+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: any samurai/kendo/sword fight genre anime to recommend??

Otaku rajendran is off to a good start
    Thanks

any samurai/kendo/sword fight genre anime to recommend??

ok yea basically i created this thread to find out about all the nice *above mentioned* type of anime there is... i just found out that i liked such kinda anime.. -_-"

ok well here's wad i've watched so far:

Bleach
    Samurai 7
    peacemaker
    bamboo blade
    samurai champloo

any others??

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: any samurai/kendo/sword fight genre anime to reccomend??

Grumble Grumble Grumble

The most successful samurai genre Anime series in Japan is still 'Rurouni Kenshin', (plus its prequel/sequel OVA series called 'Samurai X').

The series with the best animated sword fight scenes is the spoof/parody comedy series called 'Jubei-Chan'

Another Shounen Jump based Anime series similar to 'Bleach' but with more comedy is 'Gintama', (where instead of occurring in the After-Life of the Soul Society, it occurs in the distant future where bushido Japan is invaded and controlled not by westerners, but by conquering aliens...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Besides those already mentioned, here are some of those that i've seen so far. There are more samurai/kendo/swordfighting stuff out there but i'm limiting this post to feudal-related titles ONLY.

'Yaiba' is a samurai/comedy anime with a present day setting. With historical reference (mostly with the characters), it offers a decent blend of comedy, action, mythology, a little bit of parody, and the almost ever-present nonsense.

If you like Gonzo, Samuel L. Jackson, and heavily budgeted series then you might like 'Afro Samurai'.

Don't be fooled by the title 'Ninja Scroll', 'Samurai' is written all over it. It offers the usual action and gore mixed with supernatural elements. The main character, Jubei, is modeled after the legendary Yagyu Jubei. You can choose to see the movie, the series, or both.

If you're a fan of the 'Samurai Showdown' games (i know i am) then you might want to check out its anime spinoff.

Samurai aren't proficient with swords alone, you might wanna check out 'Otogi Zoshi' to see what i mean.

'Samurai Deeper Kyo' is the 3rd most popular samurai anime here in my country next only to Rurouni Kenshin and Yaiba. I THINK you're going to like this one.

EDIT: ADD-ONS

I just remembered 'Blade of the Immortal', a friend of mine was a big fan and collector of the manga. An anime series was just released last month, i've read the manga in its entirety but i haven't seen the anime yet.

Newbie KRaZyAmmo may be famous one day KRaZyAmmo may be famous one day
    Thanks

Gintama is a good samurai anime. unless you can go along with the comedy it comes with, you'll be good. and the more you watch, more attach you'll be to it. There are plots in Gintama. You just need to keep an eye on it.

Newbie Lestat Uchiha is off to a good start Lestat Uchiha's Avatar
    Thanks

rerouni kenshin takes the cake for one of the best samurai series, but it is rather long, and can be repetitive.
    bleach is good, i dont know if this one counts but revolutionary girl utena revolves around kendo and fencing, but that was more of a yuri love story, and the plot was confusing. i recommend the movie very much though...that about all i can think of right now..
    Mushroom Cloud Laying MotherFudger

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...Ezekiel 25:17

Newbie Kuinta is off to a good start
    Thanks

I am not an expert with watching a lot of samurai anime, but here goes. Samurai X might be something that might suit your interest if you're into post-Meji Era setting. Samurai Champloo also takes places in ancient Japan, but is more vulgar and for the mature audience. Blade of the Immortal has just been recently released so you might want to look into that. Samurai Deeper Kyo is somewhat okay. Hope this helps.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

And anime which hasn't been mentioned here is Shigurui. Even though it ended completely unfinished (probably suffering from the infamous "just a promo for the manga" syndrome) I still recommend it.

Paper cuts really are the worst pain.

And now I shall amaze you with my secret pantsu viewing ultra slasher ougi!

Otaku rajendran is off to a good start
    Thanks

woa... i didn't know there were soo much anime of such genre... i thought it as a minority!! lawls... ok thx alot guys... i'll check em out... one at a time... oh and i've also bought the DVDs for samurai deeper kyo... hahahaha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast