+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hajime ni Ippo (Fighting Spirit)

Ever So Awesome Kaboom Champion, Archery Champion, Crazy Pool 2 Champion, Ninja-Boy Champion, Bubble Shooter Champion zyta may be famous one day zyta may be famous one day zyta's Avatar
    Thanks

Hajime ni Ippo (Fighting Spirit)

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Ippo Makunouchi is a very shy high school student who never had the time to make friends because he was always busy helping his mother with the family charter boat fishing business. Because he kept to himself, a group of bullies lead by Umezawa got into the habit of picking on him. On one particular day these bullies decided to give him a rather serious beating, but a middle-weight professional boxer who was passing by stopped the bullies and took the injured Ippo to the Kamogawa Gym, owned by retired boxer Genji Kamogawa, to treat his wounds. After Ippo awoke to the sounds of boxers training, the boxer who saved him, Mamoru Takamura, tried to cheer Ippo up by letting him vent his frustrations on a sandbag. It was then that they had their first glimpse into Ippo's talent for boxing. After that incident, Ippo started his regular training and began his path in Japan's professional boxing.

The story focuses heavily on character development, even during the matches something is learned about the fighters. Ippo and his friendly rivalry with Miyata is the main draw in the early part of the series. That later changes to Ippo's path towards the Japanese Featherweight Championship and eventually the world championship. Along the way we are given glimpses into the other side character's pasts, motivations, relationships to others and current boxing trials.
    Who has seen this or read the manga, I love it but does anyone else have an opinion?
    Last edited by deodaclan18; Mar 25, 2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added quote tags

Visit my blog: Rewriting Life

Otaku Blackbird is off to a good start Blackbird's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hajime ni Ippo (Fighting Spirit)

Well all reviews going to section reviews but I'm have don't seen it yet becuase I'm have been full up with others anime.

Otaku For Life - YouTube - MyAnimeList

Click on my signature to go to ProBlackbird's Blog

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

This is my new favorite manga/anime...

The pro boxer that gets Ippo into the gym is Takamura~He's my new favotire character. lol!

I recccomend checking this series out.... It's got a lot of substance... And even if you don't like boxing, you will after you watch or read this series.
    Last edited by Spike'sRose; Mar 25, 2008 at 11:46 PM.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

I have never been a fan of boxing myself, but the series did certianly put a spin on the sport. I still don't care for boxing, but damn, those fight scenes were pretty cool in the anime. I haven't heard if they were going to continue, but I am hoping that something will show up in the future. Pretty good in my opinion, but wish it were to continue soon.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

I know there are two seasons... At least, that's what I've seen of it so far...
    A friend of mine has been downloading it. O_o;;

I do like the spin they put on boxing with this... They really show the philosophy behind the sport, and not just fighting.~~

Here's a great screen shot for you guys...
     click to show spoiler

PUT LARGE IMAGES IN SPOILER TAGS!!!!! ~Aceman67

That's Takamura... He's a bit arrogant... Slightly obnoxious... A bit of a slob... But a great boxer. He's my new fandom. lol!
    Last edited by aceman67; Mar 30, 2008 at 11:50 PM.

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

I like Hajime no Ippo, seen it four times already.

Some of the "better" sports anime out there provides the viewers a touch of realism and factual information regarding the sport, hajime no ippo is so good at this. Like what i've always said on this forum, the "exaggerated facts" make hajime no ippo believable and artificially entertaining. The life of the boxers in this show outside the ring is very realistic, it shows the hardwork and discipline necessary for boxers...it shows the characters' struggles in making ends meet along with the emotional and physical toll that they undergo.

The strength of the show lies in its entertaining power, you don't even have to be a boxing fan to enjoy this one. The downside of this show is its predictability, on a low note, that is.

Slick visuals, good character development, good character backgrounding, interesting story, informative, HIGHLY entertaining. I also advise people to check this show out...

Takamura is also my favorite character, the strongest character in the show. Yes, stronger than a mountain bear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hantei16 View Post
    I like Hajime no Ippo, seen it four times already.

Some of the "better" sports anime out there provides the viewers a touch of realism and factual information regarding the sport, hajime no ippo is so good at this. Like what i've always said on this forum, the "exaggerated facts" make hajime no ippo believable and artificially entertaining. The life of the boxers in this show outside the ring is very realistic, it shows the hardwork and discipline necessary for boxers...it shows the characters' struggles in making ends meet along with the emotional and physical toll that they undergo.

The strength of the show lies in its entertaining power, you don't even have to be a boxing fan to enjoy this one. The downside of this show is its predictability, on a low note, that is.

Slick visuals, good character development, good character backgrounding, interesting story, informative, HIGHLY entertaining. I also advise people to check this show out...

Takamura is also my favorite character, the strongest character in the show. Yes, stronger than a mountain bear.
    I fully agree...
    I think that's what I liked most about Hajime no Ippo - The lives of the boxers... I'm heavily into martial arts and wanted to start boxing a few years back. ((haven't been able to because of broken bones, but you know lol)) Anyway..
    The life of a fighter is really difficult... And they showed the passion and dedication really well. Even the brusies they get while training is very real... I really like the fact they mentioned "Punch Drunk" too... That's a very real part of boxing
    ((For those who don't know, that's after a match, and taking a lot of blows to the head, little blood vessels rupture - making you dizzy... Or to other people, you look drunk. I've experienced that - It's a really nasty feeling))

yay another Takamura fan. ^_^ Takamura VS Bear made me really happy. ^_^

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not quite sure if a real life boxer can KO a bear, but hey that's one of the factors that makes Hajime no Ippo so entertaining.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast