+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkest Anime

AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Darkest Anime

Death notes not a dark anime?
     click to show spoiler
    Last edited by Hassun; Nov 26, 2007 at 05:04 PM. Reason: MARK YOUR SPOILERS outside the spoiler sections!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now if you want a really really dark anime series, then the series called 'Now and Then, Here and There', (Ima, Sokoni Iru Boku) which covers such delightful subjects as the exploitation of children soldiers, child rape and torture, and mob lynchings, would be the top of my 'brutal' anime list. The director Akitaro Daichi (who also did 'Fruits Basket', 'Kodocha', 'Jubei-chan' and 'Animation Runner Kuromi') must have had a big chip on his shoulders to prove to the world that he could direct something that was dark and serious...
    Oh yeah, Now and then, here and there totally blindsides you and punches you in the face.
    It starts out all innocent and the look/feel of the anime is normal but when the violence erupts you notice it suddenly becomes a lot more brutal than your usual fantasy anime... And then you get to the forced labour, military service and child abuse...

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Yeah I read most of the manga and I own both the anime feature films.
    I just remember seeing a lot more on the situation during the war and after the bombing than before it.
    Sorry, I mis-spoke: none of the series itself actually takes place pre-war (it begins a few weeks before the bombing), but the first quarter focuses primarily on pre-war issues: National Learning (a philosophy developed from confucianism designed to the brainwash Japanese citizens to fanatical support of the Emporer and the Imperial army) and the occupation in Korea and racism against Koreans displaced in Japan. Gen's family's being ostracized on account of his father refusing to accept the war effort is the big issue in the first volume. There's a surprising lack of "Japan was innocent" handwringing in Gen... it's clear that Japan was ****ed up and something had to be done.

There was a lot of crap going on in Japan during and after the Russo-Japanese war that contributed to a pretty bad situation for just about everyone involved.

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    Death notes not a dark anime?
     click to show spoiler

If this is the perspective of a "dark" anime >> then Chrno Crusade would've won the first prize ... but for dark animes i wanted to say Elfen lied but since it's already mentioned then i'm going to add Hellsing to the list ...
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

God Of Angelz Submarine Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Pencak Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Hockey Shooter Champion, Trick Master Funky Champion, Mah-Jong Connect Champion, W.R.A.X. Champion dark1angel may be famous one day dark1angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shinku no kage View Post
    Ah, both Hassun and Tsurara-san brings up some good titles. Elfen Lied is dark yet there were really funny comical moments that gave you a good feeling. The gap in the two worlds is what makes it good. Barefoot Gen....*shivers* Watched it when I was a kid, I refuse to remember any more. (~_~)

As for me I guess I find "When They Cry" (higurashi no naku koro ni) to be dark. A village that was to be demolished for a dam construction and the mystery of all the workers, etc. gone "missing". As the new kid in the village starts to look into the village's secrets he meets an unfortunate fate...in various ways. Creepy.
    Well in your point of view i have to agree in what your saying that both of Hassun and Tsurara have brought really dark titles and i really never had read them before i would understand Dark Animes because the point to Dark Animes have been between the good Manga tradition and also brought kinda of emotional feelings in the end when you go near the end and you cannot bare the moment into what is going to happen in the very end of the book life.

Magic intervenes when there is love in first sight.
    |アスタロス|

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Sorry, I mis-spoke: none of the series itself actually takes place pre-war (it begins a few weeks before the bombing), but the first quarter focuses primarily on pre-war issues: National Learning (a philosophy developed from confucianism designed to the brainwash Japanese citizens to fanatical support of the Emperor and the Imperial army) and the occupation in Korea and racism against Koreans displaced in Japan. Gen's family's being ostracized on account of his father refusing to accept the war effort is the big issue in the first volume. There's a surprising lack of "Japan was innocent" handwringing in Gen... it's clear that Japan was ****ed up and something had to be done.

There was a lot of crap going on in Japan during and after the Russo-Japanese war that contributed to a pretty bad situation for just about everyone involved.
    Not that any of this was an exclusively Japanese thing of course. The first half of the 20th century was crazy in many places.
    It went seriously wrong from 1925 onward though, with that Peace Preservation Law. It really put them on a crash course.

dark1angel, I've never seen or read anything which forced me to stop watching/reading because of its content. So I can't give any specific examples of that.
    Another good example of pretty dark stuff is the Battle Royale novel or the manga. Read the novel for darker stuff, read the manga for batshit insanity and Graphic violence with a capital G.

AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Thanks

The movie was pretty good aswell, hassun. Drama, horror, and suspense.

Newbie jonshinjuku is off to a good start jonshinjuku's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: Darkest Anime

i saw a anime called basilisk recently that i thought was visionary, it was like ninja scroll but the characters were a little more darker and it had a good storyline. shinjuku..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast