+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Code Geass - Socially Relevant Mecha Anime?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Code Geass - Socially Relevant Mecha Anime?

I'm sick with the flu and have rented "Code Geass" I-IV to pass the day.

I was expecting a generic, slightly-girlier Gundam. But was surprised to find it twisty, turny and oddly reminiscent of actual world affairs. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually has something to say... even if it doesn't, it makes for an engaging setting.

Let me clarify that I actually like Gundam. But I DISLIKE how politically/socially-relevant it tries to be while being painfully generic and hypocritical. ie. in spite of promoting global cooperation: the main character is ALWAYS some Japanese messiah figure fighting on the side of right; while war is depicted as devistating and deplorabe -- it's still a show to excite boys about warfare and send them to the stores to buy models of giant war machines; Gundam is always ~just~ far enough in the future to feel as though it's impossible, unreachable and completely apart from us. Gundam's preachy without being particularly realistic. And I suppose that's part of it's retro, bombastic, Space-Opera charm.

Meanwhile, in only one episode of Code Geass: England (The Empire of Britannia) has taken over/occupied Japan and divided the city into zones for English and Japanese. The Japanese live in slums while the English live in high-end areas. As a result, the Japanese aren't particularly happy and have taken to terrorism and guerilla warfare -- including setting off a bomb in the Osaka twin towers (very 9-11 imagery). Meanwhile, seeking revenge for these terrorist acts (including suicide bombings) and hoping to "weed out" terrorists: Brittania mobilizes it's army against it's own Japanese citizens and under corrupt military leadership, begins to execute civilians (including families and crying babies). MOST people seem to be on neither "side" of the conflict... just trapped by the reality of it.

Most of the mechs have a clunky, heavy-machinery feel... with visable power chords, cables and machinery. They seem much more "weapons" than "toys"...

I'm sure when the main characters get their own units, that will probably change and folks will be zipping around space on pink-glitter trails again >_<; But for now-- the series has a nice "near future" feel to it: and the engineering of a Palestine/Israel conflict between the two largest consumers of this sort of animation (Western caucasians and the Japanese) makes that conflict a bit more sensical (or senseless) by proxy.

...and for once: the (anti)hero is a Westerner!

I think I'm going to like this more than I thought I would!

Code Geass op 1
    and just because it's awesome...

So if you've seen Code Geass -- let's talk about it!
    If you haven't: I hear it will be running on Cartoon Network this Spring.

Oh... and Lelouch's first "evil eye" scene: ... I wasn't expecting that. But it was an amazing way to end a first episode with a bang. (And since the first Japanese-release DVD only HAS one episode-- a great way to sell someone a 2nd DVD :P )
    Last edited by tsurara; Jan 20, 2008 at 12:29 AM.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Code Geass - Socially Relevant Mecha Anime?

Grumble Grumble Grumble

The series was successful enough to grab one of the 'Best Anime TV' awards in the 2007 Tokyo International Anime Fair, (with the other two awards going to 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya' and 'Death Note') It was also a runner up in the commercial animation catagory at the government sponsered Japan Interntional Media Festival...

If my foggy old memory is correct, I believe Bandai Entertainment has already announced the Region 1 license for the first season, with a second season already announced in Japan...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    If my foggy old memory is correct, I believe Bandai Entertainment has already announced the Region 1 license for the first season, with a second season already announced in Japan...
    Adult Swim to air Pizza Hut anime robot special, aka Code Geass - Japanator

The second season will begin airing this April in Japan.

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, I have to say that it was a really good series to watch. It had it's funny moments in it as well, but I don't want to give the story away. I've seen all of the first season except the last two episodes. But I have been watching for the next season to come out. All I can say about it is, keep watching, it gets really good towards the end of the first season. lol But I don't want to ruin your fun of watching it. lol

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

Code Geass will hopefully have a really exciting second season, the end of the first season left it quite suspenseful. Though I'm getting a sort of feeling it's going to become more supernatural than previous. Not to spoil anything, but the intensity of the series is heightened after each and every episode, you should keep watching.

Otaku kurapika is off to a good start kurapika's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a magazine and SFX anime and it was number 1 in the sixth Annual Tokyo anime fair. Winning first in the best TV anime series with suzumiya hahuri no yuutsu coming a close second and 3rd was how can it not be on the list death note

great sig by Lasura thanks heaps

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

eventually that anime will be in the super robot wars games and i can't wait to use them and let them team up with the gundams, macross, evas, etc. mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Newbie AngelMage is off to a good start AngelMage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I'm sick with the flu and have rented "Code Geass" I-IV to pass the day.

I was expecting a generic, slightly-girlier Gundam. But was surprised to find it twisty, turny and oddly reminiscent of actual world affairs. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually has something to say... even if it doesn't, it makes for an engaging setting.

Let me clarify that I actually like Gundam. But I DISLIKE how politically/socially-relevant it tries to be while being painfully generic and hypocritical. ie. in spite of promoting global cooperation: the main character is ALWAYS some Japanese messiah figure fighting on the side of right; while war is depicted as devistating and deplorabe -- it's still a show to excite boys about warfare and send them to the stores to buy models of giant war machines; Gundam is always ~just~ far enough in the future to feel as though it's impossible, unreachable and completely apart from us. Gundam's preachy without being particularly realistic. And I suppose that's part of it's retro, bombastic, Space-Opera charm.

Meanwhile, in only one episode of Code Geass: England (The Empire of Britannia) has taken over/occupied Japan and divided the city into zones for English and Japanese. The Japanese live in slums while the English live in high-end areas. As a result, the Japanese aren't particularly happy and have taken to terrorism and guerilla warfare -- including setting off a bomb in the Osaka twin towers (very 9-11 imagery). Meanwhile, seeking revenge for these terrorist acts (including suicide bombings) and hoping to "weed out" terrorists: Brittania mobilizes it's army against it's own Japanese citizens and under corrupt military leadership, begins to execute civilians (including families and crying babies). MOST people seem to be on neither "side" of the conflict... just trapped by the reality of it.

Most of the mechs have a clunky, heavy-machinery feel... with visable power chords, cables and machinery. They seem much more "weapons" than "toys"...

I'm sure when the main characters get their own units, that will probably change and folks will be zipping around space on pink-glitter trails again >_<; But for now-- the series has a nice "near future" feel to it: and the engineering of a Palestine/Israel conflict between the two largest consumers of this sort of animation (Western caucasians and the Japanese) makes that conflict a bit more sensical (or senseless) by proxy.

...and for once: the (anti)hero is a Westerner!

I think I'm going to like this more than I thought I would!

Code Geass op 1
    and just because it's awesome...

So if you've seen Code Geass -- let's talk about it!
    If you haven't: I hear it will be running on Cartoon Network this Spring.

Oh... and Lelouch's first "evil eye" scene: ... I wasn't expecting that. But it was an amazing way to end a first episode with a bang. (And since the first Japanese-release DVD only HAS one episode-- a great way to sell someone a 2nd DVD :P )
    Haha yeah,but I only watched some of a Gudam series called Gundam SEED and I thought it looked interesting at first but after watching,I'm not sure how many episodes I didn't really like it as much but yeah I agree that was surprising can't wait to see that same scene in English on AdultSwim,Johnny Young Bosh is cool.-^__^-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast