+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Influence of Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli in general

Newbie zander20 is off to a good start
    Thanks

The Influence of Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli in general

Hey everyone I am doing a disertaion at my university in Britain (Edge Hill if your interested,) researching the effects of Ghibli and in particular Hayao Miyazaki's films on the western media entertainment audience.

I am trying to find out whether Miyazaki and Ghibli has effected western attitude towards anime and whether or not he deserves the credits he is given.

So I am asking you the great anime public whether or not you feel like Ghibli and Hayao himself were major influence's on your relationship with anime.

Or if you were already a champion of japanese animation before Spirited Away came out in the west whether you feel attitudes towards you and your hobby has been changed. Basically whether you feel animation has become more of an accepted art in the west.

Also, why do you think Ghibli above others are so mainstreamly succseful were so many others fail to get consistant and wide ranging coverage and (bottom line) sales.

Finally, I am asking whether or not you feel as if Spirited Away deserved an Academy award when it recieved it in 2003.

(I realise there is other Ghibli films both before and after Spirited Away, some better some worse, its just that in my own personal opinion perception changed from around about when it got the plaudits and recognition. Also i am aware that there is a thread about general 'first time' to anime but this is specifically about Miyazaki and Ghibli, however if you feel I am completely wrong about the idea then please feel free to tell me where and when you think i went wrong. I must also mention I may use any responses in this thread in my initial research reading lists. Obviously its only my university that will see it and it is only academically viewed it is never comercially used in any way and i won't profit from this, apart from maybe having a richer research portfolio)

Any and all responses are welcome.

Thank You

Alexander Laird.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Influence of Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli in general

I can't help you with your paper, but I can give you some advice.

If you haven't already, get a hold of Studio Ghibli films. Get a hold of Miyazaki's work, and see for yourself. Sit and watch Spirited Away, and determine for yourself it deserved the response that it was given.

As it seems quite obvious that you aren't into anime, it may be hard to compare it to other series/films, but you can get a pretty good idea.

I won't do your work for you, but if you Google Miyazaki, you will find amazing articles and interviews that can give you better insight.

Thanks

Quite the contrary, i am very much 'into' anime and have sat and watched pretty much all Ghibli films a couple of times (no this is not the only studio/styles of anime I have seen, i too watch avidly subbed episodes every week). The reason it may come across as if I am not enthralled by anime is because i tried to word my question in as pretty much a neutral a way as not to influence anyones answers for my research. If i come out and say i think he's great and heres why, whats the point in anyone responding. I know why spirited away did so well, both textually and subtextually, i want to know what other people think.

The one thing i would like to make clear is I am asking for peoples opinions, not asking them for a 8000 word thesis. I will be using (if i get anything) this as back up to my already quite conclusive ideas. Its not about me asking people to generate my ideas, with academic work its about getting in some form of print people agreeing to your ideas, to substantiate your argument.

So thanks for your advice but i think google can take a back seat as i need more than just articles on miyazaki to get a decent mark. I may just a few books on the subject already

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, NOW you tell me! haha Just kidding.

You have to understand too that people always post things like this, asking for information about papers and what not. Most of the time it's lazy bums who don't want to do the research themselves. ((Yay you aren't one of those)) Sorry to be so quick to judge, then. V.V

Well...
    Being a lover of Miyazaki's work...

I will say I believe his influence stems many different areas of the world of anime, and really, of animation in general. Miyazaki takes the time to show a very deep story. The animation isn't just characters moving on the screen. Every action, sound, color, facial expression are all ways of showing the story in a more fulfilling way. That way, he can go in depth in a character's background or personality, with little or no dialogue. The story flows, and the viewer is simply pulled into that world... You experience the story, as opposed to being told the story. That's what I love most about his work.

Not to mention his unique character design and animation style are his own, and both instantly recognizable.

Spirited Away was able to reach audiences of all generations and nationalities. From old to young, people found something about the story that they could relate to in some way. I know I found an emotional connection with the film, both artistically and personally. The character design was flawless, in that all the characters, even minor characters and characters in the crowd had very distinct personalities, and I loved that very much.

That's my take on it... I guess I could go on for ages about Miyazaki's work!

Thanks

Thank you for responding a second time after i kinda fixed what i was trying to say. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter and have a couple of similar views myself, only i need more than just views

I appreciate also that maybe people do use forums as lazy grunt work for themselves but i can stress again this isn't me. I too have been insulted by people who inspired by a flavour of the month style reaction to anime, and class themselves as anime fans without watching more than dbz, pokemon or indeed one or two ghibli films (although many still don't know ghibli are a studio or who this miyazaki guy is, i suppose tarrantino hasn't done a blatant rip off of him yet so most people still haven't got the name in their heads, but they will) then to talk with authority on series and films they've never seen or never will. I fully understand where you might have thought i was coming from but rest assured i have a (little) bit of intelligence

Thank you again, you didn't need to make an extra comment but i am really glad you came back and gave me something.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I'd like to believe Miyazaki sensei at least in some positive way influenced the current golden egg shitting minds at Pixar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zander20 View Post
    Thank you for responding a second time after i kinda fixed what i was trying to say. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter and have a couple of similar views myself, only i need more than just views

I appreciate also that maybe people do use forums as lazy grunt work for themselves but i can stress again this isn't me. I too have been insulted by people who inspired by a flavour of the month style reaction to anime, and class themselves as anime fans without watching more than dbz, pokemon or indeed one or two ghibli films (although many still don't know ghibli are a studio or who this miyazaki guy is, i suppose tarrantino hasn't done a blatant rip off of him yet so most people still haven't got the name in their heads, but they will) then to talk with authority on series and films they've never seen or never will. I fully understand where you might have thought i was coming from but rest assured i have a (little) bit of intelligence

Thank you again, you didn't need to make an extra comment but i am really glad you came back and gave me something.
    Of course. ^.^ There's more I wanted to add, but my brain was a bit mushy after a long day at work. >.< And besides, I crave good conversation on anime, and if it can help you out then that rules too. :P

I meant to add yesterday...

I do believe that anime can be accepted more now as an art form thanks to Studio Ghibli. I always suggest their films to people who want to check out anime. That way they can see it's not just Pokemon and DBZ. There's a whole range of stories to be told with anime, and animation in general.

I've been watching anime for about 18 years almost! I was 5 when I saw Mobile Suit Gundam for the first time, and later when I was 7 I saw Galaxy Express 999. (thanks to the lady that my mom was friend's with) When I first saw Miyazaki's work, I felt like a new fan all over again. The way I felt when I saw all those old animes as a kid. I felt my appreciation renewed and grow with his work. I have also been inspired, as an artist and writer, to think deeper about my creations.

Anyway, like I said, I could go on!

+ Reply to Thread