+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aya Hirano - Overrated?

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Aya Hirano - Overrated?

Um...isnt that Wikipedia page proof enough to show how much she has accomplished? Sure, I'm a Hirano Aya fan so I "may" come off on being of her side and supporting her but really, she's accomplished quite a lot. (atleast in the media world)

In my opinion she's a very talented VA, she does a real good job of portraying a character. The diversity of the personalities that each of her characters have and her ability to act out each and every one of them is something that one can admire. From the bossy and energetic Haruhi to the laid back, lazy otaku Konata she does an excellent job.

*Kinda off topic but I found it funny when she did the Lucky Star episodes in which they referred to either herself and/or her characters. I wonder how she felt about that? Especially the Lucky Star episode in which Konata goes to HER concert...so in a sense she's a fan of herself. LOLS, than theres also the numerous Haruhi refrences...the one that stood out the most is when she had to do her Haruhi voice AS Konata (ep.16 I think?). Yet another reference was when Konata purchased the Character CD of Kuhlua, the role Aya did in Galaxy Angel Rune.

*I just love it when a VA's character has some type of connection with the other characters they've done.

As in response to tsurara-san's post: She's not the FIRST VA to be young and pretty. Theres been quite a few of them in the last few years. (atleast in my opinion)

uuummmm, I guess I take that back, I did a quick search on Wiki and found out that most of my favorite VAs were actually in their 30's and up!! (They sure as hell dont really look it) About the only one left that isnt in her 30's was Sawashiro Miyuki. (._.) It really surprised me when I found out that Tamura Yukari and Momoi Haruko was in their 30's.
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shinku no kage View Post
    As in response to tsurara-san's post: She's not the FIRST VA to be young and pretty. Theres been quite a few of them in the last few years. (atleast in my opinion)
    I suppose it's a matter of opinion, in the end. But a majority of seiyuu seem to become seiyuu because they are not attractive enough to be actual actors, actresses or idols.

With a handful of idol/singer-first-->seiyuu second exceptions: most of the seiyuu magazines are full of heavily airbrushed photos of people who are normal-looking at best and Halloween-pumpkin toothed gargoyles at worst.

ANYONE who thinks Koyasu Takehito is a studmuffin needs an eye-exam.

As for accomplishments... I'm not sure being prolific is enough to be automatically deemed "talented" or "deserving". Uwe Boll is also prolific. His wikipedia article might give some the impression that he is an actual filmmaker. But we all know better.

Not to s**t on Aya, I think she's as good a seiyuu as anyone else out there now: but I don't really see voice-acting, singing in-character with heavy digital help, being an idol, or being pretty as something requiring a great deal of talent. SOME, yes. Is she a genius: no. Is she incredibly popular, in part, because she is pretty and young: ABSOLUTELY.

If 30 year-old women did -exactly- what Morning Musume does: no one would care. If maids served tea without their helium voices and magic spells: no one would care. If seiyuu are older people with bad teeth and only passable looks: they don't get as popular as Aya Hirano-- in spite of being just as talented, having just as many roles and quite a bit more experience.

It's part of the otaku obsession with moe.

Newbie RacerOtaku may be famous one day RacerOtaku may be famous one day RacerOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=tsurara;571563] you've got a bunch of horny attic-monkeys who can't keep from drooling at her pictures.QUOTE]

Horny attic monkeys! I haven't heard anything that funny in a while. I'm going to have to remember that one! Thanks!

"I look forward to continued immaturity followed by death" - Dave Barry
    "There's no such thing as too much power, just too little traction" - Me
    "I love sleep. It's the one place I'm safe from life and all the saddness it brings."

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I suppose it's a matter of opinion, in the end. But a majority of seiyuu seem to become seiyuu because they are not attractive enough to be actual actors, actresses or idols.

With a handful of idol/singer-first-->seiyuu second exceptions: most of the seiyuu magazines are full of heavily airbrushed photos of people who are normal-looking at best and Halloween-pumpkin toothed gargoyles at worst.

ANYONE who thinks Koyasu Takehito is a studmuffin needs an eye-exam.

As for accomplishments... I'm not sure being prolific is enough to be automatically deemed "talented" or "deserving". Uwe Boll is also prolific. His wikipedia article might give some the impression that he is an actual filmmaker. But we all know better.

Not to s**t on Aya, I think she's as good a seiyuu as anyone else out there now: but I don't really see voice-acting, singing in-character with heavy digital help, being an idol, or being pretty as something requiring a great deal of talent. SOME, yes. Is she a genius: no. Is she incredibly popular, in part, because she is pretty and young: ABSOLUTELY.

If 30 year-old women did -exactly- what Morning Musume does: no one would care. If maids served tea without their helium voices and magic spells: no one would care. If seiyuu are older people with bad teeth and only passable looks: they don't get as popular as Aya Hirano-- in spite of being just as talented, having just as many roles and quite a bit more experience.

It's part of the otaku obsession with moe.
    Tsurara's got a point there. Younger, attractive people usually fill the slots of employment in the entertainment world, simply because they're what the public eye wants to see (or rather what the otaku wants to see). I don't even think it's really about the otaku obsession with moe.

People who aren't otaku sit around and say things like, "If I was five/ten years younger," all the time. I think it's just what society wants to see. Look at the American "Idols". I bet if N'Sync had just came out, and they were like 45-50, but still had the same "singing skill" , they wouldn't get HALF the attention they did when they were popular (if you wanna call them that). Who would want to see an old, grey Justin Timberlake in concert?

So, I get what Tsurara's trying to say. With that point taken, it is safe to say that maybe Aya Hirano IS just slightly overrated. (Yeah, I'm eating my previous words, aren't I?)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2