Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Big O deserve a 3rd season?

Otaku ScionofDestiny may be famous one day ScionofDestiny may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Does Big O deserve a 3rd season?

As I understand it, the creators of the Big O were hassled by Bandai and Adult Swim pretty much since the very beginning. I can't cite out sources, but I believe it worked something like this (so judge for yourself if it sounds logical then decide if you believe it)

Bandai told the Sunrise team they had 26 episodes to work with. Sunrise started working on the story, but halfway (or so) through the first season Bandai turned around and told them they only had 13 episodes to work with.

Since that didn't work out with the script they'd already been writing, they had to scramble and try their best to work out the kinks. Even so, the end of act 13 was a cliffhanger (they call it an open ending in entertainment business). Bandai said it was good as is, but the Sunrise team was pretty disappointed as it seems they had high expectations for the anime.

Thus, the first season as we saw it probably turned out quite differently than the first season as Sunrise originally envisioned it.

That was when Adult Swim jumped onboard the anime business and placed an order for another season (it was the rave in the United States; as Big O explored mostly Western civilization and popular culture).

So Bandai turns around and tells Sunrise that they have another 13 episodes to work with. Of course, the changes to the first season script and plot are already done; which means they can't do the second season the way they originally planned. As if this weren't bad enough, Adult Swim has an extra stipulation.

"We want to be able to put the call for at least two more seasons if the show is popular enough."

That means that they have to do the near impossible - make an ending where it is possible to call it somewhat conclusive, but make it so there can be enough unexplained plot to have a third (and possibly a fourth) season. The end result is the kind of ending you see in the second season.

Note - I actually didn't mind the ending of the second season; but it wasn't very conclusive. They didn't even try to answer the central mysteries.

Personally, I don't care about the fourth season. All I want to know is the truth about Paradigm City and what the "ultimate" fate of it's inhabitants is going to be.

So yes; I support the third season whole-heartedly. It's time for Adult Swim to face itself and decide; PeeWee's Playhouse or Big O?

Note: It's worth mentioning, the ratings for the second season of the Big O weren't nearly as bad as Adult Swim said they were. As the wikipedia articile says, they weren't the best but they weren't the worst either. In reality, it seems as though it was conflict between certain staff among Adult Swim that has led to the "development hell" of the third season. Some want it, others don't.

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm a big s.e Lain fan and the fact that the writer for Lain also worked on Big O makes me almost squeal like a little girl. *awkward silence* >_> ... <_< ... (I need to go kill something) ... With that said... Yes. Another season of Big O would be nice. I want to be confused and to make my brain work so hard that it will most likely explode from all the effort.
    Last edited by Innerhell; Aug 01, 2006 at 09:24 PM.
    I love my girlfriend.

Thanks

I guess not that many people have seen Big O these days.

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScionofDestiny
    I guess not that many people have seen Big O these days.
    Great series. A little bit underrated though. With other big titles like Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop, Big O is left with its own *little* fanbase.
    I love my girlfriend.

Otaku Jet Black may be famous one day Jet Black may be famous one day Jet Black's Avatar
    Thanks

Sadly, I think you're right. It doesn't seem to get nearly the credit it deserves for it's innovation in combining an actual storyline that makes you think with a mecha series. I guess the majority of people would rather watch the Power Rangers or something.

Thank you Sazuka for this awesome signature!

You're a louse, Roger Smith.

Thanks

The problem is that neither Adult Swim nor Bandai feel as though they need to do a third season, because they have other, more economically safe ways of making money.

In a letter to the Big O fanbase who still enquire about the third season, and Adult Swim concluded their statement with the words:

Fly us a loan and we'll see about a third season. - or something amounting to that effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Lazzo

Wikipedia says that Mike Lazzo is probably the head behind the decision to (thus far) discontinue the Big O.
    Last edited by ScionofDestiny; Aug 03, 2006 at 08:50 AM.

Otaku N!tr0-Glyc3r1n may be famous one day N!tr0-Glyc3r1n may be famous one day N!tr0-Glyc3r1n's Avatar
    Thanks

Im not really impressed with Big O...I really dont think it should get a 3rd season but thats just my opinion

thank u SasuraiHell
    go -=NOOBZ=- clan!

Thanks

Could you elaborate a bit more, though? Like, why don't you like it, for example? What you said here was pretty vague.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast