Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 23

Thread: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within vs FFVII: Advent Children

  1. #9
    One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within vs FFVII: Advent Children

    Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    There are several things wrong with your assessment.
    Not everyone dies at the end of Spirits within (Aki ross and Dr. Sid survive), but a good chunk of the main cast dies.

    You can't really compare the two movies fight scenes. Advent Children's story line is action based, so its one fight after the next, while Spirit's within was narrative based, meaning the movie focus' on the story rather then action, which for me personally, is something I enjoy better because I'm a writer.

    Final Fantasy The Spirits Within is still hailed for its realistic looking computer generated characters, and yes, while there have been advancements in computer animation since the films release (It was released in 2001, so things like the fluidity of motion, hair animation, and background detail are better), the characters are more closer to life like then in Advent Children.

    And no offense, but Cloud had a "Family" as you put it, at the end of Video game, so your point is pretty much moot.

    ah, oh well, i sometimes contradict myself.....

    i actually ment to put as a plus the graphics of S.W. for its time, and i think they are better than shrek, which isnt all that great...

    "You will only have eyes for Me!"

  2. #10
    Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the end, it doesn' really matter.
    Posts
    907
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 47 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within vs FFVII: Advent Children

    Each one had their good points and bad, I can' say which one I'd pick over the other. I like them both. I enjoyed the story on "Spirits Within" and the action of "Advent Children." Sorry, I jus' can' pick.

    Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

  3. #11
    Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Coalhurst Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,900
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 183 Times in 148 Posts

    Re: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within vs FFVII: Advent Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Ochi Gate View Post
    ah, oh well, i sometimes contradict myself.....

    i actually ment to put as a plus the graphics of S.W. for its time, and i think they are better than shrek, which isnt all that great...
    I don't think you're getting what I said. They're STILL hailing Spirits Within's realism. Now, 6 years after the film was released.

    And how can you say that about Shrek. It won the Academy Award for best Animated feature at the 74th Academy Awards, beating out Jimmy Nutron (No biggie there), and Monsters Inc. which was an awesome film. It currently holds 3rd place on Bravo's (A rather large and respected Film and Art television network) "100 Funniest Movies", and 2nd place (Beat out by ET), as Channel 4's (A respected publicly owned Television station in the UK. Think PBS on steroids) Top 100 Family Films.
    None of those are small feats.

    I also think that Cameron Diaz's character Fiona was beautifully animated, and in some parts of the film, particularly in Action and emotional scenes, better then similar scenes with Ming-Na Wen's character Aki Ross in Spirits Within.

  4. #12
    One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within vs FFVII: Advent Children

    the point of this thread isnt about shrek vs FF, but, i dont think it is on par with the final fansasy features. and yes, Spirits within does have more realistic hair movements and such, but it was the point to make Advent Children more Video-game like in respects of physics, jump height, hair, ect.

    a problem that i see with all of these films, an i may just be weird, but i dont think many of the wrist movements look..i donno, right. does anyone else know what im talking about?

    "You will only have eyes for Me!"

  5. #13
    Otaku Lupas is off to a good start
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newark, N.J.
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Angry Re: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within vs FFVII: Advent Children

    Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    I don't think you're getting what I said. They're STILL hailing Spirits Within's realism. Now, 6 years after the film was released.

    And how can you say that about Shrek. It won the Academy Award for best Animated feature at the 74th Academy Awards, beating out Jimmy Nutron (No biggie there), and Monsters Inc. which was an awesome film. It currently holds 3rd place on Bravo's (A rather large and respected Film and Art television network) "100 Funniest Movies", and 2nd place (Beat out by ET), as Channel 4's (A respected publicly owned Television station in the UK. Think PBS on steroids) Top 100 Family Films.
    None of those are small feats.

    I also think that Cameron Diaz's character Fiona was beautifully animated, and in some parts of the film, particularly in Action and emotional scenes, better then similar scenes with Ming-Na Wen's character Aki Ross in Spirits Within.
    how dare you compare sherk w/ anything square's done, sherk basically took square's inovations and kiddie them up! you drone on & on about the CGI & story, but the academy you're talking about shunned it. speaking of good stories the academy pays no attention 2, how about Donnie Darco!?

  6. #14
    Newbie KillPuppet is off to a good start KillPuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bideford, England
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within vs FFVII: Advent Children

    i ordered advent children the other day after hearing loads of great reviews but havent seen it yet.
    BUT i have seen spirits within...and to be honest it was a great disappointment it just doesnt make much of a movie, i think.
    If your not remembered, how do you know you ever existed?

  7. #15
    Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Coalhurst Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,900
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 183 Times in 148 Posts

    Re: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within vs FFVII: Advent Children

    Quote Originally Posted by Lupas View Post
    how dare you compare sherk w/ anything square's done, sherk basically took square's inovations and kiddie them up! you drone on & on about the CGI & story, but the academy you're talking about shunned it. speaking of good stories the academy pays no attention 2, how about Donnie Darco!?
    Now, first off, this thread asked for my opinion, and I gave it, so you'll just have to live with it.

    I agree that Square did a great job with both the Final Fantasy movies, but seriously, lets get realistic here: They weren't Academy Award material. Shrek (And even more notably, Shrek 2), was a visual and story telling masterpiece, and as a fan of both the FF movies, I'm not afraid to say so.

    Neither film (Spirits or AC) as won any award (Spirits within was nominated for 5, and AC didn't win any.)

    Lets also talk about target audience. Here, Spirits within takes it, simply because it had an original storyline so there was no need to already know the Final Fantasy lore, which means it appeals to a broader audience.

    Advent children, well, you would have had to have played FFVII to understand some of the more complex plot points, which means it won't really appeal to anyone outside of FFVII's fans.

    The film company that made Spirits Within, Square Pictures, located in Hawaii, doesn't exist anymore. The reason for this is because Spirits Within bombed (Meaning it was a spectacular Financial Failure) at the box office. It only made $80 million dollars world wide (its budget was $130 million, so do the math).

    Also, Advent Children was a Straight to DVD release, which generally means it won't win any awards except for viewers choice, which, oddly enough, hasn't won any.

    Now that I've finished pointing out the flaws of both movies, I have to say that I am a fan of both movies, I own both on dvd, and went to see Spirits within opening day at the theaters, but has a fan of movies in general: They aren't that good, and there are better films out there.

    As for Donnie Darco, I'm not going to comment on it, because I haven't watched it (Don't know why, just haven't gotten around to it yet), other then to tell you that it has won 10 awards, and was Nominated for 6. Donnie Darko (2001) - Awards

  8. #16
    Otaku Lupas is off to a good start
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newark, N.J.
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within vs FFVII: Advent Children

    Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Now, first off, this thread asked for my opinion, and I gave it, so you'll just have to live with it.

    I agree that Square did a great job with both the Final Fantasy movies, but seriously, lets get realistic here: They weren't Academy Award material. Shrek (And even more notably, Shrek 2), was a visual and story telling masterpiece, and as a fan of both the FF movies, I'm not afraid to say so.

    Neither film (Spirits or AC) as won any award (Spirits within was nominated for 5, and AC didn't win any.)

    Lets also talk about target audience. Here, Spirits within takes it, simply because it had an original storyline so there was no need to already know the Final Fantasy lore, which means it appeals to a broader audience.

    Advent children, well, you would have had to have played FFVII to understand some of the more complex plot points, which means it won't really appeal to anyone outside of FFVII's fans.

    The film company that made Spirits Within, Square Pictures, located in Hawaii, doesn't exist anymore. The reason for this is because Spirits Within bombed (Meaning it was a spectacular Financial Failure) at the box office. It only made $80 million dollars world wide (its budget was $130 million, so do the math).

    Also, Advent Children was a Straight to DVD release, which generally means it won't win any awards except for viewers choice, which, oddly enough, hasn't won any.

    Now that I've finished pointing out the flaws of both movies, I have to say that I am a fan of both movies, I own both on dvd, and went to see Spirits within opening day at the theaters, but has a fan of movies in general: They aren't that good, and there are better films out there.

    As for Donnie Darco, I'm not going to comment on it, because I haven't watched it (Don't know why, just haven't gotten around to it yet), other then to tell you that it has won 10 awards, and was Nominated for 6. Donnie Darko (2001) - Awards

    retelling of fairy tales no matter the hummor content does not make astory original people have been doing that 4 centuries. as far as sherk goes it's tech far overshadowed SW, why should that be? Darco wasn't nominated 4 an oscar, but Butterfly Effect was. why? PM me w/ response 2 (?). all that aside AC was targeted 4 gamers SW 4 movie goers playing the games helps 1 understand where square was going but it doesn't mean they should've made that jump 2 the big screen. by the way love the Shawn of the Dead sig
    Last edited by Lupas; Aug 27, 2007 at 08:46 AM. Reason: forgot something

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Final Fantasy VII Advent Children
    By fallenangel25 in forum Sensory Pleasures
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jun 16, 2007, 10:42 AM
  2. Final Fantasy/Advent children
    By Aqua chic in forum Sensory Pleasures
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Mar 24, 2007, 03:49 PM
  3. Final Fantasy Advent Children
    By Mistah Anime in forum Sensory Pleasures
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 16, 2006, 01:46 PM
  4. Final Fantasy Vii: Advent Children
    By cflnut in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Mar 25, 2006, 07:29 AM
  5. Final Fantasy VII Advent CHildren
    By N.Y._Soulja in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: Jul 07, 2005, 05:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts