+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Fansubbing Dilemma

Devoted Otaku Power Play Champion gaarasandkiller1 is off to a good start gaarasandkiller1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Fansubbing Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Agreed. I'll admit that I watch the occasional fansub here and there (most of us do, there's no denying that). But if you're only watching fansubs, downloading and burning pirate DVDs--however you're accquiring your pirated work--you're basically showing your lack of support to the studios who created these shows we're all so addicted to. Shooting ourselves in the foot? No, we're cutting our own hands off!

Let's say that 7 out of 10 otaku have never paid a dime for the anime they watch or the manga they read and it's all thanks to the inter-web. With a rate of 70% of the fan base getting all this stuff for free, where does the extra money come from when it's time to budget for a new series/season? There's no profit if you're only getting 30% of what you're putting out there.

I personally think that TV networks and DVD publishers here in the US need to pick and choose what they're importing here more wisely and maybe that would increase the sales a bit. I support my fellow artists and pay for my fix (80% of the time ^_^), I think everyone else should follow suit. Because at the rate things are goin', we'll be out of new stuff to watch by 2015.

Enjoy it while you can. LOL.
    i realy coudn't have said it better myself^_^(no realy i am bad with words lol)as far as i see its no surprize but its all talk they got no sure cut way to this issue so they arewasting time and money looking into this and trying to get methods that are no sure fail-safe way to go.
    *All the same i will kill you all,Gaara* (yes i made my own siggy

Otaku animemeg may be famous one day animemeg may be famous one day animemeg's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly what angers me is that those that are so intent on bashing fansubs are not willing to discuss the price of anime.

I do agree that it's terrible that so much anime is stolen, however I think it's just horrid how an anime boxset costs around double a normal tv boxset.

Not only that but as consumers there is no way for us to try before we buy... Since most anime is not put on tv when brought over it's use fansubs or trust the box.

I think this is a problem that goes far beyond what articles like this discuss and need huge changes to the industry for all parties to be happy.

Though I do agree with those that bash people that have never supported the anime industry... I don't own as much anime as I'd like to but I am constantly trying to replace my fansubs with real unpirated dvds.... It's slow because I am pretty darn poor but I make an active effort to do so....

Again it's going to take some changes and shake ups from all sides, an in different ways then most people are willing to discuss

Newbie RacerOtaku may be famous one day RacerOtaku may be famous one day RacerOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by animemeg View Post
    Honestly what angers me is that those that are so intent on bashing fansubs are not willing to discuss the price of anime.

I do agree that it's terrible that so much anime is stolen, however I think it's just horrid how an anime boxset costs around double a normal tv boxset.

I agree. For example, I've seen the fansub of Sola, which was recently licensed by Bandai. I really liked the show and would like to add it to my collection, but I can't stomach the $250 cost for five sub only volumes. I spent $200 on all the special edition Haruhi stuff and got a WHOLE lot of extra stuff that made it worth while(watched the fansub of this as well). I'll admit that I feel like a bit of a bastard for watching the fansub and then not buying it. But, Damn! Come on Bandai, What the F**k!
    Last edited by RacerOtaku; Feb 29, 2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Dee-dee-dee. I kant spel

"I look forward to continued immaturity followed by death" - Dave Barry
    "There's no such thing as too much power, just too little traction" - Me
    "I love sleep. It's the one place I'm safe from life and all the saddness it brings."

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Unfortunately there is no way we can know the what would happen if tomorrow all fansubs were to completely stop. Assume that suddenly everyone stops pirating episodes, would anime fans pay to see the anime or just give it up and not watch altogether. One thing the article mentioned was that while you can download all the soundtracks and episodes you want the "typical" consumer are more likely to buy related products. If they can figure out which weighs more; allowing or not allowing fansubs then maybe this whole argument can lay to rest.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku animemeg may be famous one day animemeg may be famous one day animemeg's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RacerOtaku View Post
    I agree. For example, I've seen the fansub of Sola, which was recently licensed by Bandai. I really liked the show and would like to add it to my collection, but I can't stomach the $250 cost for five sub only volumes. I spent $200 on all the special edition Haruhi stuff and got a WHOLE lot of extra stuff that made it worth while(watched the fansub of this as well). I'll admit that I feel like a bit of a bastard for watching the fansub and then not buying it. But, Damn! Come on Bandai, What the F**k!
    Yeah that's exactly what I mean.... NCIS which has 6 dvds is about 40 dollars per set.

Sex in the city which is SIX full seasons is less then 400 retail.

200... for what 26 episodes? What are they thinking! No wonder so much anime is stolen.

Again I still don't agree with fansubs and would like to see them gone, but in order to do so the affordability of anime needs to be changed

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well i hope it kills the companys they way over price there anime and im happy its happening.

Devoted Otaku Power Play Champion gaarasandkiller1 is off to a good start gaarasandkiller1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The GunGrave of Trigun View Post
    Well i hope it kills the companys they way over price there anime and im happy its happening.
    you know what you try making a living of making anime when you got no other form of money and need to survive not to mention the anime isn't that costly :P you need to learn to have respect for anime others wise dont call your self a anime fan because if you dis the companys your anime scum !!!
    *All the same i will kill you all,Gaara* (yes i made my own siggy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2