtracks

So here's something I noticed. Aside from the intro and credits, almost every anime I've heard has a classical or disco (synth and horns) soundtrack. Why no other music? Or are there other music genres making their way into anime soundtracks?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anime Soundtracks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Its mostly because of the expense... A composer with a room full of MIDI instruments is a lot less expensive then a room full of professional musicians... There are some exceptions, such as the 'Macross' series (battling Mechas to the sound of Rock Music), 'Bubblegum Crisis' (battling android monsters to the sound of Rock Music), and 'Princess Nine' (high school girl baseball to the music performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra) come to mind...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

But even with today's tech you can have ONE guy do a rock song all by himself, believe me I've done it. Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra is classical though right?

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

That is one of the many charms of anime I guess. Remember though naruto has featured some rap, remember the theme song alive.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

And for Jazz music, there's 'Gad Guard' and 'Baccano!', as well as 'Cowboy Bebop'

The Official Baccano! Web Site from FUNimation Productions, LTD.

Gad Guard - Anime Website from FUNimation

'Initial D' is famous (or infamous) for it's use of 'Techno Beat' sound track, (and it's lack in the English Dub release...)

and 'Princess Tutu' uses music from classical ballet and other classical works...

'Cardcaptor Sakura' also has a orchestral sound track using the NHK studio orchestra..
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Dec 15, 2009 at 02:13 PM.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

I saw Initial D, but I don't remember the soundtrack... then again I wouldn't doubt that it'd have techie beats.
    Haven't seen cowboy bebop in forever, but I think it has film noir styled music if I remember correctly.

Newbie Skizzit is off to a good start Skizzit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiDude128 View Post
    I saw Initial D, but I don't remember the soundtrack... then again I wouldn't doubt that it'd have techie beats.
    Haven't seen cowboy bebop in forever, but I think it has film noir styled music if I remember correctly.
    Cowboy Bebop is famous for its jazz / rock inspired soundtrack. Yoko Kano is really talented and she crafted a soundtrack that is so good that it almost becomes a character in the anime. It is as important to the story as the animation or the writing, something that is uncommon.

The series director, Shinichiro Watanabe, did something similar with Samurai Champloo this time using hip-hop in place of jazz with similar results. Champloo would not have been nearly as good or unique without that soundtrack.

As for having classical tracks in anime, I do not find that to be the case. Instrumental music for sure, but that is the case in most TV or movies. You will hear a song with words every now and then in movies, but mostly it is instrumental. Same in Anime. In series like Bleach or Gurren Lagann, there are a couple of theme songs that kick in when the action gets going that have words, but mostly it is instrumental.
    Who needs a signature.

+ Reply to Thread