Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Berserk

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Berserk

Berserk is the dark and violent tale of a massive, tormented warrior and his role in another man's psychotically ambitious plans to rule the world.

Director: Naohito Takahashi
    Studio: OLM
    US release: Media Blasters
    Episodes: 25

Set in medieval times, Berserk focuses on the relationships between the characters, their inability to deal with their emotions, and the determination to succeed, no matter what. The result is a graphically violent, somewhat depressing anime that I couldn't take my eyes off of. There's plenty of action (all though most if not all of the fight scenes are shown in stills at climatic moments), and the main characters, while not all likeable, are shown as real people whom one can have empathy for.

Major characters

Guts
    Our (tragic) hero and main character, Guts wanders the countryside as an gigantic, angry loner wielding with ease a sword bigger than himself. He suffered a horrible childhood, being raised and taught to fight by a man who seemed to hate Gut's very existence. He joins the Band of the Hawk after he cannot defeat Griffith in a sword fight, and eventually finds himself drawn in by Griffith's charm. Guts is at first determined to see Griffith's ambition fulfilled, but later decides to leave the Band of the Hawk, setting in motion a chain of events that ends in disaster.

Griffith
    With his flowing white hair and piercing eyes, Griffith is both handsome and charismatic; his men (and woman) are more than willing to face death for him. He is the leader of the Band of the Hawk, a mercenary group renowned for their unmatched skills and unquestioning loyalty. Griffith is not given to displays of emotion, and approaches most situations in a calm, calculating manner. He believes a man is no more than his ambition, and eventually that anything and everything must be sacrificed to achieve his goal. Griffith wears an odd and very ugly pendant around his neck, and senses that it is vital to the success of his plans, although he isn't sure why.

Casca
    Below only Guts and Griffith in terms of fighting skill, Casca is the only female mercenary in the Band of the Hawk, and second-in-command until Guts shows up. Pretty and delicate-looking, Casca is often able to gain the upper hand on her enemies because they don't take her seriously. She is infatuated with Griffith, even though she knows everything takes a backseat to his plans. The series does a great job with Casca; although she is a warrior, she remains a woman and faces the same emotional and physical problems that any other woman would deal with.

(Yes, there are other characters worthy of mention, but I'd be here all night if I went through them all. I'm just sticking with the very important ones here.)

To tell you any more of the story would ruin all the fun suprises for you, so I'll end with this: Berserk is definitely not for the faint of heart (or anyone under 16, as the rating clearly implies), but it's by far one of the best anime out there. In fact, I only have one complaint about the series, and anyone who's seen it would agree. I won't spoil it, but it has to do with the "last" episode...
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Berserk

I've heard the anime doesnt go into much detail as the anime. I own the first volume (dvd), but I've seen up to volume 6. I want to read the manga before I watch anymore.

Have you read the manga, gren? Because I hear it's completely worse than the anime.
    Seduced by Flesh

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kasai View Post
    I've heard the anime doesnt go into much detail as the anime. I own the first volume (dvd), but I've seen up to volume 6. I want to read the manga before I watch anymore.

Have you read the manga, gren? Because I hear it's completely worse than the anime.
    There are only 6 discs, so you've seen them all. That is my major complaint...
    From what I've heard, the anime follows the manga to a point, skips some stuff, then ends. I kind of want to read the manga to get the missing pieces, but that would be the final, irreversible step into complete anime obssession. Just watching the anime and leaving it at that helps me pretend I'm not a full-blown mega-nerd.
    Last edited by gren; Jan 17, 2007 at 06:16 PM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Oops, by worse I mean that's darker and more intended for the adult audience. And go on, join the midless legions of otakus in our world. ^-^
    Seduced by Flesh

Thanks

In that case, yes, I've also heard the manga is even more graphic than the anime. And don't worry, I won't be able to hold on to my illusions of non-obssession much longer if I stay here
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Newbie Solarsoldier001 is off to a good start Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree, the show was very good, that is the only reason why I've kept this series in my collection. But the ending for me was a great disappointment, it could have been so much better or at least they could have finished it. I think the only way to find out what happens is to read the manga. But generally the show does give a great story line.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsoldier001 View Post
    But the ending for me was a great disappointment, it could have been so much better or at least they could have finished it.
    And there it is, people, the big spoiler...the anime doesn't actually end. It was like someone accidently forgot to release the rest of the series; my understanding is that the studio originally planned for 26 episodes (which still wouldn't have made it all the way through the story), but ran into financial problems and cut it short at 25, with no plans to continue. Seems like by now another company could have picked it up and finished out the story.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Montclair, NJ (School), Severn, MD (Home)
    Thanks

I believe the Berserk manga is still growing, so even if they were going to continue to build the show, they can't really finish it.

Honestly, I am too lazy to read manga, which is why I buy DVDs, and as such, I was VERY frustrated with Berserk for a while

You could say we had a bad break up.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast