+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aquarion

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Aquarion

Alright... so Aquarion kind of came and went while I was in Japan. Drowning under the sea of hype that accompanied Gundam Seed Destiny, I developed a vague awareness of the title based on posters, promos and glimpses of it in magazines I bought to read about the Hagaren movie ^^;

The image I've somehow gotten in my head is this: CG robots, naked hunky men with wings who randomly embrace one another and are somehow connected to the aforementioned CG robots and a main robot that reminds me a wee bit of RahXephon. But also somewhere in there are a few Japanese friends of mine saying "oh, yeah. Aquarion. It's pretty good."

After reading that the theme song made it to the top 10 in a major poll of the most memorable anime themes of all time, I looked up the song...

YouTube - Aquarion 1st Opening (non-credit / STEREO)

And wouldn't you know it! I know this song by heart!!! I ocaisionally warble it when drunk!

The only songs I've ever heard played MORE in anime shops are the theme to Fafner and "Hare Hare Yukai". I ~love~ this song! And the opening animation's pretty neat too.

But I hate CG robots And I disapprove of naked hunky men with feathers on principle (I see them as harbringers of low-budget fangirl crap).

So... for the point of the thread:

Has anyone actually seen Aquarion and is it worth renting? In the event that it's not available for rent... might it even be worth *gasp* buying?

Could this be my new Escaflowne? Or is it just another Fafner? -_-;

When the heck did I become such a mech-head? All I watch anymore are giant robot shows!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Aquarion

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Well, the series is good enough for FUNimation to take the risk of licensing it for Region 1.

The Official AQUARION Anime Website From FUNimation

Though this was a surprise license announcement that came out of nowhere
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Sep 19, 2007 at 10:23 AM.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Huum! It reminds me of Sailor Moon somehow. Well, the series looks interesting if it is being subbed i might give it a try. I noticed that one of the chicks looked in so much pain when transforming. (^_^)

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    Huum! It reminds me of Sailor Moon somehow. Well, the series looks interesting if it is being subbed i might give it a try. I noticed that one of the chicks looked in so much pain when transforming. (^_^)
    From my own legwork ~ I'm guessing she's not in pain... apparently when the characters merge their mechs (Voltron-style) they experience some odd sort of orgasm O-o;

Apparently the hunky men with wings hugging each other are the past reincarnation of the boy who eats flowers and bugs (Apollo) and one of the dieties/angels that they're fighting with their happy snap-together machines O-o; They had a thing going on and there's still lingering angst.

There's also a canon lesbian (hooray!) and an incredibly entertaining-sounding soccer player :P

The relationship map on the official site is MIND-BOGGLING... spanning several lifetimes and featuring a lot of love-triangles, squares, and random homosexuality.

example: The main character, Apollo, is the reincarnation of the God Appolonius who was in love with (and practically married to) the Shadow Angel Tohma (who is currently the lover of the Shadow Angel Otoha)... meanwhile there was also a woman with a thing for Appolonius in a past life, Sylvia... and she's got a major problem with Apollo, except she secretly wants to eat flowers with him. Apollo seems to lack ambition beyond breaking and eating things.

If there's manga, I might pick one up today and research further.

So far it's sounding like it might have a lot of potential.

+ Reply to Thread