+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dub vs Sub

Otaku ice viper is off to a good start ice viper's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dub vs Sub

I think your right fireandice! I also tend to watch a lot of the newer anime's that haven't been released in the US so they are all in sub. But when the animes get licens for over in the US I will go out and buy and watch it in the dud. So I really don't mind both. One I can learn how to speek japanese and while dud I can hear all of the voice actors in the US.

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd go with subs. (I'd prefer no subs but thats not the topic here)

Being half-Japanese I just prefer it that way. To be honest....most dubs SUCK!!!! There are a few series that I actually LIKED the dubs such as "Full Metal Alchemist", "Cowboy Bebop", and a couple of recent releases such as "BLEACH" and "Naruto".

C'mon, honestly...some dubs dont do a great job in translations and some series are often "butchered" by dubs because of that and also because of the addition of senseless jokes at serious moments or to fill in gaps between lines.

Examples: Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and One Piece. All of which are or WERE actually great or decent til the US dubs killed it.

I heard once before that Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece was supposed to be released "uncut" to give it the original glory it had. (I dunno if they ever did...never bothered to check)
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ well, i like dubbing when it's old school (i.e.: Ranma 1/2, Tenchi, Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star) all had great dubbing in my opinion, becuz the stories and characters were taken seriously...

however, if the anime was released nowadays, i probably wouldn't touch the dubbed section. all the talented western voice actors have been replaced with annoying otakus who managed to get a break in the voice acting thingy... have you heard the dubbing for Tsubasa? i heard a preview of it... God awful... God awful, i say

but i thought the God Awful dubbing of Yu Gi Oh is quite enjoyable! just don't take it seriously and it will be the best thing you ever see!

Newbie Sirhc may be famous one day Sirhc may be famous one day Sirhc's Avatar
    Thanks

Usually it's whatever I hear first. Though I like aiming for the subs since it's what I've grown to like. I also here enough english from people everyday so it sort of like makes me think of the stories taking place somewhere far away, in another realm of being.

Although now that I've seen 250 some episodes of Naruto, I can't stand it any other way. One time I was trying to show my friend one of the episodes, all I could find at the moment was Dubs, and I couldn't stand watching it. Although there are deffinitly some good Dubs running around out there. Reading anime Subs kinda makes you have to think a bit keeping your mind sharp and not becoming too much of a sloth.

Anyways, now that I've further gone away from watching Western Television daily by not having Cable for the time being, I overall find english to kind of be out of context when watching anime.

Naruto Shippuden >> 51 | Gundam 00 >> 24 | FMA >> Ch. 81

Newbie Chii is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shinku no kage View Post
    I'd go with subs. (I'd prefer no subs but thats not the topic here)

Being half-Japanese I just prefer it that way. To be honest....most dubs SUCK!!!! There are a few series that I actually LIKED the dubs such as "Full Metal Alchemist", "Cowboy Bebop", and a couple of recent releases such as "BLEACH" and "Naruto".

C'mon, honestly...some dubs dont do a great job in translations and some series are often "butchered" by dubs because of that and also because of the addition of senseless jokes at serious moments or to fill in gaps between lines.

Examples: Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and One Piece. All of which are or WERE actually great or decent til the US dubs killed it.

I heard once before that Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece was supposed to be released "uncut" to give it the original glory it had. (I dunno if they ever did...never bothered to check)
    id have to agree with Shinku no kage on the fact that some shows get "butchered" when dubed. if you look at Tokyo Mew Mew in comparison with its dubed version Mew Mew Power you could see that clearly. but as some of you others have saied it depends on what i see first altho over all id pick sub as my fav just because it keeps with the main theme as it was writen.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Now that I can actually understand Japanese: I've found that I'm much less tolerant of subtitles... dubs are growing on me. That said, I've also found that I tend dislike the sound and style of most English voice acting intensely... even in American animation.

The result: I usually watch anime raw, grumble when my Japanese boyfriend demands subtitles on English live action movies (which MUST be in English! real people = real voices please), and watch American animation with the Japanese dubs (I can't watch the English versions of "Happy Feet" or "Madagascar") and found that I couldn't watch "The Brother's Grimm" at all, because it was painfully obvious that all of the children were having their real voices cut out and then replaced with miserably unconvincing 30-something voice actors.

So uh... yes... I guess it depends on the DVD

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Dub vs. Sub: the debate that has raged since the beginning of Western fandom ~

Which do you prefer and why?
    I watch movies with subtitles, even when they're in English. It's easier to follow the story and catch subtle mutterings. Also, you can hear the inflections in the voice in the original language. Things are always lost in translation.

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

Subs all the way,
    I have to agree with most people on this thread that subs are the way to go.
    I cannot watch any anime that has been dubbed, except for dbz as the cast did a very good job with that.
    But it is not just the subs that take me this way, it is also the fact that the program or movie just sounds better in the original language.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast