+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gokusen

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Gokusen

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
    The plot involves Kumiko Yamaguchi, the granddaughter of a Yakuza boss. Her parents died when she was younger, and her grandfather has no other descendants, so Kumiko is next in line to head the family business with the title of Ojou. However, her lifelong dream has been to become a teacher. While her grandfather approves of her choice, others in the family want her to become the next boss.

Kumiko (known by her students as "Yankumi") becomes a teacher at an all-boys private high school. Her class is full of delinquents, but she tries her hardest to teach them not just about academics (her subject is Mathematics), but about lessons of life, much like any "dedicated teacher" story. Though she's forced to keep her family a secret from the public, her Yakuza upbringing gives her the strength and the experience to reach out to her students, while also providing comedic relief.
    I just bought the complete box-set a few weeks ago and I must say that this series was pretty good! I liked it alot! It was like watching a female version of GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka). It's pretty short though. It's about 12 or 15 episodes long, but I still found it pretty amusing. The only thing I have a problem with is that damn dog!!! Maybe it's just the cheesy English voice-over they gave him (still haven't watched in Nihon-go yet). I dunno...

The ending theme is probably the best part about the series to me, but that's cuz I'm big on music and artwork. Well, the supporting characters were pretty great too. Especially the music teacher, lol. *laughs like Happosai*

Has anyone seen this series? If so, what did you like or dislike about it and why?

One more thing!!! I found out there's a live action series of this! Has anyone seen it? I'd love an opinion on that as well, so I know whether or not to go scouring the globe to find it. ^_^

Ever So Awesome Kaboom Champion, Archery Champion, Crazy Pool 2 Champion, Ninja-Boy Champion, Bubble Shooter Champion zyta may be famous one day zyta may be famous one day zyta's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Goukusen

Great series, I have read the manga, watched all three dramas and the anime.

Shin by far is the best character, especially in the boxing tournament in the anime. >_>

Visit my blog: Rewriting Life

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zyta View Post
    Great series, I have read the manga, watched all three dramas and the anime.

Shin by far is the best character, especially in the boxing tournament in the anime. >_>
    Oh yeah, Shin kicked ass in the boxing tourney. I'd have to say that were not for Shin and Yankumi, the show would be at a loss, LOL. They both are awesome!

I've never read the manga, but I intend to. Is it better than the anime or pretty much the same? I know how studios chop things from the manga to be able to make episodes fit in to 30 minutes.

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

~Fixed the title of the thread from "Goukusen" to "Gokusen"
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Gokusen

Oh, yes I loved this series! It's been a while since I've seen it though to my memory of it is vague. I loved Kumiko (aka - Yankumi) and how tough she was. My only major complaint of the anime series was that it was too short. I wish they had stretched it a little bit more.

I haven't ever read the manga. I'm sure it was longer. Maybe I should invest my money on some Gokusen volumes.

The live-action series was really good in my opinion, too. It had Yankumi kicking a whole lot of butt and it lasted a lot longer then the anime series. I think it's going into it's 3rd season, now. I loved the 1st season the best though. It had all of the original characters with a few add-ons and had a bit more of a developed plot when compared to the anime plot in my opinion. It was also really funny and I'm always up for a good laugh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priestess Angel View Post
    Oh, yes I loved this series! It's been a while since I've seen it though to my memory of it is vague. I loved Kumiko (aka - Yankumi) and how tough she was. My only major complaint of the anime series was that it was too short. I wish they had stretched it a little bit more.

I haven't ever read the manga. I'm sure it was longer. Maybe I should invest my money on some Gokusen volumes.

The live-action series was really good in my opinion, too. It had Yankumi kicking a whole lot of butt and it lasted a lot longer then the anime series. I think it's going into it's 3rd season, now. I loved the 1st season the best though. It had all of the original characters with a few add-ons and had a bit more of a developed plot when compared to the anime plot in my opinion. It was also really funny and I'm always up for a good laugh.
    Yeah, I was pretty salty when I found out how short the series actually is, but still; it's a pretty great show. I'd recommend it to just about anyone who likes school-themed anime/manga.

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Technically, i'm not really a big Gokusen fan but i've had the opportunity to view its TV adaptations. I've seen the anime on Animax, one of the anime networks we have here in the Philippines. Two seasons of the live version was aired on two channels, a third season came out earlier this year and i'm currently on it. The live versions are more celebrated here in my country due to the fact that not all cable networks offers Animax.

I'm putting the anime (barely) on the above average scale, i like Yankumi's well-rounded character background and personality. It offers a good slice-of-life plot and it did well enough on character emphasis. Just like some slice-of-life titles, it offers a fair share of comic relief, moral lessons, drama, action, and a lot of other things in between. I can't say that i liked it better than GTO (another famous teacher based title) but i kinda liked it better than Hell Teacher Nube (again, another famous teacher title).

On the other hand, the live version is just as good as its animated counterpart. It offers the usual elements that you get in the anime but it gives you more episodes to feast upon. It was a well rounded production and each season provides a cast with Japan's most popular and talented stars. The likes of Oguri Shun and Matsumoto Jun of Arashi appears in season 1, both starred in a lot of J-dramas and films, both also appeared as main characters in the live action version of Hana Yori Dango. Then-not-so-bankable stars Mokomichi Hayami and Mizushima Hiro appears in season 2, Hayami appeared in a lot of J-dramas since then and Hiro would become a bankable and popular star in his later roles as Kamen Rider Kabuto and Sempai Nanba in Hana Kimi, both appeared together as main characters in this year's Zettai Kareshi/Absolute Boyfriend. Yuya Takaki of Shounen Club fame appears in the 3rd season alongside another pop singer and actor Miura Haruma. Yukie Nakama, one of Japan's prominent female stars of today plays as Yankumi in all three seasons.

Be forewarned though, if you hate cast resets then you might not enjoy the live version. The only recurring characters in all three seasons are Yankumi and her family, but some of Yankumi's former students from the previous seasons reappears in a few episodes or so.
    Last edited by Hantei16; Aug 06, 2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: fixed some typoes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hantei16 View Post
    Technically, i'm not really a big Gokusen fan but i've had the opportunity to view its TV adaptations. I've seen the anime on Animax, one of the anime networks we have here in the Philippines. Two seasons of the live version was aired on two channels, a third season came out earlier this year and i'm currently on it. The live versions are more celebrated here in my country due to the fact that not all cable networks offers Animax.

I'm putting the anime (barely) on the above average scale, i like Yankumi's well-rounded character background and personality. It offers a good slice-of-life plot and it did well enough on character emphasis. Just like some slice-of-life titles, it offers a fair share of comic relief, moral lessons, drama, action, and a lot of other things in between. I can't say that i liked it better than GTO (another famous teacher based title) but i kinda liked it better than Hell Teacher Nube (again, another famous teacher title).

On the other hand, the live version is just as good as its animated counterpart. It offers the usual elements that you get in the anime but it gives you more episodes to feast upon. It was a well rounded production and each season provides a cast with Japan's most popular and talented stars. The likes of Oguri Shun and Matsumoto Jun of Arashi appears in season 1, both starred in a lot of J-dramas and films, both also appeared as main characters in the live action version of Hana Yori Dango. Then-not-so-bankable stars Mokomichi Hayami and Mizushima Hiro appears in season 2, Hayami appeared in a lot of J-dramas since then and Hiro would become a bankable and popular star in his later roles as Kamen Rider Kabuto and Sempai Nanba in Hana Kimi, both appeared together as main characters in this year's Zettai Kareshi/Absolute Boyfriend. Yuya Takaki of Shounen Club fame appears in the 3rd season alongside another pop singer and actor Miura Haruma. Yukie Nakama, one of Japan's prominent female stars of today plays as Yankumi in all three seasons.

Be forewarned though, if you hate cast resets then you might not enjoy the live version. The only recurring characters in all three seasons are Yankumi and her family but some of Yankumi's former students from the previous seasons appears in a few episodes or so.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it better than GTO either, but that's the first anime that came to mind while watching the series for the first time.

The live action version sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check that out. Is that retarded dog in the live action version? LOL. (Thanks for such an in depth opinion, by the way. Much appreciated!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast