+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 9 to 16 of 16

Thread: Genshiken

  1. #9
    Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Posts
    2,027
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Genshiken

    There is a second season???? WOW I really am out of touch with this anime. I loved the first season as a friend showed it to me. its good to hear they made another season :P
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

  2. #10
    anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shikoku
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 84 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: Genshiken

    I'm not exactly sure how Genshiken flies overseas... ^^; There's so much about it that ties into the Japanese fandom exclusively (how many Americans collect doujinshi, go to comic market, can buy capsule toys out of machines, go to maid cafes, ride trains, have school festivals, hang out in Akihabara, or know the theme songs to obscure 70s shoujo series?), not to mention the whole idea of being otaku as a gigantic social stigma...

    I suppose that just getting half of the references makes the show alright... but I can't seem to wrap my head around anyone thinking it's hilariously funny unless they've actually been a part of the Japanese fandom.

    The 2nd season is apparently trying to change that. They're introducing an American girl to the group. Maybe that will address my main complaints about Genshiken as an import :P

    Right now, watching Genshiken and getting (or just pretending) to get the jokes is more of an otaku street-cred issue than it is one of actual entertainment. If you can watch Genshiken and actually understand most of it: you're a dork-king. Cultural notes every 5 seconds to explain jokes isn't exactly my idea of an accessable or enjoyable comedy.

    Apparently they're introducing two BL fanservice characters this season too. Some actual boys to rub up against each other and send the girls into hysteric fits of squirmy giggles.

  3. #11
    Otaku Blackbird is off to a good start Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    336
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Genshiken

    Well, I don't think it's overseas but I love the jokes and everything. But thanks for your comment xD

  4. #12
    anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shikoku
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 84 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: Genshiken

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Well, I don't think it's overseas
    ?_? I live in Japan. It's a bunch of islands. Everything is "overseas".

  5. #13
    Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Torrance, Ca.
    Posts
    444
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: Genshiken

    Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how Genshiken flies overseas... ^^; There's so much about it that ties into the Japanese fandom exclusively (how many Americans collect doujinshi, go to comic market, can buy capsule toys out of machines, go to maid cafes, ride trains, have school festivals, hang out in Akihabara, or know the theme songs to obscure 70s shoujo series?), not to mention the whole idea of being otaku as a gigantic social stigma...
    I loved the first season of Genshiken. I can't wait for it to come out here in the states. I can relate to the show, even if we dont have the awsome public transportation system or the doujinshi, we do have the capsule machines, we have a comicon here near where i live, geez i wish we had a maid cafe here. I build Gundam figs among other models and collect anime figures. I also have friends that fit into the roles of all the charaters in Genshiken so its rather funny to me...I should be afraid that i have friends that fit into those roles dont I?
    Don't Panic

  6. #14
    Otaku Blackbird is off to a good start Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    336
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Genshiken

    Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    ?_? I live in Japan. It's a bunch of islands. Everything is "overseas".
    Well, I'm wasn't that sure you live in Japan. Where in Japan ? Well, I'm maybe moving there soon. Which one its a greatest place to move?

  7. #15
    Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley, California
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts

    Re: Genshiken

    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Jepray View Post
    I loved the first season of Genshiken. I can't wait for it to come out here in the states. I can relate to the show, even if we dont have the awsome public transportation system or the doujinshi, we do have the capsule machines, we have a comicon here near where i live, geez i wish we had a maid cafe here. I build Gundam figs among other models and collect anime figures. I also have friends that fit into the roles of all the charaters in Genshiken so its rather funny to me...I should be afraid that i have friends that fit into those roles dont I?
    Actually, the first season of 'Genshiken' has had a US/Canada/Region 1 release for quite some time now... (I should know, as I have a filled Art box sitting on my shelf for quite some time now...) The short OVA series has been licensed, but it has not been announced if they will be released by them selves, or included as a part of the 'Kujibiki Unbalance' TV series...

    Genshiken Economy DVD Set (Hyb)
    Genshiken DVD Premium Collection (Hyb)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

  8. #16
    Devoted Otaku Power Play Champion gaarasandkiller1 is off to a good start gaarasandkiller1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in the darkness away from life
    Posts
    509
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: Genshiken

    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    Actually, the first season of 'Genshiken' has had a US/Canada/Region 1 release for quite some time now... (I should know, as I have a filled Art box sitting on my shelf for quite some time now...) The short OVA series has been licensed, but it has not been announced if they will be released by them selves, or included as a part of the 'Kujibiki Unbalance' TV series...

    Genshiken Economy DVD Set (Hyb)
    Genshiken DVD Premium Collection (Hyb)
    realy now,hhhmmm i did not think its has been out quite as long well i will have to look into getting me the box set and stop barrowing my friends lol i shall do some internet surfing
    *All the same i will kill you all,Gaara* (yes i made my own siggy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. genshiken
    By YOUR FACE in forum Anime
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr 25, 2007, 10:47 PM
  2. Genshiken
    By AnimeGeek in forum Anime
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep 01, 2006, 08:26 PM
  3. Genshiken
    By Lunai in forum Anime
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jun 22, 2006, 09:05 AM
  4. Questions on Genshiken.
    By Eriadd in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 16, 2005, 01:57 PM
  5. Genshiken
    By Tano-kun in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 13, 2005, 08:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts