+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkest Anime

God Of Angelz Submarine Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Pencak Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Hockey Shooter Champion, Trick Master Funky Champion, Mah-Jong Connect Champion, W.R.A.X. Champion dark1angel may be famous one day dark1angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Darkest Anime

I found this question really thought out in my head of Darkest Anime in todays life, about what emotional though you had about Darkest Anime you have read, watched over the past few months?

Since i did read one before, but eventually came to an emotional feeling about the book, since then i stopped reading it due to the fact it did came really aggressive that all of a sudden told you to keep on reading right before your eyes.

Magic intervenes when there is love in first sight.
    |アスタロス|

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Darkest Anime

You can't read anime (except for the subtitles or on-screen text of course).

Let's start off with Elfen Lied shall we? Young girls being abused, heavy doses of both physical and mental anguish. Girls abused by their parents. Cold scientists who test special abilities by firing metal balls at a girl's face at increased speed.

Good family time.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Barefoot Gen will ALWAYS have this title by the balls. It's the sort of thing that burns itself into your retinas. It's hard to imagine something worse than the atomic bombing of Hiroshima... but Gen manages to make pre-war Japan seem nearly just as hellish (and rightly so).

Grave of the Fireflies is Barefoot Gen for pussies.
    Last edited by Hassun; Nov 26, 2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Gen*

Thanks

Isn't it a lot about POST-war Japan as well?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Isn't it a lot about POST-war Japan as well?
    The manga spends a double-volume pre-war (the anime, about 30 minutes), climaxes with the bombing of Hiroshima at the end of the first double-volume... most of the rest of the series deals with the immediate aftermath of the bombing of Hiroshima (the actual surrender was a week and another bomb coming...)

Thanks

Yeah I read most of the manga and I own both the anime feature films.
    I just remember seeing a lot more on the situation during the war and after the bombing than before it. Which wasn't a bouquet full of fun either of course.
    The first Barefoot Gen anime film is important to me as it is the first anime I've ever seen.
    Powerful stuff indeed. Though it never hit me all that hard as far as I know (or maybe I just became too twisted from seeing it at a young age ). Even when visiting both Nagasaki and Hiroshima's war memorials and museums.
    Last edited by Hassun; Nov 26, 2007 at 04:19 PM.

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah, both Hassun and Tsurara-san brings up some good titles. Elfen Lied is dark yet there were really funny comical moments that gave you a good feeling. The gap in the two worlds is what makes it good. Barefoot Gen....*shivers* Watched it when I was a kid, I refuse to remember any more. (~_~)

As for me I guess I find "When They Cry" (higurashi no naku koro ni) to be dark. A village that was to be demolished for a dam construction and the mystery of all the workers, etc. gone "missing". As the new kid in the village starts to look into the village's secrets he meets an unfortunate fate...in various ways. Creepy.
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now if you want a really really dark anime series, then the series called 'Now and Then, Here and There', (Ima, Sokoni Iru Boku) which covers such delightful subjects as the exploitation of children soldiers, child rape and torture, and mob lynchings, would be the top of my 'brutal' anime list. The director Akitaro Daichi (who also did 'Fruits Basket', 'Kodocha', 'Jubei-chan' and 'Animation Runner Kuromi') must have had a big chip on his shoulders to prove to the world that he could direct something that was dark and serious...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast