+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Intelligent Anime.

Newbie Aezur may be famous one day Aezur may be famous one day Aezur's Avatar
    Thanks

Intelligent Anime.

I have been watching anime for a number of years but i live in Ireland so my oppurtunities were limited. I recently however gained access to broadband and thus broadened my horizens. In my early days i got some classics like Akira and Ghost in the shell but have recently been folowing the exploits of Light and 'L' in Death Note.

My question is this;

Is there any other quality, intelligent animes. Less fighting, more thinking? And are they on par with Death Note. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Judge me all you want, Just don't tell me the verdict.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Intelligent Anime.

Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms): A withdrawn, unpopular do-gooder is drawn into a conflict in another world along with the school outcast and another classmate. There they become players in the revolution of one of Twelve Countries and eventually part of the story of each of the other kingdoms in turn. The music is lovely, the politics are complex, and the world draws heavily on Chinese mythology and the concept of "Divine Right" to rule. It starts out a bit overdramatic and is, unfortunately, incomplete (both in it's novel and anime formats)... but it's solid quality the whole way through.

BERSERK: A seinen series with a great deal of fighting, blood, boobs and guts. Oddly enough, it's also host to some of the most complex political and character interactions I've ever seen. Again... it's unfortunately incomplete and the anime is a bit dated: but it's a wonderful introduction to what's probably the best manga fantasy series ever written.

Rah Xephon: More or less a more subtle re-imagining of Neon Genesis Evangelion. A mech series with beautiful music, complex characters, amazing artwork and at least one episode that will bring even some of the blackest hearts to tears.

the films of Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress, etc): A fabulous director for animated films that are both entertaining and thought-provoking.

There are quite a few more... but all the material listed here is more than worthy. No point overfilling the plate.

Devoted Otaku Power Play Champion gaarasandkiller1 is off to a good start gaarasandkiller1's Avatar
    Thanks

well if your looking for thinking one naruto does have its moments tho it has fighting so hmm Tonari No Totoro would be the only one i can think of of the top my head its hard to remember^_^
    *All the same i will kill you all,Gaara* (yes i made my own siggy

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gaarasandkiller1 View Post
    well if your looking for thinking one naruto does have its moments tho it has fighting so hmm Tonari No Totoro would be the only one i can think of of the top my head its hard to remember^_^
    um, yeah, Naruto is not intelligent. You'd then have to say that Dragon Ball was thought provoking and smart...and My Neighbor Totoro is generally a film for kids ^_^;;

Mushi-shi comes to mind as an intelligent bit of anime. Might be a little slow in comparison to Deathnote but worth a shot.

Newbie Navy Cherub is off to a good start Navy Cherub's Avatar
    Thanks

Mushi-shi is a good example, as Evol said. Ghost in the Shell has it's philosophical undertones and such, and they usually take some thought to consider. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a silly, lighthearted anime that takes things to another thought provoking level as it progresses. Welcome to the N.H.K.! is a great anime examining human psychology in many different ways and in many different types of people. Overall I think Welcome to the N.H.K.! is your best bet, because it even surpasses Death Note in terms of how much the viewer has to think, but I recommend the light novel over the anime.
    Last edited by Navy Cherub; Jan 09, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I recommend checking out the Ghost in the Shell universe a bit further. The two Stand Alone Complex series are nice political thrillers.

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

You might also check out Spiral. The ending wasn't all that great but the story it's self had a few things that you had to figure out. Over all it wasn't that bad.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

One thing that I've done, is to check the Japanese award sites to see what the Japanese Anime community consider what is the best of the best. And I have yet to do wrong with any of the purchases (so far) from the awards list...

The two significant Award groups with English web pages are...

Awards Winners Archive - Tokyo International Anime Fair 2008:

and

2007(11th)Japan Media Arts Festival | Japan Media Arts Plaza:
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast