+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anything else compare?

Newbie deld is off to a good start
    Thanks

Does anything else compare?

First of all I would like to introduce myself. I'm Dan, I'm new to your forums, and I have a very important question regarding the calibre of particular Anime in comparison to others.

Fundamentally, what I would like to know is whether there are any anime series out there that compare to:
    Death Note (DN)
    Code Geass (CG)

Now obviously this is a very subjective matter as different people have different tastes, but really I'm trying to direct this towards people - like myself and many of my friends - who have found these two (or one) anime superiour to any others they have watched.

I'll be honest, I haven't actually watched that many anime, in fact, my first anime that I ever watched was Death Note and it blew me away. I have never read a book or watched a TV series/film that has gripped me so much.

After DN, I had the idea in my mind that anime was amazing, that nothing could compare to it. So I went and tried to find recommendations. I watched ~7 episodes of Bleach, I watched ~5 episodes of Naruto, and each one I got bored with quickly.

Then came Code Geass which I adored - not quite as much as DN - but loved all the same. I enjoy an in-depth story, glimpses of action, fantasy elements, and some form of mystery, but that still doesn't mean I like nothing more.

When CG ended I have been longing for a good anime to be lost in, but I just can't find any. I read many recommendations for Kurenai and have just finished watching the series. It was much different to other things I had seen, but I actually enjoyed it. Nevertheless it had so many flaws that I felt could be improved, and was no-way in the same league as DN and CG.

So what do you think? Was I thrown into the deep-end, watching the best anime I will ever watch, in a league no other anime will ever meet for me? Or have I just not looked hard enough. Please CG/DN fans, enlighten me.

-Dan.

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Does anything else compare?

Haha so I guess I'm not alone after all. Mystery-detective/psychological thrillers such as Death Note are truly fascinating, and although Code Geass wasn't as good as Death Note, it was still pretty worthwhile.

I haven't come across any other anime series like Death Note before, so I'm hoping someone else will give us some suggestions as well. I can, however, recommend you the live action of Death Note. It took a little while to get into, but after the initial shock of characters such as L and Light "coming to life", you get pretty hooked into it.

The anime series of DN Angel is a little like that of Death Note and Code Geass in that there are two central characters against one another in a sort of mind game, but it just doesn't follow through with the mind games, and eventually gets carried away with character interrelationships and whatnot. Unlike Death Note and Code Geass, it doesn't hold much depth at all, and is made up of only 26 episodes, so I wouldn't strongly suggest you watch this series, unless you're incredibly bored. It's quite a light series, but enjoyable overall. You might enjoy the first half of the series, at most.

Anime aside, if you're still looking for other psychological thrillers, I strongly suggest you look into Dan Brown's novels if you haven't already read them. Angels & Demons, followed by The da Vinci Code, would have to be my all time favourites. Digital Fortress and Deception Point were both excellent reads as well. All of these require logic and reasoning to piece the information together, and play psychological games with the reader, just like Death Note does superbly.

Edit: Would it be too much to ask for you to continue watching the Naruto series? Give it some more time, and who knows, you might like it. The characters sort of play mind games with one another when it comes to battle, and their unique abilities can awe the audience with its wow factor. I'll admit that it is nothing like Death Note (it holds too much humour as opposed to DN or CG), but it's still a very enjoyable series. At least watch 'til around episode 20, and if it still holds nothing for you, then you can safely leave the series alone with no regrets.
    Last edited by mystical shadow angel; Dec 27, 2008 at 09:24 PM.

Newbie darkfreya is off to a good start darkfreya's Avatar
    Thanks

clamp x,fate stay night or hell girl,if you like detectives try clamp campus detective and detective conan

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now Death Note and Code Geass are probably the two anime series that are most alike to each other, with the main character of the series playing 'cat and mouse' mental games with their opponents throughout the series... Also, each series took a 'Notable' TV series award at the Anime Industry sponsored Tokyo International Anime Fair in 2007...

Among the other winners of the Tokyo Anime Awards that are dark with mind games between predator and prey, the only one that really meets this description would be Gankutsuou, the Sci-Fi anime remake of 'The Count of Monte Cristo'.

GANKUTSUOU--THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO
    FUNimation has just recently announced a license rescue of this GENEON USA series...
    Gankutsuou || Anime Website from FUNimation

Another award winning series worthy of mention would be Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. This series is much more episodic then the other series, but the episodes of the main series plot (which can be purchased separately in the Laughing Man OVA story release) exhibit the same characteristics, but at a government section/political level...

Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Dec 27, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LenMiyata For This Useful Post:

Twitchy (Jan 08, 2009)

Newbie deld is off to a good start
    Thanks

Thank you all for the replies. I do believe that the thing that hooked me so much in these anime series was that 'intelligence factor'. It felt like these anime are like well written novels, where other favourites amongst the anime community seem somewhat mindless action. Is it just that most people watch anime for different reasons to why they read books, or watch films?

I've just watched episode one of Fate Stay Night; I somewhat got gripped by the feelings of the main character, and how he is determined to fulfil the teachings of his father, but still it seems too like death note with its 'justice'.

I want an anime that I can really think about. Something that has me guessing what is going to happen next and why it is going to happen. Anything else I don't have the time for and see as 'eye trash'. I would, as you suggested, continue with Naruto, but I can't afford to get hooked on it because of its vast amount of episodes... I need time for other things ^^

Thank you also for your suggestions I will try the majority of them out.

Otaku mezzo1991 is off to a good start mezzo1991's Avatar
    Thanks

i myself am a fan of death note. but i think chrono crusades is alot better.

Newbie Knave is off to a good start
    Thanks

Chrono Crussade better than Death Note? Lol, that's a first one. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann came very close to be better, but it didn't.

Otaku Cinlilly is off to a good start
    Thanks

Hahaha. I love this thread.

I agree 100% with LenMiyata, I'd just like to say first off.

I'll just list a few anime's for now that I think were great since I'm terribly short on time. Oh and in no real order either.

-Samurai Champloo
    -Eureka 7
    -Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    -Cowboy Bebop
    -Full Metal Alchemist
    -Paranoia Agent (Very psychological. Some people love it, some don't. Just fyi.)

Gah, bell rang. Might list more later & explain. Ciao.
    Last edited by Cinlilly; Jan 07, 2009 at 12:23 PM.

ಥ__ಥ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinlilly For This Useful Post:

Twitchy (Jan 08, 2009)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast