+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gokusen

The Keiman of Anime keimanzero is off to a good start keimanzero's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Gokusen

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post

I just bought the complete box-set a few weeks ago and I must say that this series was pretty good! I liked it alot! It was like watching a female version of GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka). It's pretty short though. It's about 12 or 15 episodes long, but I still found it pretty amusing. The only thing I have a problem with is that damn dog!!! Maybe it's just the cheesy English voice-over they gave him (still haven't watched in Nihon-go yet). I dunno...

The ending theme is probably the best part about the series to me, but that's cuz I'm big on music and artwork. Well, the supporting characters were pretty great too. Especially the music teacher, lol. *laughs like Happosai*

Has anyone seen this series? If so, what did you like or dislike about it and why?

One more thing!!! I found out there's a live action series of this! Has anyone seen it? I'd love an opinion on that as well, so I know whether or not to go scouring the globe to find it. ^_^
    Congratulations AS. Gokusen (Gangster Teacher since Ojou is really a Yakuzza heiress) is my mom's fave anime even more so than Witchblade. She has all 13 eppys of the anime but we ain't into manga too much and of course we've never seen the drama. This series is quite similar to GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka which means demon mound) which jas Ekichi Onizuka as an ex motorcycle 'biker' leader who now teaches jr high in Japan. There's a lot of crossover twixt the two anime series. Wikipedia has a great writeup about each series. Incidentally the gal Caroline Lawson who voices Ojou aka Yankumi aka Kumiko Yamaguchi Oeedo the Yakuzza Oeedo clan leader does a tv ad for Disney World too. It's a cool anime and I especially like Mr Nekomata the gang leader who kidnaps Ojou (means princess by the way) looks like what a nekomata is- a shape shifting cat like Kirara on InuYasha. Since you don't have cable AS why not try manga.com where you can DL quite a bit of anime to computer, ipod, etc. and most of it is free. There are more sites like that out there but I am not into DL too much except for music and burning CDs online. More soon pal of mine. Toodles-K&K
    SFN and have a great day. Kami bless you all and see ya soon. Toodles-K&K

Ever So Awesome Kaboom Champion, Archery Champion, Crazy Pool 2 Champion, Ninja-Boy Champion, Bubble Shooter Champion zyta may be famous one day zyta may be famous one day zyta's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Goukusen

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I've never read the manga, but I intend to. Is it better than the anime or pretty much the same? I know how studios chop things from the manga to be able to make episodes fit in to 30 minutes.
    The manga is INFINITLY better, the anime doesn't even cover anything interesting such as Kyo's abduction of shin and whatnot. The anime is the normal length for an anime i suppose, but the manga spans 15 volumes and they cut into what they did.

IMO this series is the better of the two (Gokusen or GTO) *shrug* But that's only with the manga helping in the comparison, as I've read both.

Visit my blog: Rewriting Life

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Gokusen

I didn't even realize this anime was popular. I loved watching it on the Encore channel, and It was kind of like finding a diamond in the rough. I'm sorry to say that I don't remember very much about the series, but I do remember catching it whenever I could, and enjoying every episode. I think I also remember the swim team guy being voiced by Sean Schimmel (Goku from DBZ) in the english anime. Weird.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2